Quantcast

Eric Carter answers your questions - Vail Lake Resort Bike Park

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
I think that it is a rela areally good use of resources and man power. So Cal really has needed a place to ride DH, and maybe now we can quit having races in the LA ghetto

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Great job EC!!!!! Anytime you want to come help out in the South East let us know. We are in bad need of some bike parks here with many ski resorts around. Just need to get them to understand we are here to stay and spend $$$ just like the old days of snow boarding.......:cheers:

Cecil

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Screw the Bay area...You guys all have PLENTY of riding. Bring yo azz to SOUTH DA-FREAKING-KOTA! We got nuthin here!
I gotta shout respects to a man refusing to fade away! Awesome to see you still rollin, EC. Even got your mug in Bike mag! Noice... :)

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Holy crap...got to the second picture and wasn't expecting to see other people in the feature...Eric...Yeti...? WHAT??? But then all was good.
Division 26, eh? Sweet, dude.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Big thanks to EC!! It's good to see something actually getting off the ground in SoCal after the Baldy thing was canned so far into the project.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
everybody loves Stampy.
While I do want that Stampy, it's not the one I'm refering to. Its kinda like a lamberton rake, but MUCH more heavy duty. The head is about 10" x 10" square, made of 1" plate steel. It had 5 freakin' HUGE teeth cut in it on one edge with a plasma cutter. Weighs about 15lbs. eats through dirt and tree roots. Even smashes through reasonably sized rocks.

Buddy of mine made a few, I'm trying to get my hands on one.

all y'all from other regions - BACK OFF!!! we got him and we ain't lettin' go until his work is done here. get your own rockstar.
Damn straight. Me and some other sharpshooters are going to vail lake in our Ghillie suits and keeping overwatch on EC while he does his thing on the skid steer. Dont even think about it!

E.C.P.F.
Eric Carter Protection Force.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Pick axes are nice. So are Stampy's.

Oh dude, don't get me started!!! I made one with a 12"x12" base and a friggin slide hammer style, springloaded 5lb weight on it!!!! YAHOOOO!!!!! Sounds like I'm working on the damn railroad when I get thumpin with that thing!
Best thing about it though has to be the "I HEART DIRT" decal on the slide weight...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh dude, don't get me started!!! I made one with a 12"x12" base and a friggin slide hammer style, springloaded 5lb weight on it!!!! YAHOOOO!!!!! Sounds like I'm working on the damn railroad when I get thumpin with that thing!
Best thing about it though has to be the "I HEART DIRT" decal on the slide weight...
pics?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
NO, dangit! And on top of that, I left it out at a build and I don't think it was "borrowed" as no one else really builds, but I can't find it... I have a lovely back up one, and it DID get borrowed(by a bud, so it'll come home some day), but sounds almost EXACTLY like the Bullcrew's Mom Stamper: 1/4" plate with gnarly teeth on one side, sharpened edge on the other, 12"x10" base, gussets, and a removeable end cap on the handle so you can fill it with sand! Teehee... And still, no pics? Not sure what's wrong with me...

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Damn I would not want to add weight to my tamper. That things gets heavy as hell when you spend two hours tamping things.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
NO, dangit! And on top of that, I left it out at a build and I don't think it was "borrowed" as no one else really builds, but I can't find it... I have a lovely back up one, and it DID get borrowed(by a bud, so it'll come home some day), but sounds almost EXACTLY like the Bullcrew's Mom Stamper: 1/4" plate with gnarly teeth on one side, sharpened edge on the other, 12"x10" base, gussets, and a removeable end cap on the handle so you can fill it with sand! Teehee... And still, no pics? Not sure what's wrong with me...
1/4" plate? B*tch please!! 1" plate steel is where its at. i blasted that thing through a rock the size of a bowling ball!! :rockout:

Actually yours sounds pretty sweet.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Well...you have tampers...then you have STAMPERS. When you wanna leave your mark in a hurry! Basically I pull out Joe Dirt when everyone was in too much of a rush to pack-as-we-piled...

droplover

Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
Colorado
You know, I'm really surprised it's taken this long to get something like this going since Big Bear got shut down 4 years ago....it was a really, really fun place to ride.:happydance: With all the land and resources available, I'm sure the "fun factor" of this new bike park will exceed the fun factor Big Bear once had.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

yes, but considering the lack of interest shown by many landowners and all the cities because of the liability issues from how ridiculously extreme our sport is, i can understand...

which is why i cant wait to spend some time in Costa Rica!!!
Family, Surfing AND DHing? oooohhhhohoho count me IN!

this is sooo awesome though!!! i cant wait!

droplover

Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
Colorado
yes, but considering the lack of interest shown by many landowners and all the cities because of the liability issues from how ridiculously extreme our sport is, i can understand...
that lack of interest is unfortunate for our sport.....probably ripple effects from that kid who tried to sue Big Bear for millions...:rant:

which is why i cant wait to spend some time in Costa Rica!!!
Family, Surfing AND DHing? oooohhhhohoho count me IN!

this is sooo awesome though!!! i cant wait!
lucky!

definitley... its unfortunate for all action sports. but then again, for the most popular ones, such as skating, i dont think the cities view the risk as so much of a liability issue as they view how what seems like 80% of the people that skate nowadays act... but seemingly as for all things, one bad apple ruins the bunch...

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
definitley... its unfortunate for all action sports. but then again, for the most popular ones, such as skating, i dont think the cities view the risk as so much of a liability issue as they view how what seems like 80% of the people that skate nowadays act... but seemingly as for all things, one bad apple ruins the bunch...
Skating has been around for a lot longer than DH. Even when I was a full time skater... 8 years ago, parks were hard to come by. There were only 2 parks in SD when I rode, now there are a lot. Skating was, and still is looked down on by property owners same as DH is now. Difference is the land needed for a skate park doesn't come close to the amount of acreage a bike park needs.
Regardless, I'm super excited for EC's project. This is going to be amazing, a park close to SD! Can't wait.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
I want to mention something here......right now I'm getting a lot of praise for getting this going but there have been others that have been instrumental in helping this project along.

Robert Herber and his Father have helped out a bunch, we had numerous meetings on this project that seemed like we were going to go in circle's forever... and i can tell you Robert is working as hard as i have been doing XC trails out there to make a complete and rounded park.

Jason Renoa (sp?) has his successful 12 hr race series and has also built a number of trails out there.

Laird @ granny gear and Dave @ Xterra...these guys holding events has been a big help as well....all of this has been building up to the gravity portion. without these events there would have never been MTB out there.

and the crop of XC riders currently riding at the resort...the consistent use of the property has shown that there is a interest for this stuff in all disciplines.

i was lucky enough to be invited out there to meet Bill through Robert and got a chance to propose the gravity park to Bill...i know I'm not the first person, i just think i was the first person that Bill thought was truly knowledgeable about gravity based on my accomplishments as a racer.

thanks for all the good words on this deal.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Props to all, this will make for a great "demo" case to show others what works. However, since the midwest is an easy ten years behind Cali, it'll be awhile till we get it rollin!

BC, got a website for Division 26, yet? Or atleast more info? I need fresh gear, bro...

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
That has to be the most insane set of conditions...

Take one part EC, one part epic landscape, healthy dose of, full land owner cooperation and backing, toss in a lake and a bunch of other rec actives for some extra flavor. Top it all off with killer camping.

Shake, Bake and let set for one year.

Enjoy.