Quantcast

euro/interbike 2019 aka the new stuff thread

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
This is exactly "what's wrong with the Industry".

A small company invents something. Meh...
Sram, Trek, Specialized, ect. reinvent it. HOLY SHIT! THE END-ALL, BE-ALL OF BIKING IS HERE!

Not once in that article did I read anything about the Syntace one. I didn't know about it either.

Though this one is for a Split pivot, how many bikes are using that? I know Trek and Devinci are. Anyone else?
Orbea uses it too, and a couple more small yuro brands.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have one of those on my bike. To be honest, I'm not sure why. I had to buy a new hanger and I run shimano drivetrain gear, so what the heck. It's a pretty substantial piece of aluminum, so I guess it's not likely to break, but I ordered one of each just in case.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
didn‘t shimano had something like that with their direct mount thingy too?
Shimano's DM solution was aimed primarily at ditching their flimsy b-link and replacing it with something sturdier in order to improve the RD's efficiency. IIRC the interface with the frame was non-standard, and bike brand dependant. I saw a couple of bent rear dropouts because it basically defeated the purpose of a replaceable derailleur hanger by transferring most of an impact to the frame.

Now on SRAM's take on this issue, I can't seem to find a way to put that "universal" hanger on several other non-concentric pivot dropouts :yu:.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I think salsa also uses split pivot, although I recognize they're not a major player to the extent trek is

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so, on the rumored Fox 38 fork. pretty obviously would be 38mm stanchions based on their naming nomenclature. will they do something new and make an enduro oriented dual crown fork? or just a mega beefed up single crown for enduro/ebikes? either way it better be a 20mm axle.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
so, on the rumored Fox 38 fork. pretty obviously would be 38mm stanchions based on their naming nomenclature. will they do something new and make an enduro oriented dual crown fork? or just a mega beefed up single crown for enduro/ebikes? either way it better be a 20mm axle.
Nah, they're faking it by throwing in beefier stanchions for the long travel 29ers. Instead of doing it the proper lizzurrds way and putting a 1.8" steerer in there.

Last edited:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Anyone have a Giant from 2015-2017? I forgot what year. But one year, and one year only, they had a 1.25 to 1.5 taper. Then they stopped after ONE year! Replacements?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Every once in a while I start looking for cheap totems to put an RC2 damper in. It would be nice if someone just made one. Current fox 36s ain't what they used to be as far as stiffness.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Anyone have a Giant from 2015-2017? I forgot what year. But one year, and one year only, they had a 1.25 to 1.5 taper. Then they stopped after ONE year! Replacements?
I had one and swapped out the fork for a regular one fairly quickly. The headsets itself weren't an issue at all, but it sucks if your bike actually came with a decent fork that you wanted to use somewhere else, which would force you use the 1.25 upper headset or get a new CSU.

If anyone is looking for a 1.25 stem, I have a beautiful Cromag one that will probably never get used again.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I had one and swapped out the fork for a regular one fairly quickly. The headsets itself weren't an issue at all, but it sucks if your bike actually came with a decent fork that you wanted to use somewhere else, which would force you use the 1.25 upper headset or get a new CSU.

If anyone is looking for a 1.25 stem, I have a beautiful Cromag one that will probably never get used again.
ROFLMAO

give SRAM two more years

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Every once in a while I start looking for cheap totems to put an RC2 damper in. It would be nice if someone just made one. Current fox 36s ain't what they used to be as far as stiffness.
There is always the Z1, heavier, but also supposed to be stiffer.

Any thoughts about the new Mezzer? 37mm and it has a potentially good damper in it already, it they went with a tweaked version of the one in the Mattoc. Have not followed the empty beer thread so no idea what the initial thoughts are with regards to teh innards. Cost is in its favour as well.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's just as light as the other ones so probably also thin walls.

totems were like 6+lbs. It's not just stanchion diameter.

That said, I didn't realize the mezzers were 37mm. Almost sort of but not really makes up for that fucking stupid 15mm axle bolt.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's just as light as the other ones so probably also thin walls.

totems were like 6+lbs. It's not just stanchion diameter.

That said, I didn't realize the mezzers were 37mm. Almost sort of but not really makes up for that fucking stupid 15mm axle bolt.
Zzyzx was light.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
My point was that no one is going to buy the fork, headsets are limited and stems are too. Can you reduce the fork to an 1 1/8"? Or was this fork requiring a new standard to be born?

Just like 1.5 from 2003. Made for 2 years and disappeared.

1 1/8" choices? Pretty much limitless.

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
Why not get the e-bike version? Stiffer, grip2...

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Only barspins I'm ever going to be performing are the ones that happen as I tumble down a double black diamond intertwined with my bike.