Quantcast

Episode 3

J

JRB

MikeD said:
umm...yeah. Don't follow you.

MD
What's not to follow??? They are his films. He can do what he wants. He is the Ridemonkey of Star Wars.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
MikeD said:
THAT I can answer. The Star Wars movies are based on old samurai films, Kurosawa's "The Hidden Fortress" being the actual inspriation for Ep 4.

In Japanese swordfighting, cutting off of the wrist or wrists is a classic cut...the other targets are the head, the side of the breastplate, and the throat. Sometimes the shin, as well, but that's more with a spear. It (cutting at the wrist) is called "Kote..." (koh-tay) The wrists are pretty vulnerable in a swordfight, getting stuck out there all the time.

I'm not so much a Star Wars geek as a general film geek. Plus my girlfriend asked the same question after the movie, so I had time to think about it.

MD

Like Kurosawa I'd make mad films.
'kay I don't make films.
But if I did they'd have a Samurai.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
loco said:
What's not to follow??? They are his films. He can do what he wants. He is the Ridemonkey of Star Wars.
Oh, I guess we'd all better not comment on them, then. Someone delete this thread!!

MD

J

JRB

MikeD said:
Oh, I guess we'd all better not comment on them, then. Someone delete this thread!!

MD
You satinists are just tooooo serious.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Heath Sherratt said:
Lord opie, the emperor didn't even know he was there until after the boy was in trouble. Watch it again, he was on his back without a saber before Anakin even stepped into the room.
Psh whatever man, Lord Sidious knows almost everything since he's so good with the force (even if its the bad side). He probably knew Anakin was gonna show up when he landed at the building. :rolleyes: Duh! lol ;)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Heath Sherratt said:
Lord opie, the emperor didn't even know he was there until after the boy was in trouble. Watch it again, he was on his back without a saber before Anakin even stepped into the room.
That's Darth Opie to you. Question me not

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Just watched it and i thought lots of it was just kind of cut off like the random quick cuts between battles in the middle. The last 30 or so minutes were great and in the sake of being entertained by the films i liked it a lot.

I think the main tale behind the movie is. Bros before hoes.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
mobius said:
Just watched it and i thought lots of it was just kind of cut off like the random quick cuts between battles in the middle. The last 30 or so minutes were great and in the sake of being entertained by the films i liked it a lot.

they had to cut some of the fighting scenes to get around the "R" rating...Anakin was much more brutal in the book!....D

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
BMXman said:
they had to cut some of the fighting scenes to get around the "R" rating...Anakin was much more brutal in the book!....D
I don't get the whole "book" thing...I mean, the whole series is Lucas' vision, a movie from the ground up. So who wrote all these books and franchises and spinoffs, and were their efforts guided by Lucas? Did he give the authors a basic plot to follow...or do his movies follow the plots invented by other authors after the fact?

MD

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I think he gave the rights to a few people so they could further the continuity...there are a ton of good side stories out there...D

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
mobius said:
Ok, that just made me crack up!!!!!

Just saw it last night and I enjoyed it. Answered most everything I wanted answered and some good fight scenes to boot.

One thing I found odd.....so, Anakin and Padame are apparently close friends of something of that nature, to "outsiders" or why would Obi-wan have come there looking for him at some point in the movie??? And did no one put two and two together that hmmmm.....she's knocked up???? I wonder if this jedi knight who's been the only dude hanging out here just might possible be the father...hmmmm??? Aren't they supposed to be masters of the force????

I think one of my favorite scenes was Yoda walking in to see Palpatine and not even blinking and "BAM" security dudes go flying...don't know why, just cracked me up.

Coming home Freak and I were talking about it and he commented "I still don't believe the whole fighting on the lava bit"....wait a second, you have half machine half men running around, dudes fighting with light sabers, and little green men doing kick butt kung fu moves and that's what you don't believe....LOL!!!!! :D

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Velocity Girl said:
I wonder if this jedi knight who's been the only dude hanging out here just might possible be the father...hmmmm??? Aren't they supposed to be masters of the force????

I think one of my favorite scenes was Yoda walking in to see Palpatine and not even blinking and "BAM" security dudes go flying...don't know why, just cracked me up.
Ha, yeah, back to my rules...

Last Rule: The Force only lets you know of the future or distant events when it's important to the plot.

Oh, and aren't jedi not supposed to use the Force for offense? I mean, Yoda kicks some ass with it, Obi Wan drops a proverbial space-piano on a bunch of attacking robots... Guess maybe it's another rule.

