Quantcast

Ergo bars

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have a lingering wrist injury that seems to be exacerbated by mountain biking. For a while, I had to take a break from MTB due to the pain, and I've seen an ortho surgeon, physical therapist, and got cortisone shots twice. I realized that part of the reason I switched to road was the position doesn't hurt my wrists.

I'm wondering if anybody has used or investigated "ergo" bars that have like 15* or more bend to them. I want to maintain as much control as possible, but I would gladly give up some go-fast speed if I can actually ride a flat bar bike for an hour without pain for the next 3-4 days. I don't want full drop bars, but I see some examples like the Salsa bend 2 that might fit the bill

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've never used some with that much, but I think I used 12deg in the distant past and quite liked them. But my bars are probably 120mm wider now than those were with a lot more sustained descents, e.g. 1700ft out my door.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah, I remember some titec hellbent that were super comfortable...but they were also like 620mm flat bars.

I'm running some 800s that are cut down to like 750. Could probably do 720-750 without issue, but I don't know what wacky bent 750s are going to feel like.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I doubt you'll know till you try it yourself. Seems like a worthy hypothesis to test. Some of the cromo/aluminum options are fairly cheap...try one and see if it helps, fine tune from there with a final option?

And what's the price on being able to ride comfortably?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I used to run a Hell Bent when I was having wrist injuries.

I have an SQLabs 12/4 degree sweep bar I used when I was having thumb problems, it did the trick. You are welcome to try it out if'n ya like. 31.8mm diameter 780mm wide.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You could try a Jones Loop or Bend bar, there might even be some clones on Aliexpressbay.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I used to run a Hell Bent when I was having wrist injuries.

I have an SQLabs 12/4 degree sweep bar I used when I was having thumb problems, it did the trick. You are welcome to try it out if'n ya like. 31.8mm diameter 780mm wide.
Thanks, that's mighty kind of you. Let me see how my wrist does after switching to riser bars and we can go from there. Sounds like 12* is a great compromise vs. the 16 or even weirder.