Quantcast

Epic rides....where to go?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
So I cancelled plans for a 24 hour race next week, but I still have the time off of work and a friend willing to drive me somewhere and go riding for three days. So I have all of California as a possibility(heading from the Bay Area) and need some ideas for some epic riding. We're talking about the start at 6am and end at 8pm type of ride that you would kill for. Something that not everyone gets to do, but everyone wants to.

I have some ideas, but want to know, if you could ride anywhere in CA where would you go? For a cross country rider. Fitness isn't really an issue.

Oh and if anyone is down to show us local trails....well, we'll bring the beer.

The Ito

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
What's up Ryan? How was Mammoth? I have some seriously amazing trails but alas I cannot ride :( There are some really cool folks down in the Concord/Danville/Oakland area that can hook up the all day epic rides. Ask for Steve Beck @ California pedaler or go and see Jose @ Danville bike. Jose will hook up the dream ride in any area in the Trampas/ diablo regions. When I get back in the new year if you remember, hit me up and I'll show you some epic stuff. Also hit up Eric Brady at Ray's in vacaville. He's really strong and loves to ride the epic butter.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Downieville is always calling to the epic riders. Also the rubicon and Loon lake death march rides are truly epic. The rubicon has been called one of the three most difficult trails in the world...very skill building and worth all the suffering for sure!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Heath Sherratt said:
Downieville is always calling to the epic riders. Also the rubicon and Loon lake death march rides are truly epic. The rubicon has been called one of the three most difficult trails in the world...very skill building and worth all the suffering for sure!
That's a fun one. I've only ever done it as a point to point though. Tahoe to Loon.

Look up the grouse ridge trail. There are some huge and pretty dern scenic loops you can put together out there.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The others have some great ideas. If you want to stay closer to sea level and not be so worried about high country weather, check out Henry Coe State Park too. Endless, ripe for an overnighter - you could probably do two 12 hours days without repeating the same trails. Not as technical as up in the mountains, but I dream about some of the super fast and tight ridgeline trails out there. Bring a water filter if you go - I usually go through three 100 oz bladders in a long day out there and there are very few potable water sources.

And oh yeah, watch out for wild pigs.

http://www.coepark.org/

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
OGRipper said:
The others have some great ideas. If you want to stay closer to sea level and not be so worried about high country weather, check out Henry Coe State Park too. Endless, ripe for an overnighter - you could probably do two 12 hours days without repeating the same trails. Not as technical as up in the mountains, but I dream about some of the super fast and tight ridgeline trails out there. Bring a water filter if you go - I usually go through three 100 oz bladders in a long day out there and there are very few potable water sources.

And oh yeah, watch out for wild pigs.

http://www.coepark.org/
Holy $hit, dude - I wanna come out there and ride some of that stuff witch ya! :thumb: :drool:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
OGRipper said:
Check out this group, a bunch of cool people that live for the pain cave:

http://coecore.homestead.com/

The annual "10,000 feet of Coe" is a real sufferfest. They tried 15K this year but nobody could actually do it.

Here is an average ride down there, check the profile:

http://coecore.homestead.com/BestXCoe.html
Hmmmm........ looks like a fun ride. :sneaky: We did a Vail ride earlier this year that was around 35 miles and "only" 6100 feet of climbing. Good times.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SkaredShtles said:
Hmmmm........ looks like a fun ride. :sneaky: We did a Vail ride earlier this year that was around 35 miles and "only" 6100 feet of climbing. Good times.

That sounds pretty sweet, and harder at that elevation.

I have a love/hate relationship with Coe park. On a good day it makes you suffer hard. On a bad day forget it, it's torture. But it has lots of rewards too - plenty of remote deer path-style singletrack, very few other users, bomber ridgeline spines, swimming holes, etc.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
OGRipper said:
That sounds pretty sweet, and harder at that elevation.

I have a love/hate relationship with Coe park. On a good day it makes you suffer hard. On a bad day forget it, it's torture. But it has lots of rewards too - plenty of remote deer path-style singletrack, very few other users, bomber ridgeline spines, swimming holes, etc.
Sounds like a good place! It's on my list of places to ride before I die. :thumb: