Quantcast

Etsu Treadhead 2004 Results

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
that'd be great if it wasnt a jpg. image that's unintelligable.

why not just post the results as text:confused:

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Jeremy Raney,
Congrats on 3rd place! I will hand over the bronze to you this weekend at Windrock.

Good riding to all of you hardcores who came out to shred in the rain and mud.

Lesson:
Always do your two runs.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Terry,

Thanks for the hospitality this past weekend. Had a super fun time and I really liked the dual, alot! The mud was fun. But could you post both run times if possible?

D

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by spoke80
Jeremy Raney,
Congrats on 3rd place! I will hand over the bronze to you this weekend at Windrock.

Good riding to all of you hardcores who came out to shred in the rain and mud.

Lesson:
Always do your two runs.
No worries Ben.
They made an honest mistake, and did not look at my second run time. Which us understandable considering the monsoon that was coming down.
Make sure to give me the 411 on if Windrock is going to be open on Sunday.
It was great riding with everybody!
Later, JR

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have a very itchy feeling they didn't look at too many second runs, because I caught the guy in front of me on my second run right after the steep roll drop in near the stairs but flatted boosting over that little rock graden (that what I get running a super thin walled XC tire :rolleyes: ). I went ahead and stayed fairly close to the guy even with a flat. I am curious to see if I did any better on my second run since I stayed upright the whole way down.

Oh and by the way, Jeremy you should have won. IMHO. The guys who got first and second were fast no doubt, but their race run times where from the earlier collegiant race right when it started to rain. I don't think they should have counted those same times for the Maxxis race under MUCH different conditions.

But its no real big deal for me at least. :p

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by profro
I have a very itchy feeling they didn't look at too many second runs, because I caught the guy in front of me on my second run right after the steep roll drop in near the stairs but flatted boosting over that little rock graden (that what I get running a super thin walled XC tire :rolleyes: ). I went ahead and stayed fairly close to the guy even with a flat. I am curious to see if I did any better on my second run since I stayed upright the whole way down.

Oh and by the way, Jeremy you should have won. IMHO. The guys who got first and second were fast no doubt, but their race run times where from the earlier collegiant race right when it started to rain. I don't think they should have counted those same times for the Maxxis race under MUCH different conditions.

But its no real big deal for me at least. :p
Thx.
Yeah, I knew that was the case with the 1st place guy. There was like a 27 second difference in between his two runs.;)
It shows you how much slower the course was for the Maxxis race. Oh well, it could not have happened to a nicer guy.
I am not sure about second place. I did not know him or when he went off or anything, so who knows. He was a local, maybe he just had the course dialed.
Either way, it was a blast 2 wheel drifting in the mud on my second run! :p

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The second place guy is the one who told me that they used his collegient time instead of his Maxxis time. I hope they don't count those time and results for the Maxxis series. It may screw some people who are gunning for the series title like Ben and yourself. I have got to figure out how to race. I always ride WAY over my head during race and wreck. But I had so much fun none-the-less.

Im sure Harley is gunnin for the points too and he shouldnt be penalized because of the order they ran him in. The course got progressivly worse throughout so the further back you were the bigger disadvantage you had. I was the last expert to run, so should i get some sort of handicap for having to race on a course that had been shredded by almost 20 pro's and expert's? It's all part of it, let's just hope for better weather at Massanutten.:)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
No the point is that they used his time from a completely different race series. They used his race time from when he raced the collegient race, not the Maxxis race which was run alomst an hour after the collegients ran, not a matter of minutes like from the first expert to the last expert. You wouldn't use his race results from the collegient dual slolam for the Maxxis dual slolam would you? If he's gunning for the Maxxis points, then he should have raced during the Maxxis race. Its the race organizers who are to blame. This is clearly nothing against Harley. I met him the weekend before the race and he is a really nice guy and so is Jason for that fact. In effect they had four race runs to choose there best time from. Since the conditions were better earlier they didn't rerun, who would?

GiantAC1dh

Chimp
Mar 30, 2003
Georgia
Thanks for putting on the race Terry. It was a lot of fun. I think the course is better when its muddy because it makes it much harder. I have some video of the last rock section. Nothing to spectacular. Just this one good clip of a guy face planting into the rocks. I will post later. Luckily he didn't get hurt.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Originally posted by GiantAC1dh
Just this one good clip of a guy face planting into the rocks. I
Was that the guy who was riding the red Shockwave? That guy had one wreck in that section that scared me to death.

