Quantcast

Ethnicities In Mountainbiking

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
We don't have many mexicans or blacks that ride mountain bikes out here. I think i'm one of the only Filipino's that rides. But out here, most of the population is white, and mormon.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
There is only one race, the human race.

I read it on a bumper sticker. But it does ring true...
goes well with your title of 'filthy racist'

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Yeah, I guessed you weren't actually a racist. It's not the kind of thing people advertise really. Was just enjoying that delicious irony

bikerdiva

Chimp
Aug 25, 2010
Nope, not me.

I understand it's a difficult queston to answer, just wondering what other people thought the reasoning would be.

Lack of role models of a persons ethnicity in the sport perhaps? One of the MTBR users raises the point that the % of ethnic minorities living in 'mountain bike areas' like Arizona is a lot smaller than the amount of white people. Seems valid.
I have to agree with you on this. Lack of a good role model plays a huge roll in the diversity issue. Location will also affect this.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I have to agree with you on this. Lack of a good role model plays a huge roll in the diversity issue. Location will also affect this.
yeah, but there are lots of flatlanders & people in the east/plains/south/midwest that dont have mountains but still mountain bike. WI has one of the biggest XC racing circuits in the country & there aint no mountains anywhere near us.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
there ain't no rap songs 'bout mountain biking
Aesop Rock....
"I alone settle
I alone peddle in the mud
I alone, I condone rebel zone planting
I alone stand in a social coma
All up to your dome, follow I alone"
not about mountain biking or is AR a black dude....in fact i think he is Jewish. :p

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Funny part.... come to my area, youll find mostly mexican and Philipino riders. Specially on Sundays at Huldacrooks park. There are alot of Black roadies in this area, but only a small handfull of Black Mtn riders...... I think thats just one of those things you cant explain

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Funny part.... come to my area, youll find mostly mexican and Philipino riders. Specially on Sundays at Huldacrooks park. There are alot of Black roadies in this area, but only a small handfull of Black Mtn riders...... I think thats just one of those things you cant explain
like why black people love menthol cigarettes

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Exactly..... Never did understand that one either

Then again..... I liked Menthols too..... Something about that cool rush into your lungs.
....followed by the pain of death burning lung cancer.

I'm sure we could get the downhill scene to blow up if Jay Z or Dr Dre featured Sam Hill in a video.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Now that I think about it, it doesn't suck really in the riding aspect of things. In the end everyone is trying to have fun and what not, so we have a commonality there which makes ethnicity inexistent.

What does suck is when everyone asks you that question "How come your the only Korean I know that rides bikes?" Like I know that answer...
If your name isn't Dave H. then whoever asks you that must not ride the Boston area trails.

But if you are Dave H., howdy stranger. Hope all is well!

Terry