Quantcast

Euro Monkies

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
i too hope to come to morzine this summer... i was in les2alpes last year, but the trails were definitely too smooth and jump-less, i hope les gets is better
Morzine is ok, but overall Les Gets is pretty smooth and brakebumpish. There are smaller technical trails though, some not marked out.

You probebly would like Morzine and Avoriaz better than Les Gets.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Morzine is ok, but overall Les Gets is pretty smooth and brakebumpish. There are smaller technical trails though, some not marked out.

You probebly would like Morzine and Avoriaz better than Les Gets.
Hm dunno about that, I mean yeah Morzine is cool but Pleney is usually so full of brakebumps (the times I was there) that you need a super monster to ride it. On the other side of the bridge is the illegal track which is awsome but not really a DH track in the traditional way.

The Mont Chery track in Les Gets rocks and the new track on the other side totally rocks, super fast open with high speed berms etc, down the bottom you end in the 4 track where you can do the transfer jump thingy (which is allways a jaw dropper to most people).
And then offcourse theres the Canyon track, one of the sketchiest things Ive ever ridden (in a good way) :busted:

Avoriaz is downhill Freeride to me, nice technical single tracks, crossing rivers n stuff.

And then theres Chatel, Couple easy downhills which arent really cool but the Anne Caro track makes up for that, not a track I enjoy riding in the wet. lol

I also remember a track with lots and lots of rocks, I believe its a Nationals track from a couple years ago, would be Chatel or Avoriaz.
Anyone got info on that one? I was hoping its the Chatel track thats on the iXS agenda...

Anyone?

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Yea, Les Gets, especially Mont Chery is fun and fast for sure, but not very technical, if that´s what he wanted. Well some rooty parts, but not very challenging, if we talk about tracks for an 8/8" dh-sled.
Anne Caro is cool, the national track that you mean is probebly Les Lindarets (Avoriaz, Montriond). Completely different from the bikepark type man-made stuff in Les Gets (gets boring quite fast, sorry just my opinion).

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
How about Italy, ArthurDH? Anything that you would like to recommend? How´s Val di Sole, Livigno?

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Yup thats the track, Les Lindarettes.
I thought the newer track (with the new lift) in Les Gets was awsome, not very challenging but one of the fastest tracks Ive ever ridden and definitly a welcome change from the technical German roots and rocks tracks that Im used too.
So any ID on the Chatel track from the iXS cup?
I might be in the neighbourhood around that time...

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Yea, if you´re close do the race! Site says "vario" track, I guess it´s the Anne Caro?

That ixs cup is massive, 13 races!

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Yea, if you´re close do the race! Site says "vario" track, I guess it´s the Anne Caro?
pretty good place to base your self for a summer of rac
That ixs cup is massive, 13 races!
Nah Vario is Vario, in the Pra la Joux valley, Anne Caro's track is on the other side of Chatel town, Vario will be intersting to race, needs to be tapped well to avoid some interesting "race" lines!

As for the rest of the Portes du Soleil, Morzine is a pretty good place to base your self for a summer of racing, there is about 9 trails on the Pleney hill alone, unfortunelty when you go there for some holidays you tend to ride the main tracks and then leave with the impression that the area is just braking bumped to siht!

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Yup thats the track, Les Lindarettes.
I thought the newer track (with the new lift) in Les Gets was awsome, not very challenging but one of the fastest tracks Ive ever ridden and definitly a welcome change from the technical German roots and rocks tracks that Im used too.
So any ID on the Chatel track from the iXS cup?
I might be in the neighbourhood around that time...
there is a livigno video on youtube, and here is a (german) story about livigno:

http://www.soulbiker.com/de/guide/show/section/livigno-bikepark-mottolino-downhill-freeride/

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The IXS Chatel track will be rebuilt for the race and the start will be higher up the hill than the current Vario trailhead. Seb, the shaper from Chatel, said he would make some new flat out drifty sections mixed in with the roots and tech scree slope stuff the Vario trail already has.
a pic from Chatel....

edit: Have you guys ridden the Champery WC DH track? It was nicely worked in at the end of the season and much more fun to ride. Supposedly, it will see some work to it this spring and the really hard corners will have alternate lines.

DamoDH: we should ride sometime. I live in Champery and do the building in Crosets and Morgins.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Euro Monkey's I need your support I have a few bike camps to choose from one bike org and I'm kinda not sure what to choose for pure downhill training.
For now you'll probably find only the places to choose from as english lang site is not yet fully up but still you can help me a bit ;) >>>http://www.totalbikes.pl/ <<<

Whistler is a no for now. Just got a 1300euro bill for heli transport to the hospital so no $$ for that ://

PS. Sb asked me around here around PL camps - so as long as the eng site is not fully working you can direct it to me and I'll be your translator ;) Would be nice to see some foreigners around here ;)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
**** me, that todtnau video is sweet, I can't wait to get myself some Alps action this summer, will have to look to fit Todtnau in in 2009 maybe!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The Chatel track for the IXS race will be on the Vario trail and they will build a higher start and modify some sections. Has anyone ridden the Morgins trails?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
If you are in fact Ben, then yes, we have ridden together... Its Damo the kiwi on the M3...
Oh cool, I remember now, I was trying to figure it out but the name and bike description always makes it easier. If you want to get in some riding pre-season then let me know. We have lots of shuttle-able public transportation like Bex, Montreux or Dorenaz. I start building on the trail (Chevreil) next to the WC DH track in April and Claudio will be working on the WC track so the tram laps could be good early season.

Ask Lolo at the bike shop in Champery for my number if you want to ride a bit early season.

Ben

Hey Euro Monkies, looking for some local advice here. My brother some friends and I are going to be in Europe for a six weeks this summer and I'm trying to figure out which races to hit up while were there. I think I've got most of it figured out but was wondering if anyone had some advice on which one of these 3 races to choose, as they are all on the same weekend. We'll be making our way from Fort William WC#2 and heading to Italy to check out world champs and we are planning on doing one of these races in between. I am kind of leaning toward the one in Austria, mostly just to get to a different region that we wont be going to the rest of the trip.
Just wondering if anyone has any info on any of these races and if there is any reason why one would be a better race then the others. Here they are. Thanks!
June 15 ASVÖ Wurbauer Downhill, Windischgarsten Austria
June 14 - 15 Czech National Cup - XCO-DHI, Spindleruv mlyn
June 15 Coupe de France VTT Subaru - Descente, Montriond

Mlody

Monkey
Feb 25, 2006
London - UK
Poland (maybe someone posted this already, but this is new calendar - because some events have changed):

Polish Cup:
27.04 - Myslenice
04.05 - Kamiensk
01.06 - Wierchomla
15.06 - Myslenice
13.07 - Wierchomla
20.07 - Wisla - Stozek ---- Polish Championships
27.07 - Zieleniec
03.08 - Wierchomla (again...)
24.08 - Kasina Wielka - Snieznica

Here's video from 2007 Downhill Contest series
http://www.vimeo.com/853920

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
there is also the irish nps if you are interested, most of the tracks are pretty good, nothing too amazing due to the lack of mountains...but the tracks are good fun!

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Cool vid, i especially like the riding shots from the chairlift.

Btw: do any monkeys plan on coming to wheels of speed?

The Montriond race is about 5 mins from my place.
It is the craziest track.
Check this wee vid I made last year when I was injured (just put it up on youtube for you):
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3hqrrr0VJJM
Got me leaning toward that race after seeing the video, terrain looks sweet, and being in the Morzine area to ride for a few days after the race would be sweet.