Quantcast

Euro Monkey advice - Week through Europe Copenhagen to Barcelona

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Me and my two boys age 12 and 14 are going on a road trip through Euroland where we need to end up in Barcelona airport July 9th late in the evening to pick up the wife. Last time I did a similar trip we went through the alps and stayed in Chamonix which was great but it was just one day and spur of the moment but that area is super nice and I love the mountains. We are also going straight through the area around Andorra which could be interesting. Also thinking about going through France and visiting some of the WW2 sites and maybe Paris. Looking for some suggestions the boys will find interesting too.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
as a murican the only thing i can say is whatever route has the most mountains...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
If wwII sites are your thing, the D-day beaches and cemeteries are worth the detour. The Juno beaches at Arromanches contrasted with Utah and Omaha beaches are... sobering.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Flying into?? If Rome is an option, I would do that and make the drive up and around the coast to Barcelona...hit Florence, Cannes, Marseille...but traveling with teenagers is always a challenge, so ply them with plenty of gelato, pizza and pasta. Maybe a bikini or 3...

D Day beaches and Normandy are great if they have a history bent. I have been there but tbh the summer is tourist hell there, and unless you go with a specific mission set in mind, there is simply too friggin much to see.
(Maisy Battery is awesome...the story is incredible...https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/exclusive-cover-omaha-beach-d-day-us-rangers-untold-story-maisy-battery-2.html?chrome=1)

As one who has traveled in Europe extensively with kids (Mine were 8 and 12 when they left...) you have to keep them happy, or they will adopt my kids travel motto "ABC/ADC" or "Another bloody castle, another damn church..."

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Flying into?? If Rome is an option, I would do that and make the drive up and around the coast to Barcelona...hit Florence, Cannes, Marseille...but traveling with teenagers is always a challenge, so ply them with plenty of gelato, pizza and pasta. Maybe a bikini or 3...

D Day beaches and Normandy are great if they have a history bent. I have been there but tbh the summer is tourist hell there, and unless you go with a specific mission set in mind, there is simply too friggin much to see.
(Maisy Battery is awesome...the story is incredible...https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/exclusive-cover-omaha-beach-d-day-us-rangers-untold-story-maisy-battery-2.html?chrome=1)

As one who has traveled in Europe extensively with kids (Mine were 8 and 12 when they left...) you have to keep them happy, or they will adopt my kids travel motto "ABC/ADC" or "Another bloody castle, another damn church..."
Another Dutch Portrait.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I saw a lot of people with nice bikes around Barcelona, I didn't get to ride but I did really enjoy pints in plastic cups, so much so that one night paramedics tracked me down to check my blood alcohol level, hahaha!

Wonder if Unno would let you in to see how their frames are made?