Quantcast

Eric Carter talks about Vail Lake video

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Nice. It's always good to see pros using their influenceto give-back and grow the sport. Carter was always a classy guy before this initiative, but this definitely puts him in the top from a mountain bike legend/historical perspecitive.

If only it wasn't 3000 miles away!

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Race in May!!!!
Nope...... would have loved to....

but courses are not ready for any type of traffic, we need some water.

but once the DH course's get up and running and the park is open i would like to hold a series of local races and if I'm half way decent at that a bigger festival next year some time.

Homey

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The O.C.
Any chance of carving out a DS course?? There are still a few die hard DS guys out there that would love to see that...plus it's a little cheaper to get into that sport (= more people).

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Nice. It's always good to see pros using their influenceto give-back and grow the sport. Carter was always a classy guy before this initiative, but this definitely puts him in the top from a mountain bike legend/historical perspecitive.

If only it wasn't 3000 miles away!

Big ups to EC. Hope that thing blows up like crazy...because if it does that means SoCal gets back on board the DH craze and the whole industry will get that much more amped up to go out and get some real sponsors again.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
So freakin psyched for this. With Vail Lake opening and The Stump Grinder Dirt club and Elings park expanding there's more venues and more RACES! Yeah So-Cal!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
now if you all can make sure you don't burn the whole place down or go sliding off into the ocean...it should work really well.

Hey EC...what about rigging a 5 x8 landscape trailer with tall tires and a water tank to a Mule (the motorized kind) and hosing it that way? Just cut the mud flaps off the trailer and install a set of lift blocks on the leaf springs, strap the tank on and away you go.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
we have an area planned out for DS and MTX....but it's not something that is a priority....main deal is getting the DH courses up and running,

we are looking into different type's of watering systems to try to get this thing off the ground.

without water i keep telling the owner not to open it up to traffic.....it would just create lots of erosion and maintenance issues at a later date.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
we are looking into different type's of watering systems to try to get this thing off the ground.

without water i keep telling the owner not to open it up to traffic.....it would just create lots of erosion and maintenance issues at a later date.

what about a water tank up top and some of those garden misting deals, one on each side of the trail, running the entire length?

i realize that's a little crazy, but how cool would it be to mist down the trail at the end of every day?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
what about a water tank up top and some of those garden misting deals, one on each side of the trail, running the entire length?

i realize that's a little crazy, but how cool would it be to mist down the trail at the end of every day?
There would be quite a bit of loss to evaporation.
A drip irrigation system would be great, but getting it to disperse evenly would be very difficult

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I actually saw footage of a place in europe doing just this. They have commercial watering system down the side of the course and spray it down at regular intervals.

Perpetual hero dirt.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
it would take a storm not an overcast day.....we are looking into alternatives to waiting for weather to get the trails packed to a point of being ridable for large numbers.

everyone get on your moccasins and start dancing around

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
it would take a storm not an overcast day.....we are looking into alternatives to waiting for weather to get the trails packed to a point of being ridable for large numbers.

everyone get on your moccasins and start dancing around
Can any water be sucked out of that lake to be used on trails, or is that a no-no?

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
What would it take to get water if it doesn't rain? Maybe someone on here has the connections to get it done?

Another thought would be to throw one race and use the profits to buy a watering system. ... If that's possible, I don't know what the dirt is like.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
looking into all those options.........i would say the leader of the race is water truck and fire hose....followed closely by gravity feed sprinkler system.

i would say fire hose deal to get things up and running and then later date sprinkler system.

there are also a couple of races that will be using the shuttle road....so until these events are complete i don't see the park being opened
good thing is the owner wants it open now...so he is motivated to get stuff done and is working towards it which is a different story then say 3 months ago.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Not doubting your assessment because I don't know the area........but dry dirt can pack eventually if things are built well (ie turns that people won't be sliding or locking brakes through)

Northstar is about as dry as it gets and hard lines do form with zero precip in a summer. I'm not talking about livewire......I mean years past.

I've built plenty of trails in the same dirt that have hardened as well with zero water. Again I don't know vail lake but I've seen it happen here. There's a network of trails nearby in nevada that you can literally build rideable jumps with completely dry dirt. Pretty amazing stuff and not representative of all soil but still.....

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
woo if you can get his dirt to pack with no water i think you could walk on H20......after working on the Skid steer i'm confident that i was the all time champion of the booger contest! picture building jumps with bags of Flour......there is actually a climb called Chalk hill on some of the XC stuff.

i found some wet dirt when building a couple feet down and it packed very good...motos have hit the jumps and not torn them up.

but i'm positive we need some precip, real or manufactured.

Not doubting your assessment because I don't know the area........but dry dirt can pack eventually if things are built well (ie turns that people won't be sliding or locking brakes through)

Northstar is about as dry as it gets and hard lines do form with zero precip in a summer. I'm not talking about livewire......I mean years past.

I've built plenty of trails in the same dirt that have hardened as well with zero water. Again I don't know vail lake but I've seen it happen here.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
woo if you can get his dirt to pack with no water i think you could walk on H20......after working on the Skid steer i'm confident that i was the all time champion of the booger contest! picture building jumps with bags of Flour......there is actually a climb called Chalk hill on some of the XC stuff.
That pretty much describes northstar :D

I'm not talking about building a bunch of perfect squared off lips as much as I am about wearing in a trail. I was more thinking that singletrack would get the place open as a priority over a bunch of sculpted dirt features.

I've just seen some turns wear in before in extremely dry places with no water. Everything up here is either decomposed granite or volcanic very fine dust. For the norcal guys, you remember gypsy the first two weeks northstar was open? Nothing but piles of powder. By midsummer, the turns that weren't poorly placed were well grooved in.

Again, I don't know the dirt down there and I don't know how much restriction you guys have with erosion regulation and who you need to be on your best behavior for........I just wanted to share what I've seen in what's probably the shlttiest dirt I've ever worked with. It takes traffic though. Either way, I wish you guys some luck. Good work heading this up.

Gobig

Chimp
May 10, 2007
Looks Great. You going to have Winter Events E.C? 4x, SD? Great Job. Not seen you at Wahoos for awhile !

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Gobig! hahaha love it, not sure bout winter series stuff...don't want to force rides to choose between Donnies winter series at Fontana and the Vail lake stuff......

Donnie has done a great job out there and i want to respect what he has built...

maybe some spring and fall stuff though.

i haven'tbeen to wahoo's for ever...been outta town

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
yup, just not yet....when the complete trail network is agreed upon we are going to ask for some volunteer help to get the park completed.

By the sound of all the help being offered we are going to have a sick trail building party.

E.C. - Any way us local riders can help out?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
How cum yer PM box is always FULL, E.C.? How the heck am I supposed to stalk you under these conditions? Can I atleast have your unlisted, private home number then? Maybe an address...?
:)

Jul 16, 2007
When is the movie coming out?
When I say so! We just started editing and we have hours and hours of footage.We will have a new trailer in a few weeks to replace the old lame one and by then I will have a better idea of a release a date.So ask me again later and let me get back to the maddness of editing. Thanks oh and I will be in Colorado soon so I guess we can shoot something with you and the mojo crew.