PA
I have a IBM Thinkpad t60. I'm getting an error message that says:

****Hardware Malfunction

call your hardware vendor for support

NMI: Parity check / Memory Parity Error

***The system has halted***

I have talked to my hardware vendor and they believed it was
the RAM so they went ahead and sent 2 new sticks of RAM which
I installed last night but within a half hour I get the same massage.

Just thought the minds on here would have a suggestion or two.

Thanks!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No additional information as to the memory location? The CPU board/chip also contains memory that can be going bad, graphics driver too.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Is that all the error message contains? You could have a bad memory slot. Try different slots one at time to narrow it down with a diagnostic program like memtest on a bootable CD - http://www.memtest86.com/

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Yeah, that's all the message says. It's a bright blue screen with white lettering. The message appears in the upper left quadrant of the screen and the machine completely locks up. the only way i have found to release it is to disconnect the battery. Ill try and post a pic of it later tonight if I can.

syadasti- I'll look into that diagnostic cd as an option but I'm also gonna contact the company again i guess.

Thanks dudes!!!!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
sawheet, thanks man!! I'll try it out.

What will it do? Will it actually find a problem? whats the odds of it finding exactly what is wrong?
If you test one slot at a time you can see if a slot is the problem or one of the modules, it takes long time though - something to run while you don't need to use the computer. Since you are doing it one slot at time with one module, if DIMM module passes in all but one slot or module fails regardless of slot - module or motherboard problem - try with a different DIMM module to make the determination.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Well, just decided to take the easy route and called IBM again and the man on the other end just insisted that I reinstall the operating system. So did that last night but didn't really have a chance to let the machine on long enough to see if the error would appear again so...... it remains to be seen.