Quantcast

ESI Silicone Grips?

adstock

Chimp
Sep 12, 2006
Anyone using these for DH? And have any luck with them reducing "hand numbness and fatigue?"

I was just about to place an order from ABI and remembered about these bad boys.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Over the years I have tried lots of different grips. Many grips designed to reduce hand fatigue are either too soft and squishy or kinda funny shaped. In the end I have found that grips such as these are by far the most effective at minimizing hand numbness.

Notice the large "guards" which will help keep your hand in the proper position.

adstock

Chimp
Sep 12, 2006
It's not my entire hand, it's just my pinkies and sometimes a little bit my ring fingers. I'm pretty sure it's mostly because those two sets of fingers sit right over the outside lock-on clamps. I was thinking of trying some Specialized grips with 1 clamp per grip or just some wider grips but I came along these and figured I'd ask.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I have them on my trail bike and love them for that application.
They have not moved on me yet, even riding in the rain multiple times.
The only negative is that you CANNOT even think about riding these grips without gloves.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I ride esi grips on a bunch of my bikes. The one negative thing I have to say is that even the thinnest grip is still too soft and too thick for my tastes. I ride them without gloves and so does everyone else I've sold them to. They can get a little slippery when new before all the mold release agent is out of them, but even then, all you need to do is reach down and cover your hands and the grips with dirt every once and a while to add some grit.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
I ride esi grips on a bunch of my bikes. The one negative thing I have to say is that even the thinnest grip is still too soft and too thick for my tastes. I ride them without gloves and so does everyone else I've sold them to. They can get a little slippery when new before all the mold release agent is out of them, but even then, all you need to do is reach down and cover your hands and the grips with dirt every once and a while to add some grit.
Ha, try that down here in August.
I left my gloves at home one day on a 100 degree ride and I might as well had just put KY jelly on my bar instead of grips.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i've been using them for a couple season w/ good results. originally picked them up so i could cut them down for use w/ a rohloff twister. unlike regular foam grips, they actually stay stuck and are decently grippy. also saves 50+ g over lock-ons. they are more susceptible to crash damage however, and do wear more quickly.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I'm running them, and have done for a couple of years. Stay put in the wet. And I like how tey mold a bit to your grip.
I found the thins too thin, and run the whack ones with a fat bit on one side.
Don't think they do much for numbness though, maybe. I've had numb hands with them.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
looking to replace my expensive and rock hard ergon grips...how have those riders using these faired after another season? Do you miss the convenience of lockons? Problems in the rain?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
looking to replace my expensive and rock hard ergon grips...how have those riders using these faired after another season? Do you miss the convenience of lockons? Problems in the rain?
I still have the same ESI grips on my trail bike as when this thread was started. As far as missing the convenience of lock-ons that one does not apply to me because I have not needed to mess with them for anything.
As far as the rain, you can forget about that. I have done a ton of riding and racing in the rain and mud with these grips and they have NEVER moved once.
That said, I don't think the thin ones are all that comfortable honestly, and I would not want them on my dh bike for that reason. I don't regret buying them for my trail bike, but I should have went for the chunky model as they do compress a good bit. They do wear very well though.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
do you prefer a thin or thick grip in general? I'm finding that I don't like thick grips, so the thin ones sounded like the ticket for me, but part of the desire is the squish you lose with lock-ons...

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I have the chunky on my trail bike. I do like them. Have not been brave enough to put them on a dh bike yet.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
we sell em at the shop, feel good, great for xc and any riding you don't use a lot of body english, but i wouldn't put em on a DH bike or any of mine. haven't come across a pair i couldn't twist on the bar like a wet noodle. a lot of the ones i see come in with the inside half twisted around and dirt jammed in the outside end. pass.

adstock

Chimp
Sep 12, 2006
I never had a problem with twisting on about 6-8 DH days. The thick were too thick for my liking so I took them off. Haven't tried the thin ones however

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
insta shred grips. comfy and light, but maintain rubber side down at all times or you're buying a new set. and had them on my xc for a while. switched to lockons so i wouldnt destroy the ends of my carbon bars