Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Turkey

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Alright monkeys, the Stanley Cup is over but the next major sporting event is just 2 days away. While it's probably not as popular as hockey around here, the Euro should provide for plenty of entertainment since the competition is even stiffer than in a world cup; just one look at this year's group of death, group C should give you an idea.

The groups:

Group A
Czech Republic
Portugal
Switzerland
Turkey

Group B
Austria
Croatia
Germany
Poland

Group C

France
Italy
Netherlands
Romania

Group D

Greece
Russia
Spain
Sweden

A lot of teams can win this thing, Germany is the bookee favourite, but probably rather because of their comparably easy draw than their abilities. Since the poll is limited to 10 options i had to omit some dark horses, but we can always have another one after the group stages.

So, who's watching? Predictions? Rants?

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
i can tell you which teams isnt going to win england
It's too bad they didn't make it, but what's even worse is how the British press is dealing with it, they make it sound as if England are completely incompetent and without skill and thus didn't deserve to qualify, when it was only down to that unfortunate loss to Croatia. Sure they could have done better and MacLaren was an awful coach, but i think they are quite good and will certainly be back. Just look at Germany, mediocre players at best and they cruised through the qualification round with the most goals scored of any team.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Which one that made it has the worst chance at winning it all? That will be the team I root for.
Well there was a petition in Austria (who qualified automatically as hosts) for them to give up their place in the tournament for a worthy team, so they are pretty bad, but i think Romania (who aren't bad) would surprise a lot of people if they made it out of that group.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would like to see Spain win, but Germany looks good this year.

England needs to cut some old dudes. Guys are spent from club play and could give a rats ass when playing for the National team.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
i like Portugal in A

Germany in B

Italy in C

and Spain in D

with Italy winning it all!!
I don't wanna see Italy take it, and even though they look really strong they will need some luck to advance from that group (2 teams advance). France has the deepest squad, lots of talent and experience, but i think they will get knocked out in the quarter finals. Spain look very good too, just like the Dutch do, but both teams have a history of not performing in big tournaments, but i wouldn't have a problem if either of them won it.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I went to DC back when I was in college for an internship interview. The cabbie started making small talk and what not during the drive to the hotel. He then got excited about the World Cup being in DC that year. I said "World Cup? What's that?" He didn't talk to me the rest of the trip.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
England could come with some pride...but Germany should walk it if Lehmann and Ballack are strong...Wayne Rooney comes up big, could be different...
France = non factor anymore.

At least its not golf. Does anyone watch golf anymore?

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
England could come with some pride...but Germany should walk it if Lehmann and Ballack are strong...Wayne Rooney comes up big, could be different...
France = non factor anymore.

At least its not golf. Does anyone watch golf anymore?
Dude, England didn't qualify. :rofl:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
...and don't underestimate France, great mix of experienced players and young talent, Nasri and Benzema are going to be superstars soon, Ribery already is one.
Oh and Lehmann..... i really don't like having mad Jens between the german goal posts, sure he has lots of experience, but so has Kahn, and he hasn't seen much play at Arsenal and is known for his blunders, so i really don't understand why he's number one, especially since germany has Rene Adler on the bench, who will probably be the world's best goalkeeper in one or two years.

Here's some Ribery goodness from last season:

Last edited:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Netherlands vs Italy is on at 2:45 ET, if you have time and even a remote interest in soccer, you owe it to yourself to watch this.

LokiLopez

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
London
very nice game, but now you guys have to deal with being favorites to win it all
Hope we can win tomorrow, so some pressure goes away! But I think Portugal deals well with pressure. Also, pretty happy with the defense, I think its our strongest ever.

Italy :biggrin:, that was just nasty! And Spain is playing wonderfully right now.

Hope Sweden kicks some greek ass tonight!

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
France will open up when Thierry Henry plays along side Anelka. He will want to go out with a bang and will take France to the finals and win.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
how bad did Italy get SCREWED yesterday!!!! WTF was that lineman thinking or not thinking of!!???!!! granted they gave up a few more, but that one goal really took a chunk out of Italy's morale. (sigh) they better get their s**t together for the next one or me thinks the North End of Boston's gonna be a real mess!!!

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Man the monkey is the suck at soccer predictions.

I would love to see Italy and France get knocked out.

Go Romania!

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Swing and a miss...

Haha got that one wrong for sure. Domenech juggled the team around soo much, they just lacked team work. The second they lost Ribery the game was over with Italy. I'll have to pull my Netherlands jersey out of the closet and support RvP. If only Bergkamp was still with them.

Spain is crazy good with Villa, Fabregas, Torres. Italy is going to have issues without Gattuso and Pirlo, i'd be surprised if they beat Spain.