Quantcast

Equivalent Shimano XT 11speed in SRAM?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yup, depends on your budget.
FWIW, XT cassette weighs 450g, and the GX weighs 396.
x01 weighs 275, so that’s a really big difference.
I’ve weighed several 11spd x01s, I get 265, only the finish is different compared to xx1. I’m not sure it’s an apples apples comparison with SRAM. I have both 11spd XT and X01 and I still have the 11spd XTR stuff, but it's trashed now. I think the "gap" between X01 and XX1 is a lot smaller than XT and XTR. There tend to be some significant workings and weight differences between XT and XTR and those gaps are usually much smaller with X01. XT is also generally cheaper than X01. The thing about the X01/XX1 level cassettes though is the amazing longevity. Even compared to something like a SLX, it's still cheaper for me to own the X01 looking at cost per year. I had the XTR 11spd go out after about 1.5 seasons, not unusual for Shimano stuff IME, but the SRAM X-dome stuff is more than twice as long, past 4 seasons for me. I still haven't completely killed one after about 5 years, although I did replace the top gear with a wolftooth because at about 4 seasons I did wear that part out finally. So the Shimano cassettes are cheaper, but IME they'll last shorter. They are also much heavier, plus there's no good reason they make them in like 6 parts still. So back to the topic at hand, I find X01 to be a higher level than XT...but generally more expensive too.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I’ve weighed several 11spd x01s, I get 265, only the finish is different compared to xx1. I’m not sure it’s an apples apples comparison with SRAM. I have both 11spd XT and X01 and I still have the 11spd XTR stuff, but it's trashed now. I think the "gap" between X01 and XX1 is a lot smaller than XT and XTR. There tend to be some significant workings and weight differences between XT and XTR and those gaps are usually much smaller with X01. XT is also generally cheaper than X01. The thing about the X01/XX1 level cassettes though is the amazing longevity. Even compared to something like a SLX, it's still cheaper for me to own the X01 looking at cost per year. I had the XTR 11spd go out after about 1.5 seasons, not unusual for Shimano stuff IME, but the SRAM X-dome stuff is more than twice as long, past 4 seasons for me. I still haven't completely killed one after about 5 years, although I did replace the top gear with a wolftooth because at about 4 seasons I did wear that part out finally. So the Shimano cassettes are cheaper, but IME they'll last shorter. They are also much heavier, plus there's no good reason they make them in like 6 parts still. So back to the topic at hand, I find X01 to be a higher level than XT...but generally more expensive too.
One other side note, is that depending if your freehub is made of cheese or not, Shimano cassettes will chew them up quick, in comparison to Sram XD versions.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think we're at 3 years on our trail bikes with SRAM 1150 cassettes which are the pinned ones with a steel 42T, all of the other XD's have alu big cogs, that big cog gets plenty of use around here too.

I think I've only got a couple of years on the hardtails with 1195's, so can't comment on them for longevity.

As for the original question, SRAM equivalent to XT is probably a mix between GX, X1 and X01.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
To the OP, do you have a shimano freehub, or an xd freehub?
(obvious question is obvious)
Ahhh I totally forgot about this thread. Shimano freehub currently, but I can change it to XD.

Currently I'm on a Franken-shimano 10 speed setup and it seems to work 'ok', although I was just contemplating scrapping it and changing everything.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Ahhh I totally forgot about this thread. Shimano freehub currently, but I can change it to XD.

Currently I'm on a Franken-shimano 10 speed setup and it seems to work 'ok', although I was just contemplating scrapping it and changing everything.
You can definitely mix the Shimano cassette quite happily with SRAM gearing, I did for years with an 11 speed XTR, wife did with an XT.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
There is no equivalent because Shimano > SRAM especially when it comes to general longevity and reliability. (XX1 chain accepted).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There is no equivalent because Shimano > SRAM especially when it comes to general longevity and reliability. (XX1 chain accepted).
Unfortunately, when it comes to 1x, I have several examples of the opposite. XTR rear D, died. XTR cassette, 1.5 seasons (1 out of 4 bikes, so not even that heavily used). The new XTR shifters are failing intermittently too. The new "silence" hub or whatever has been a debacle. Shimano brakes anyone?

There was a time back in the 2000s where no reputable company would make a SRAM build bike and the SRAM stuff, mostly rebadged Sachs, was just crap and didn't catch up. That changed with 1x. If you buy the lower level SRAM stuff, it's a little lower than the equivalent Shimano, but the GX and higher is pretty damn good. It's not 2005 anymore.

This doesn't mean the SRAM stuff is perfect, but Shimano has enough issues that you better not be telling me that their **** doesn't stink some too.