Plus you have got to give it up for that girl form the University of Florida. She crashed so hard on that step-up on the dual course so many times. But she kept getting up and trying it again until they took her to the hospital. :thumb:

No the point is that they used his time from a completely different race series. They used his race time from when he raced the collegient race, not the Maxxis race which was run alomst an hour after the collegients ran, not a matter of minutes like from the first expert to the last expert. You wouldn't use his race results from the collegient dual slolam for the Maxxis dual slolam would you? If he's gunning for the Maxxis points, then he should have raced during the Maxxis race. Its the race organizers who are to blame. This is clearly nothing against Harley. I met him the weekend before the race and he is a really nice guy and so is Jason for that fact. In effect they had four race runs to choose there best time from. Since the conditions were better earlier they didn't rerun, who would?
I see what your saying. I didnt realize they were running them as completely seperate races. In the past I recall them just mixing the collegiate with their appropriate group (A,B,C with expert, sport, beginner) then using those to score for both events. I thought they were running them first this time just to prevent the problem of much slower collegiate riders interfering with the NORBA race runs. If it was planned ahead of time to be completely seperate then I agree they should have been required to do atleast one run in each race.

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
The collegiate was run first so the kids from florida could get home. They all ran the same course and there was about 30 min between, but can't control the weather. I can claim the same grief, but just have to suck it up and try like hell.

Only the fastest run was posted in the results. I will bring the times to the next race and everyone can see both runs.

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
Thanks to everyone for showing up! The ETSU Cycling Club is still learning the whole race process, but they still managed to pull through my ranting about pretty much everything.

Good Job ETSU's Abe, Mark, Crackhead, Josh, Andy, Zach(where were you?), and all the rest!

GiantAC1dh

Chimp
Mar 30, 2003
Georgia
Was that the guy who was riding the red Shockwave? That guy had one wreck in that section that scared me to death.

Plus you have got to give it up for that girl form the University of Florida. She crashed so hard on that step-up on the dual course so many times. But she kept getting up and trying it again until they took her to the hospital. :thumb:
It was from a guy in all green fox gear. He wasn't on the shockwave. i can't remeber the make of his frame right now but it was a xc/mtx bike. He face planted in the rocks while trying to go around on the right. He was trying Herndons line but going to slow.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Originally posted by ztlh13
The collegiate was run first so the kids from florida could get home. They all ran the same course and there was about 30 min between, but can't control the weather. I can claim the same grief, but just have to suck it up and try like hell.

Only the fastest run was posted in the results. I will bring the times to the next race and everyone can see both runs.
So what you are saying is that there was one only race but with 5 classes: (1)Pro/Semi, (2) Expert, (3) Sport, (4) Beginner, (5) Collegiant? If so then is it possible to race in two categories? Did the people that ran both, pay two entry fees? They even got both of their runs before the rest of the NORBA field got their first run. :think: If so then the rest of the DH field got a :nuts: because of a bunch of XC kids from Florida who aren't even a part of the Maxxis series. :rolleyes:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
All this talk got me to looking at the NORBA rules. Interestingly enough, they are pretty vague. :rolleyes:

5.16 Downhill
A downhill competition generally consists of one rider racing against time with the fastest time winning or advancing to the next round. Racers will start at regular, predetermined
start times and compete against others in their class and category. Please note that there are other variations of downhill competitions.

5.16.1 There shall be practice on courses for competitors.

5.16.2 A start list shall be published no less than one hour before the start of race. Order of start may be determined in various ways:

- Fastest time from sedding run.
- Bib number sequence.
- Random start determined by the
Race Director and/or Chief Official.

5.16.3 Regular start intervals of 1 minute or 30 seconds are recommended.

5.16.4 Riders will stage in order of selected system. (Refer to 5.16.2)

There is no mention of a collegiate class in the NORBA rulebook. I assume the start list was determined in a "random" fashion? :p No hard feelings, just hope things run smoother at the other Maxxis races.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL

Holy crap! I saw her bite it hard twice. The last time they chunked her in the meat wagon. She's gotta be feeling it today.
Carol took a mean digger, too. Good girl turnout in the DS. I wish I could've brought my daughter to race.

SPUTNECK

Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Originally posted by BurlySurly
that'd be great if it wasnt a jpg. image that's unintelligable.

why not just post the results as text:confused:
I converted it over to HTML text....it should work better for all now...

Bill.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001

T,
I think the results submitted to the series should reflect the times for the Maxxis series race not the combination of the two events. With only so few races in the series anyway every point counts especially if you are racing the whole series.

my 2 cents,
b

Steven

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
North carolina
Hey, I am rider 294 in the jr. 18 under, Steven Trottier. It says that my number got first place but it isn't my name? Who should i contact to get that all straightened out? I asked them about it yesterday but they were to busy to deal with it. O well, it was fun!

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
Yes Harley and Jason will be doing all the Maxxis Series this year. They just got lucky and were seeded in the collegiate bracket for start times. I am not complaining even though all the pros got there 1st run in with the collegiate riders, except for me! That's the way it goes at any race!

