Quantcast

ETSU Race April 5th!

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
We are bringing back the spring etsu race on Saturday April 5th! We will hold xc, ds, and dh all on saturday. The cross country will start around 9am and it will be a 4 man relay style race of a short loop of our xc course. Dual Slalom practice will be open all morning with qualifying beginning around one. downhill will round out the day once slalom is over. Its is going to be a pretty chill day, the categories will probably just be expert and beginner. We are teaming up with a group on campus and this whole race will be a benefit for darfur. Entry fees will be $10 per event and extra donations will be greatly appreciated!

Let me know if you have any more questions.

thomas

srphillips89

Monkey
Jan 29, 2006
Boone NC
Unless I'm mistaken that's the same weekend dark mountain is having their race. I haven't read that anywhere but I have heard it talked about.

hardtailpride

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
Ill be there. Is the DS going to be run single elimination? And what course for the DH race, same one from this years collegiate?

Gunnar75

Chimp
May 16, 2007
Do you have any venue information ie camping/lodging, directions? Past pics would be awesome! If not no biggie and I appreciate the update.

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
Do you have any venue information ie camping/lodging, directions? Past pics would be awesome! If not no biggie and I appreciate the update.
You can camp at the bottom of the slalom course and there are numerous hotels available. Since NASCAR is this weekend there should not be any availability issues either.

For those who have not been here, the courses are right on campus and the campus is centrally located on the south side of Johnson City so there are many amenities in the area!

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
The dh course is the same as past collegiate seasons. the dual slalom format has not been decided on yet but due to time constraints it will most likely be single elimination, but we will keep you updated.

mtbman1127

Monkey
Mar 10, 2008
Raleigh, NC
How early will you have to courses marked and set up?

Me and a few other WCU guys might come up and check it out but we have never ridden there before so it would be good to have a few pre runs to get to know everything. Also how would you compare it to the clemson or fontana course tech wise?

Mtnbiker245

Chimp
Oct 29, 2007
Johnson City
It is not to technical. Although our slalom course is a lot larger than most the smallest gap is about 20ft but you can roll it all I would suggest some practice on it before you race on it. The DH I would make a few practice runs.

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
How early will you have to courses marked and set up?

Me and a few other WCU guys might come up and check it out but we have never ridden there before so it would be good to have a few pre runs to get to know everything. Also how would you compare it to the clemson or fontana course tech wise?
we probably wont have the dh course marked till friday, but if you come up earlier we will be happy to show you the course. as for slalom it is pretty much self explanitory. the dh course is basically a section of xc trail, mostly downhill with a few drops, some logs, small rock gardens and a couple jumps. it can easily be ridden on a hardtail or short travel full suspension trailbike. a full blown dh rig isnt necessary.

mtbman1127

Monkey
Mar 10, 2008
Raleigh, NC
we probably wont have the dh course marked till friday, but if you come up earlier we will be happy to show you the course. as for slalom it is pretty much self explanitory. the dh course is basically a section of xc trail, mostly downhill with a few drops, some logs, small rock gardens and a couple jumps. it can easily be ridden on a hardtail or short travel full suspension trailbike. a full blown dh rig isnt necessary.

Alrighty cool deal...I'm looking forward to is there somewhere we can get directions to the trails...

And can we cook and stuff, ie fire, if we camp there

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
Alrighty cool deal...I'm looking forward to is there somewhere we can get directions to the trails...

And can we cook and stuff, ie fire, if we camp there
Directions from 26:
Take exit 24, turn left onto university parkway/milligan highway.
You will pass through 3 lights if you are coming from asheville and 2 if you are coming from 81.
Turn left onto southwest avenue and follow to the stop sign.
Take a left and go under the train tracks.
Parking for xc and dh will be on the right.
To get to the dual slalom course, pass the parking lots and take your first left onto village lane, follow this road all the way to the end, bearing left into a small gravel parking lot.

As far as having a fire goes i will have to check, terry might know more if this will be fine or not. hopefully he will post here about it soon.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
I raced at ETSU in the fall in our collegiate conference. I can definitely vouch that they have an awesome dual slalom course. I might try to make it up there for the race myself, school permitting.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Can someone give updates until the race when the track is good to ride.To come up & practice.

There is going to be rain it looks like in the 4cast. Don't want to waste my day driving up there, & it's red clay mud. I have done this a few times before.1x there & 2x Bigfoot at least.

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
the course right now is pretty much perfect. however, if it rains it usually takes one full day of sun to dry out, two to be sure. let me know when you are thinking about coming up and i can let you know how the course is looking.

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
here is our official race flyer. once this snow melts the course should dry out by thursday so anyone looking to ride come on up.

SAVE DARFUR
Mountain Bike Race
Put on by the ETSU Cycling Team
Saturday, April 5th

All proceeds will go directly to the Save Darfur Coalition!
www.savedarfur.org

We will be offering dual slalom, downhill, and cross country. Cross country will be a solo, two, or four man relay style race of a short loop of our cross country course.
Downhill will be the fastest of two runs.
Entry fees will be $10 per event
Race in Beginner or Expert classes.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Cross Country: 9 am
Dual Slalom: Practice all morning
Qualifying Begins at 12:30 pm
Downhill: Practice open after xc
First rider goes off at 5:00 pm

NOTE: Registration for ends thirty minutes prior to event start time

DIRECTIONS FROM I-26:
Take exit 24, turn left onto University Parkway/Milligan Highway.
You will pass through 3 lights if you are coming from Asheville and 2 if coming from 81.
Turn left onto southwest avenue and follow to the stop sign.
Take a left and go under the train tracks.
Parking for xc and dh will be on the right.
To get to the dual slalom course, pass the parking lots and take your first left onto village lane, follow this road all the way to the end, bearing left into a small gravel parking lot.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Do you guys have an approximate time as to when the DH practice starts? I'm going to a show in Myrtle Beach on Fri night and trying to convince the wife to come back early so I can race. :biggrin:

Also, is anyone riding this week? It looks like Wednesday may provide a brief break from the rain...I may be able to cruise over in the afternoon if anyone will be there to show me around.

CharlieM

Monkey
Aug 7, 2004
Is there going to be some kind of purse for pros?

What do you think the turnout will be?

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Maybe also. Just a thought.:biggrin:
Get a person there with a bullhorn to do a little beatboxing, & announce what is going on exactly !

Last event i was there years ago, it was like a morgue & absolutely nobody knew what was going on, ya know !

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
dh practice will start as soon as the cross country finishes but officially after slalom finishes, and we will allow at least an hour of practice, so it will be five at the latest. but yea 30 sec intervals.

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
Is there going to be some kind of purse for pros?

What do you think the turnout will be?
No purse for the pros, but we do have gold plated chainrings :biggrin:

We really arent sure about the turnout, past events have seen slim numbers of people. but that means we will most likely qualify everyone for slalom.