Quantcast

Etiquette lessons...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
etiquette rule number 1:

one should kindly place the cellphone in the center console when one finds herself drifting across the center line into oncoming traffic.

DC/NOVA drivers are the worst.
it blows my mind how many people still drive around on their cell phones without hands free.

what also blows my mind is how many people drive around with their stupid iphone headphones in. double you tea eff.

and i make that complaint when i'm driving.

i've seen idiot pedestrians oblivious to the world because they've got ear buds in just jaywalk into traffic with zero hesitation.

i've seen chicks do full self-makeovers while they are driving. sunshade down/looking at themselves in the mirror.

f-ing crazy. this is a big reason why i am chicksh!t to ride a street motorcycle around here.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
They can probably just get rid of the pedestrian section. If I'm walking along on the street, sidewalk, or rail trail, I really don't give a sh*t about cyclists. It's up to them not to hit me.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Jon are you in MD? Its amazing to me that it's been over 2 years since the "hands free only" law in MD and I see at least 5-6 people everyday that are still yacking with their phone up to their ear while weaving in and out of traffic doing 80.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
chillin - i've lived in both LA and NJ... i've seen it all.

lady in an escalade, hands through the steering wheel resting on the steering column hammering out emails on her blackberry... while doing 85 on the highway

dude reading a book while eating a hamburger

saw a guy on a laptop once too

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Jon are you in MD? Its amazing to me that it's been over 2 years since the "hands free only" law in MD and I see at least 5-6 people everyday that are still yacking with their phone up to their ear while weaving in and out of traffic doing 80.
No, I've lived back in PA for a year now, and it happens here. I moved from NJ, i know its banned there, people still did it (cell phones while driving w/o hands free). I know in PA texting while driving is banned, but using a cell phone isn't - at the state level. Some counties and municipalities have banned it though.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
it blows my mind how many people still drive around on their cell phones without hands free.

what also blows my mind is how many people drive around with their stupid iphone headphones in. double you tea eff.

and i make that complaint when i'm driving.
It blows me away how many people drive around talking on the Cell to begin with...... Hands free or not if it is that important that it cannot wait, pull over, have your conversation put the phone away and drive.........

P.S. It is highly disturbing to me that as a nation we had to end up even having a hands-free device law......... Come on people, common sense.....

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I am more bothered by the fact that people can not drive and talk on a cell phone at the same time.
Damn Son, I am disappoint in your lack of coordination.
Seriously, what normal person can not talk on a cell phone and drive a car in a normal manner.
If you can't do this it may be time to turn in your keys for some velcro shoes and a shuffleboard stick.
Bingo is on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I have a bell on my bikes...kinda required here in Germany. But it has its upside. The other day I had a 20 minute conversation with a beautiful girl on a big beautiful horse who thanked me, in automatic perfect English with a very sexy accent, for dinging as I approached her. I asked her how she figured I was English speaking and she said "Because the Germans never ring before passing..."

Gotta love jodpurs...

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I had super bad etiquette this morning... the light was changing and I thought it was changing in my favor... so I rode right in front of oncoming traffic. Fortunately... THEY were paying attention. Yes, while I normally wait for obvious eye contact and wave and say thank you... today, I said EFF it! Whoopsy. let's not ever do that again.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I am more bothered by the fact that people can not drive and talk on a cell phone at the same time.
Damn Son, I am disappoint in your lack of coordination.
Seriously, what normal person can not talk on a cell phone and drive a car in a normal manner.
If you can't do this it may be time to turn in your keys for some velcro shoes and a shuffleboard stick.
Bingo is on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Hands free or not it&#8217;s the added cognitive workload on the parietal lobe that impairs one&#8217;s ability to drive. The parietal lobe is where spatial tasks are managed, studies have shown that even listening to someone the phone can cause a 37% drop in parietal activity.

Linky to article.......

So most people have average driving skills to begin with, unnecessarily increase the workload on the part of the brain that manages spatial tasks and you have a recipe for accidents.

Hence why F1 drivers don&#8217;t hold convos during their race, and cockpits are &#8220;sterile&#8221; during take off and landing.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I always drive in a rather careless, and haphazard way. Even if I am on the phone, which weirdly enough is most of the time.... I used to get in a fair amount of accidents, no matter how drunk or high I was.... Luckily I have been blessed with the ability to blame everyone else because of my unfair access to Legal Counsel. Just remember that just because I am wrong, doesn't necessarily mean you're right and we'll be fine....

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
First, there are a lot of people driving who are not normal by any definition.

Second, I think the real distractions come from people fumbling with their gadgets to make or receive calls rather than the actual talking.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
What do you all do to keep from getting bored when you drive?
If you take your pants off, you will drive so awesome from the fear of crashing. It is the one time I get to pleasure myself and serve the community at the same time. How cool am I?

I had super bad etiquette this morning... the light was changing and I thought it was changing in my favor... so I rode right in front of oncoming traffic. Fortunately... THEY were paying attention. Yes, while I normally wait for obvious eye contact and wave and say thank you... today, I said EFF it! Whoopsy. let's not ever do that again.
I made a similar misjudgment a few years ago, and determined empirically that riding dirt had made me capable of drifting a road bike. I managed to stop before getting in front of a wall of turning traffic.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Even though there is a law against hand-held use of a cell phone here in CT, I have seen many a police officer driving with a cell phone stuck to their ear.
Driving cell phone laws have been in effect in NY for years now. Police are allowed to talk on their cell phones as long as it's business related. Although, I doubt most of them are actually on business related calls.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
"Don't ride on the sidewalk. It's illegal"

except that it isn't. CRS 42-4-1412 (10 -a/b/c/d)

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
My Subaru had one...until the great tax return of 2011, which put an Alpine system into it that guaranteed I woudl drive it for at least 5 more years. Now the Ipod sits in the glove box, and good Irish and old school punk annoys Germans every chance I get.