After seein the mess on course, we stopped the race and finished the colegiate bracket before doing the rest of the race. Ask Chris, Ryan, or Garrett if the course was dry when they went! H$ll no it wasn't, it started raining twenty minutes before the first collegiate rider.

Steven, they have you in the results, but the winner was actually #394. I wil get the results for you and let you know where you placed. Got 'em, you placed third, but you left without your prize, I will bring your medal to the next race at Wolf in July.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Ask Chris, Ryan, or Garrett if the course was dry when they went! H$ll no it wasn't, it started raining twenty minutes before the first collegiate rider.
But the collegiate riders got a CLEAR advantage by running BOTH of their runs before the rest of the field got a single run.

There should be rules to make the racing as equal as possible without the effect of weather. That wasn't done when the collegiate/expert racers were allowed two runs before the trail conditions worsened. :rolleyes:

Did the collegiate racers who raced both, pay two entry fees?

GiantAC1dh

Chimp
Mar 30, 2003
Georgia
But the collegiate riders got a CLEAR advantage by running BOTH of their runs before the rest of the field got a single run.

There should be rules to make the racing as equal as possible without the effect of weather. That wasn't done when the collegiate/expert racers were allowed two runs before the trail conditions worsened. :rolleyes:

Did the collegiate racers who raced both, pay two entry fees?
I am not trying to be a jerk or anything but the race is over with. There always seems to be somebody who complains and complains. Look at the positive aspects of the race, not the bad. Terry can't do anything about it now. You should of said something when it happened. I am just happy that I got a decent time in the expert category. It was a fun race. Thanks Terry!

Thats my 2 cents

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yeah, lets look at the positive...

I tested how well my rim will hold up to bashing it through the rock section with a flat tire. :dead:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Nope, I switched it back to tubeless and aired it up lastnight. Still holding air this morning. :D MaVIC 729s rule. That run down the rocks felt like my fastest of the day. Maybe that was because I couldn't slow down. :eek:

GiantAC1dh

Chimp
Mar 30, 2003
Georgia
How did you end up overall for the weekend?

I felt terrible on my 2nd race run. But my first was awesome. I passed the guy infront of me. I was running behind him when he crashed on the log right before the big rock section. I had to go around the log. And the guy that got 5th place beat me by a 10th of second. But what can ya do? Its amazing what the rain will do. Last year in dry conditions I ran a 1:40 something and in the rain I ran a 2:12. I like it better in the rain though because the course isn't too technical until the last section.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I wrecked to the ground once and slid off the trail twice in my first run. I felt like a Keystone Cop. I think my time was like a 2:26 or something. Then on my second run I caught the guy in front of me coming out of the little spur off to the left with the whoop section. But that's where I flatted so he pulled off the front of me. I was at a snail's pace coming through the techy section above the drop you are talking about. I didn't want to go down again with the flat, plus I could barely make any forward progress. I think I was 11th.

As for the dual, I had a blast. I qualified 6th and got beat in the first round by the 3rd place kid. I've never raced BMX, DS, or MTNx, so I have NO gate and he blew me away there. I did my best to catch him at the bottom, but it was all over. Turns out he is the 20th ranked Expert BMX rider in his class in the nation. :rolleyes: So I don't care to get beat that way. But that kind of racing is great.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL

As for the dual, I had a blast. I qualified 6th and got beat in the first round by the 3rd place kid. I've never raced BMX, DS, or MTNx, so I have NO gate and he blew me away there. I did my best to catch him at the bottom, but it was all over. Turns out he is the 20th ranked Expert BMX rider in his class in the nation. :rolleyes: So I don't care to get beat that way. But that kind of racing is great.
That was my son:D He was pissed when I entered him in men's expert. It looked like he would've had a cake walk in JrX and as for sport class, well, I was entered in sport and I sure as hell didn't want to lose to him!
I think he would have had 1st if he didn't unclip on the gate in his semi. excuses excuses.
That was my second DS race in 3 years and it was a blast. I definitely want to do some more.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Originally posted by Peete
That was my son:D He was pissed when I entered him in men's expert. It looked like he would've had a cake walk in JrX and as for sport class, well, I was entered in sport and I sure as hell didn't want to lose to him!
I think he would have had 1st if he didn't unclip on the gate in his semi. excuses excuses.
That was my second DS race in 3 years and it was a blast. I definitely want to do some more.
Thats cool. I was clearing the step-up before my run with him, but not super clean. However with me trying to catch him I cleaned it super smooth, which led to a super smooth triple and double. So I have him to thank for that. :)

I'm going to work on my gates more. I was sitting there with one foot on the deck when the gate dropped. :dead: Like I said I did my best to catch him, but it was all over. You could tell he races BMX, cause he did what he had to do to win and thats its. I could so tell he pulled up towards the end. I'm glad he did. That way it didn't look like I got beat as bad as I did. :)