Quantcast

ESI grips...

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
thin, chunky or extra chunky? was thinking about trying these..

Im currently addicted to discontinued Teva grips..they are much fatter than I used to run but I love them now..my buddy who is an ex-employee has a large stock of them but they are going to run out someday..gotta find an alternative...Ive tried sensus, renthal various odi's and nothing comes close to the tevas..hoping these fit the bill

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I'm pretty sure I have the thinner "race" ones. I barely looked at the package before I threw it out. I didn't even know they had different ones until I got home and checked online.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I've run them on a couple different bikes. They cut down on hand pain, still work well for gloveless riding, but as mentioned above, they tear easily.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Yeah, they are mazing. Just remember to put a grip lock ring at the end of the bar or a full metal grip end, so they won't tear that easily.

Like here:

Or buy one of these

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Super comfy (the thin ones) but not durable, as everyone has stated. Another consequence of its lack of durability is that a big crash can go through the grip and ding up your bar. If you're a crasher, like me, it's something to think about specially with them fancy carbon bars everyone's running these days.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I've been using them for a few months. I use the medium ones on my trail bikes and the thick ones on my dh bike. I have bigger hands and like to ride without gloves. They do tear easily so bar ends are a necessity.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Ha. I thought my love for these things was just one of my unpopular opinions. I have some of the silly looking red ones. I was going to replace them immediately. That was five years and two bikes ago.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I noticed the shop put them on backwards; the thick part faces my brake levers. I'll have to find a way to fix that even though they still felt good.

One run yesterday and I clipped a tree slightly and a small chunk tore off. I can see how they more or less just flake off with a slight impact. Speaking of bar ends, are there any that are carbon friendly??

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Ah I use it to put them on.
To get them off I just roll them off, turns them into a bit of a ball that's tricky to straighten out but I'm normally only taking them off to bin them anyway so it doesn't matter.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Ask Your mom for window cleaner spray and use a match or a spoke to work Your way between bar/grip ;)

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I have a ghetto way to get them off. I lay the bike down on its side, gently place my foot on the stem to hold it, and use my fingertips to pull from the inner edge of the grip. They always come off without rolling up, then just spray the bars with alcohol to put them back on.

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
grip glue or we use tubular glue in the shop. hair spray never works for me and even iso still slips once it dries. I also read somewhere triflow works even though it sounds weird. it's supposed to vulcanize the grip compound and makes it stick to the bar. Never tried it though. I prefer slip-ons over lockson. less hand pain.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
tempted to try some out- but just to confirm with people who have ridden them- they don't slip, right?

Mine will be soaking wet every ride this winter, so I don't want to waste the money if it's a problem at all.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Wonder why ODI doesn't make a set of these silicone grips as lockons... I'd get a pair.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Wonder why ODI doesn't make a set of these silicone grips as lockons... I'd get a pair.
That would pretty much ruin all the things that make these grips good. The inner sleve means you get less squishy material for any given outer diameter. I also don't like having metal rings on the ends of my grips. Locking them is completely unnecessary as they don't move.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
I didn't like the Serfas silicones as much as the ESI grips.

Racer's edge ESIs worked wonders for me getting back into DH after breaking my hand and the ensuing atrophy of my hand/forearm musculature.

I run either metal BMX bar end plugs with my ESIs (the expanding rubber bumper used in many of these should be carbon bar friendly) or some cheapo expanding wedge plastic end plugs from some MTB grips.

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
That would pretty much ruin all the things that make these grips good. The inner sleve means you get less squishy material for any given outer diameter. I also don't like having metal rings on the ends of my grips. Locking them is completely unnecessary as they don't move.
i agree. same reason i buy oury slip-ons instead of lock-ons.