Quantcast

Eureka Springs Fat Tire Fest Misadventure

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
What a beautiful place to have a MTB race! The place is kinda like the French Quarter in N'awlins without the stench, trash and decay. MizN8 and I rolled into town Sat afternoon and checked into our historic hotel in the old town section. I had intended to preride the course Sat afternoon with my buddy but we couldn't locate a course map. Oh well.. it poured down rain for a couple hours anyway so it was probably a good thing. The whole town was supporting the Fat Tire Fest with food, bands, brews and more. MizN8 and I went to diner at a high class joint where we ate some delish food!

Race Day

MizN8 snapped this photo of my race face, as I was getting ready to join the pack at the start...

The race started at 9AM and since it was a point to point race instead of a loop. Because of this, the Experts started first followed by Sport and then the Beginners.

That morning I changed my tube and I noticed I had a spoke lose. The spoke was loose because the rim had a flat spot on it. DAMN!! No time to do anything about that now! I aired up my tire and got into the starting group.

At the gun, I started cranking hard since the start was on a steep assed climb in town... I downshifted... well, I attemped to downshift anyway... nothing was happening!!!

Aww crap!! I struggle with my shifter as I try to crank my way up the street... then *POP*..!!! My chain breaks!!!! NOOOOOO!!!!! I am not 100 meters from the start!!! I pull over, flip my bike, pull out my chain tool and start to work... everyone and I mean everyone passes me as I get my chain fixed.

It takes me about 5 minutes but I fixt it and get back on the course. But then I notice a nasty grinding noise... I see that I've looped the chain below the front derailleur!!! Awww Cr@p!!! I pull over and break the chain again to fix my screw-up. Again it takes about 5 minutes to get the thing back together and I hit the course again. I cruise around the a couple streets on the couse (still in town) I come to another steep climb so I hammer on the pedals and *POW* my chain breaks again. This time I give it up. I thow my chain in my camel pak and coast back the parking lot where (thankfully) MizN8 was just pulling out to make the 5 mile drive to the finish. I tell her my race is over and we drive over to the finish where we cheer for my buddy who takes 9th out of 24 in his class. I figure I rode about 1/2 mile of the course... all on pavement, all in downtown Eureka Springs. It took us 8 hrs to drive up there but damn it was beautiful country and I, as always, had a blast!

The course ended at this beautiful location on a lake just west of town:

I HIGHLY recommend this event to all!!! Great venue, tough XC trail, friendly people and FUN FUN FUN!

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Wow. That sucks. How old was the chain? I guess we should start calling you "N8 the Kaiser the destroyer of chains."

Eureka Springs is a pretty cool town. Especially if you are a hippy.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
This is why I always carry a sram powerlink... all I have to do is pop the bad link out and put the powerlink on in its place. Quick. Sorry bout the race BTW... :(

N8 said:
Chain was a Wipperman Connex... might be going back with a Sram PC-99 though...
You never should have left. 6 years riding sachs/sram chains... I've only broken 1.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
N8. That's sucks. I feel for you. Last night my wife and I went out for a road ride. We were a little over 5 miles from home when she got a flat. I had a patch kit and a pump but no tubes. After struggling 5-10 minutes or so to get the tire off the rim (damn wire bead tires) I finally got the tube patched and pumped up. As I was going to take the pump off, the valve stem snapped and all the air escaped in one big hiss. Flipping explicitive piece of feces! So I sent my wife home on my bike to fetch the car and started walking...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Dammit I was going to give N8 some bad rep for looping his chain outside of his front derailleur..... freakin' nOOb

:D

That does freakin' blow. I always have that naggin' feeling going a long way for a ride, that I'll get there and find that something catastrophic has happened to the bike and I didn't notice or it happens 5 mintues into the ride.

Well at least MzN8 was there to give you a little love...... and humiliate you by taking pictures. I need to give MzN8 some reputation.

AWESOME.

fubar5

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
Houston, TX
Two chain breaks in 1/2 a mile?? Gee willickers batman!

Just out of curiosity, do break your chain to take it off the bike and clean it? Then put it back on without using a masterlink?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
fubar5 said:
Two chain breaks in 1/2 a mile?? Gee willickers batman!

Just out of curiosity, do break your chain to take it off the bike and clean it? Then put it back on without using a masterlink?

It's a Wipperman Connex... just unclip the master link for routine maintence...

fubar5

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
Houston, TX
N8 said:
It's a Wipperman Connex... just unclip the master link for routine maintence...

ok sorry, I haven't really looked at Wipperman chains ever and I was just wondering..not trying to put you down.