Quantcast

Eulogy.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
my condolences. in my professional opinion, you should start drinking heavily.
Done.

Warranty?
Nope, at least not according to Niners website. 2 years from date of purchase, I bought it almost exactly 3 years ago. Bought it for my birthday which is next week.

I am going to go to the local Niner dealer and raise a little ruckus. 2 year warranty on a frame is about the worst in the industry, I did a little research last night. On top of that the next years models had some significant reinforcement in the exact area where my frame cracked. In light of that, even though it is technically out of warranty, I'm going to expect a little satisfaction. If the local dealer can't help me, I'll go direct to Niner. If they don't help I'll buy someone elses frame. I loved that bike and have on several occasions promoted Niner both here and on some other forums, and on the trail. To say I'm a upset over the short warranty and fairly obvious manufacturing defect doesn't even begin to properly express my dismay.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Can't imagine breaking a frame. I guess I'm just way too slow.
i used to think that. then i broke one:think: now i guess im just way too fat
I'm not fast by any means, and I'm 180lbs, so its not like I'm a huge guy. Found a whole bunch of stuff over at MTBR about those frames being weak and a history of breaks exactly like mine, including a post by Niner on their manufacturer forum acknowledging the problem and the fix 4 months after I purchased my frame. I'm going from sad to angry now. Is it unreasonable to hope that I might get some help with a known defect even if I am out of warranty?

Last edited:

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I wouldn't stress too much, they will definitely help you out. Just don't be a dick when you call them, it's not like they've been trying to cover up the issue of cracking frames like some manufacturers have done.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I'm not fast by any means, and I'm 180lbs, so its not like I'm a huge guy. Found a whole bunch of stuff over at MTBR about those frames being weak and a history of breaks exactly like mine, including a post by Niner on their manufacturer forum acknowledging the problem and the fix 4 months after I purchased my frame. I'm going from sad to angry now. Is it unreasonable to hope that I might get some help with a known defect even if I am out of warranty?
cool your jets until you chat with the fine folks at Niner. come at them calm and reasonable-like, and they are more likely to help. more bees with honey, and whatnot.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
After some phone calls to the dealer, credit card company, and Niner, I sent a reasonably calm e-mail (I had the wife read and edit it for me) with description and Pictures to Niner. Will post progress reports.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Ask nice first.
In general, the 2 yr stated warranty is just to cover their ass. Unless it's SC or Ellsworth.

This is why people stick with certain brands. If you know the CS is solid and won't let you down, it's hard to look at uncertain brands.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Post up when your wheels are rolling again. Maybe I can swing a trip to your town for some trail riding. Where the hell are you anyway?
Still trapped in Colorado Springs, so any time man, summer is only weeks away here, riding is awesome. Got your choice of couches to crash on, but no, I will not suspend you from my ceiling. :busted::D

Sorry about the frame, but glad to hear that Niner is going to hook you up! Pics of new bike ASAP too!
Yea pretty stoked, all I was really hoping for was "crash replacement" or something but they went above and beyond, I only have to pay the difference between the cost of the old style frames and the new hydorformed frame ($250). Shipped it this morning so hopefully it will be here by next friday. Going to take the opportunity to send my fork out to, which I suspect will take longer. Just wish all this had happened in, say, January.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Great to hear they took care of you. Show some pictures when you get the new one build up and use this golden opportunity to buy some other nice bits for the bike.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

Got the fork back yesterday:weee:. Slapped it all back together last night. My seat post hasn't showed yet so my LBS gave me a loaner. Don't know if I'm going to get a ride in today, I have two tons of road base and a ton of sand showing up in a couple hours for the back porch. :twitch: