Quantcast

ETSU Spring Race - Nationals Qualifier

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
ETSU is bringing back our spring race again. we will offer dh, ds, and 4x on saturday. and xc on sunday. this is going to be the gravity state championships for tn, making it easy for people to qualify to race at beech in september.

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
Here is a little update for everyone.

We have preregistration up on bike reg:
http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=12304

And we just received several dump truck loads of dirt and a bobcat to fine tune the dual slalom and redo a few sections on the fourcross course. We are also working on a brand new dirt jump line and pump track, so hopefully by the time the race rolls around those will be rideable. Pics to come when we get things done.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Bummed that I gotta miss this. But my boss gave us her time share in Orlando for the kids spring break. I'd rather be in the dirt than the concrete maze of lunacy. But, it's Disney...and I got two little princesses.

I'll bring everybody back some of Mickey's fur as a keepsake. ;)

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
You can start in cat 2 if that's the level you're riding at. Cat 1 and pro require upgrades I know.

So where exactly are these trails located? Thinking about doing this race Saturday and heading over to windrock on Sunday.

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
You can start in cat 2 if that's the level you're riding at. Cat 1 and pro require upgrades I know.

So where exactly are these trails located? Thinking about doing this race Saturday and heading over to windrock on Sunday.
we are about two hours from windrock. definitely worth the drive from here.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Love windrock, just trying to get more people to do the race so we can carpool. Also, to qualify for nationals, I have to buy a liscense, not just a 1 day right?

Also, is there an address to the trails or something?

Edit: never mind, I saw the directions on the flyer.

Last edited:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
looks like i might be able to make it but my wife will be out of town so i'll have my girls with me as well as noah.

a couple of questions:
any youth categories or are they going to be lumped in with the adult cat2/3?

which course is more fun, DS or 4x?

anywhere cheap to camp on friday night?

dog friendly?

danennis

Chimp
Aug 29, 2009
brevard

Im thinking of the same game plan. anyone else thinking windrock sun?

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Would be great if we could get a group at windrock on Sunday. So far vie only got me and one other guys coming from Ohio so it would be nice if we could hook up and shuttle with others so we don't have to shuttle each other back and forth. Riding alone is no fun and unsafe...

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
just as a heads up to everyone, due to some lack of funding we will be offering prizes as an overall deal. you will get points for your finishes in each race: dh, ds, 4x and those will add up to the overall score that you recieve, which we will then give prizes or payout. sorry if this inconveniences anyone. i just wanted to let everyone know this ahead of time so no one is let down race day.

thanks for understanding

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
In 4x and slalom, are you guys going to have age groups or are you going to lump everyone together? Thanks.
it depends on how many entries we get. if we can run age groups we will, but we arent going to run brackets with four five or six people in it just to have age groups correct.

regardless of how the race is run we will score results to usa cycling in age groups. that way everyone gets their chance to qualify for nationals.

RajunCajunNC

Chimp
Feb 25, 2009
A, A
Quick question about the ds and 4X tracks: Would it be any fun on a dh bike, looking to avoid bringing two bikes up for the race?

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
both courses are easily rideable on big bikes. dual slalom is super fun on a big bike, four cross is too as long as you get up to speed enough to clear the jumps

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
first set of berms was a flat turn. roller to go between if it works right

roll in to the new pump track section

new pump track/dirt jump section

Last edited:

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Looks sweet! I was a bit disappointed when I saw the DH course vid on pink bike somewhere but that stuff looks fun. If we can get a group to Windrock on Sunday it could make for a super fun weekend.

Any campsites you guys can recommend in the area? I'll be coming in from the north.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Looks sweet! I was a bit disappointed when I saw the DH course vid on pink bike somewhere but that stuff looks fun. If we can get a group to Windrock on Sunday it could make for a super fun weekend.

Any campsites you guys can recommend in the area? I'll be coming in from the north.
Not sure if I'm gonna do the race but I'm down for WR that Sunday, I can bring my truck and if we have at least 6 we can rotate drivers and get in mucho runs!:thumb:

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
if you want you can camp at the bottom of our four cross course. thats where some have done it in the past. if not, there isnt much around as far as legit campsites goes. that being said i think there is a koa in kingsport.