Quantcast

ETSU Spring Race - Nationals Qualifier

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
We are putting this race on again for 2012. I hope the weekend we chose will work with everyone, I tried to look online for any conflicting gravity races and found none. Just like last year this will be a nationals qualifying race and to clear up any confusion this means that you need to place in the top 15 in your age group (20-29,30-39, etc). This year we are only doing DH and dual slalom. ETSU made us tear down any wooden structure over 2 feet off the ground so our dh start deck and 4x gate are currently torn down. But we are working on getting a nice pneumatic gate for the 4x course in the future.

I also put a winner takes all pump track type of competition for after slalom if people want to stay, grill some hotdogs or burgers and ride the pump track and dirt jumps. We are open to suggestions for what this pump track race should consist of so throw around some ideas. If you have any questions about the race just ask away.

Here is the race flyer: ETSUnationalsqualifier.jpg

Last edited:

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
You can count on Team BGB-Mountain Khakis being there. There might be an opp for us to donate some prizes.... shoot me a PM and we can talk.

adrock33

Monkey
May 7, 2002
kentucky
Love the ETSU races. Wish you guys would do more through the year. You guys should hook up with other schools(like Lindsey Wilson) and offer a non-collegiate series. It would raise some money for the collegiate teams and give us southern slalom racers a series:thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Just scheduled a weekend vacation during the wife's spring break last night and was biting the bullet not knowing when this race would be. Got it wrong last year and missed out.

Got it right this year. I'll be there with bells on. Maybe bring the girls and let them throw rocks at the competition.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Can I be a filler competitor for the dual slalom and pump track events? I'll pay the fee but won't place. I just want to ride that dual slalom again.

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
Can I be a filler competitor for the dual slalom and pump track events? I'll pay the fee but won't place. I just want to ride that dual slalom again.
we might be able to work out some sort of bracket where someone is put out of the race they can race someone else who is out of the race just for bragging rights. similar to a set up with a losers bracket. that way you dont put someone out of the race who is trying to qualify for nationals.

the pump track event is free game, racers, non-racers, grandmothers, kids...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
there arent any campgrounds close by but we have had others camp at the slalom course with no issues. no fires or adult beverages within view of campus police though is all we ask.
The girls round robin softball tournament's work like that. Loser moves to the elimination bracket. Double elimination would be cool, but only in either small brackets for low turnout groups of 6-8.

trap121

Monkey
May 26, 2011
Can the DH course be riden on days other than the race day? I was thinking about coming up the day before the race to do some riding.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
April 14th...my shoulder will be healed up good...or hurt again? and fresh off of Easter weekend building marital goodwill/tranquility
I'll be there!!!!

wildcard

Chimp
Jul 9, 2007
Anybody driving from FL and want to car pool? I have a few extra seats and might bring a trailer depending on how many want to go.

beachbum

Chimp
Feb 19, 2007
coastal nc
I registered on the usa cycling site and they showed $30 for each event, cat 1-3, also didn't receive a discount. (didn't see the bik.reg thing till after registering)

trap121

Monkey
May 26, 2011
How rough/technical is the DH course? My 10 year old wants to race the jr class on his hardtail.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
I've never been there, so I can't offer any insight on the trail..... I have been told that it is easier than other DH trails, keyword there is "told."

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Fairly flat with one hairy section at the bottom. Some jumps and optional drops. There should be an easy way around everything. Its pretty easy compared to most DH trails.

mxdoc29

Chimp
Mar 21, 2012
So, are you able to buy a usac license at the race? when i go online, since i've never had a license, it will only give me a cat 3 option and i was going to run cat 2.

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
ETSU also decided that the drop at the top of the course was unsafe so it is gone. We are hoping to get a jump of some sort built there before the race. This course can be ridden equally as fast on a hardtail or downhill bike.

For those questioning, you can buy a license at the race. However, I do not know if you can automatically upgrade yourself to cat 2. you might have to do a race in cat 3, hopefully get good results, and apply for an upgrade to cat 2.

dirtyjungle

Chimp
Jun 22, 2011
Charlotte
ETSU also decided that the drop at the top of the course was unsafe so it is gone. We are hoping to get a jump of some sort built there before the race. This course can be ridden equally as fast on a hardtail or downhill bike.

For those questioning, you can buy a license at the race. However, I do not know if you can automatically upgrade yourself to cat 2. you might have to do a race in cat 3, hopefully get good results, and apply for an upgrade to cat 2.
So no tree drop?