(Which also reminds me: Star Wars has surpassed James Bond for the "surround your enemy while trying to kill him and then suddenly decide not to kill him while spouting a monolouge" factor. Add on to that the "I could definitely kill you via my many minions with guns pointed at you, but will instead engage you in single combat factor...")

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Velocity Girl said:
Ok, that just made me crack up!!!!!

Just saw it last night and I enjoyed it. Answered most everything I wanted answered and some good fight scenes to boot.

One thing I found odd.....so, Anakin and Padame are apparently close friends of something of that nature, to "outsiders" or why would Obi-wan have come there looking for him at some point in the movie??? And did no one put two and two together that hmmmm.....she's knocked up???? I wonder if this jedi knight who's been the only dude hanging out here just might possible be the father...hmmmm??? Aren't they supposed to be masters of the force????
They all knew they just didn't comment on it. If you noticed at one time Obi-wan or palpatine mentioned her being pregnant and he goes what did you say? They can tell these things they just don't out right say it so im sure that everyone else (jedi wise) knew and probably some close people.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
MikeD said:
Add on to that the "I could definitely kill you via my many minions with guns pointed at you, but will instead engage you in single combat factor...")
Scott Evil: What? Are you feeding him? Why don't you just kill him?
Dr. Evil: I have an even better idea. I'm going to place him in an easily escapable situation involving an overly elaborate and exotic death.

Scott Evil: Wait, aren't you even going to watch them? They could get away!
Dr. Evil: No, no, no. I'm going to leave them alone and not actually witness them dying. I'm just gonna assume it all went to plan. . . .What?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
MikeD said:
Ha, yeah, back to my rules...

Last Rule: The Force only lets you know of the future or distant events when it's important to the plot.

Oh, and aren't jedi not supposed to use the Force for offense? I mean, Yoda kicks some ass with it, Obi Wan drops a proverbial space-piano on a bunch of attacking robots... Guess maybe it's another rule.

(Which also reminds me: Star Wars has surpassed James Bond for the "surround your enemy while trying to kill him and then suddenly decide not to kill him while spouting a monolouge" factor. Add on to that the "I could definitely kill you via my many minions with guns pointed at you, but will instead engage you in single combat factor...")
one has to be aware of the force at all times and it takes a level of discipline that not all have...Yoda sensed an attack so he defended himself same woth Obi-won...sort of beating the man to the punch....star wars rules ;)...D

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Heh heh...now that a lot of folks have just seen Episode 3, Episode 4: A New Hope is backlogged on Netflix.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Velocity Girl said:
Awesome observations.
The audience along with myself really got a kick out of that when i went as well. A real no nonsense approach with his need to kick some ass. He struggles in these scenes, all creaky green and moldy, but then doesn't waste much time doin what he needs to do when the fight is on.

Velocity Girl said:
Coming home Freak and I were talking about it and he commented "I still don't believe the whole fighting on the lava bit"....wait a second, you have half machine half men running around, dudes fighting with light sabers, and little green men doing kick butt kung fu moves and that's what you don't believe....LOL!!!!! :D
Exactly i'm pretty sure there is no sound or enough oxygen for fire in space either. Trying to wrap your head around a movie is really pointless, if i did that i wouldn't enjoy any flicks, i'd be too busy trying to determine what was wrong with them.
i think millions of people seem to be guilty of that, with all the recent sci-fi flicks that come out, anyways.

i dunno i just eat my really expensive popcorn and cherry soda and enjoy the ride. :p

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Velocity Girl said:
"I still don't believe the whole fighting on the lava bit"
Well, if you want to analyze it, the lava didn't affect them cuz they were using the force to protect themselves from the heat. One friend was like, "d00d, why didn't they just use a force punch to knock the other one into the lava." Guess their force was so directed to protecting themselves.

I suppose that's why Vader so easily caught on fire... getting your legs chopped off must've brought is force-field down.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i finally saw it last night. and i approve. big :thumb: from me, with the exception of "NOOOOOOOOO!", the whole "you look so beautiful" "it's because i'm so in love with you!" exchange, and the slight overuse :D of dark side profile shots of anakin.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Toshi said:
i finally saw it last night. and i approve. big :thumb: from me, with the exception of "NOOOOOOOOO!", the whole "you look so beautiful" "it's because i'm so in love with you!" exchange, and the slight overuse :D of dark side profile shots of anakin.
You would think that with all the people Lucas has working for him, SOMEBODY could have convinced him the whole "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" thing was Dangerously Cheesy.