Quantcast

Eurobike 2013 Thread

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Are you kidding me? They absolutely RUINED the 450 imo. I can't even put my finger on what they've done to it, but in my eyes it's gone from kick ass to horrendous. 2/10, would not bang.

In another note, the top right Giro helmet looks rad!
If it makes you feel any better, it's probably a lot lighter

I am always glad to see a new fork which has independent HSC and LSC adjustments. However, showing off a proto fork that uses 3D printed parts is a new level of vaporware hype.

2 weeks?
that carbon mudguard seems alittle excessive. :think:

prob could achieve the same weight and form factor with ol' fashioned plastic.

i was gonna get the Pike...maybe i will hold off now...

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Are you kidding me? They absolutely RUINED the 450 imo. I can't even put my finger on what they've done to it, but in my eyes it's gone from kick ass to horrendous. 2/10, would not bang.

In another note, the top right Giro helmet looks rad!
You can't put your finger on it because it doesn't look like anything. It looks like any generic catalog frame now. And just when I thought their graphics couldn't get any worse than last year...

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
You could probably get the Pike, ride it, wait for the Push tune to come out and ride it some more before this will be out.
^^^^ This.

Surprised it isn't inverted after all the 'benefits of inverted flex' banter.
I'm sure it will work fine but this doesn't strike me as a 'wow' product; especially if it's uber expensive.

Speaking of which, have they announced the weight of the Emerald?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
that carbon mudguard seems alittle excessive. :think:

prob could achieve the same weight and form factor with ol' fashioned plastic.

i was gonna get the Pike...maybe i will hold off now...
I'm waiting for them to tell us that their carbon mudguard is actually a structural component that increases stiffness by 30% or something.

And as for holding off, what Beef Supreme said.

That said, the DVO stuff looks promising and I'm happy to see another player with some fresh ideas.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
aftermarket vs oem
cheaper and easier to replace, can be put on multiple forks = better.

As for the enve stem - why would you buy that ? If you have tons of cash to spare and want a light direct mount just buy a stemcrown. It is lighter than 110-120g and it is a way safer bet.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That's what I was thinking, 120g for such a short stem isn't radically light.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
You can't put your finger on it because it doesn't look like anything. It looks like any generic catalog frame now. And just when I thought their graphics couldn't get any worse than last year...

I hate to say it but I agree, the looks just went south a bit. I'm sure it'll look better in person, and I bet most of it is the graphics. The frame itself actually looks a bit more like a G.G., with the G.G. winning in the looks dept.
Also, kinda too bad they axed the 250, but I'm sure it made a lot of sense from a business standpoint.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
6.8lb iirc.

Going to be a bit of a tough sell, unless the performance is incredible.
lets not forget all the hype they have stirred up. i see no issue with them selling their forks...
And spend the extra money on hookers.
lets not forget blow for the hookers ;)
Also, kinda too bad they axed the 250, but I'm sure it made a lot of sense from a business standpoint.
as long as it works as advertised, i think its a great idea.. not only do you have the 450, but you can change it up to the 250 when you wanna try something new. its also gotta be way easier on them, they just turned two frames in to one, essentially.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm with stupid. combining the 250 and 450 into one bike really makes some sense, since they were virtually identical to start with.

While it's not eurotrashbike, airborne recently released their new frame:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I'm with stupid. combining the 250 and 450 into one bike really makes some sense, since they were virtually identical to start with.

While it's not eurotrashbike, airborne recently released their new frame:

Aw man, you could put the new fox shock double barrel on there and a mrp lg1 guide and that will be the
"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" bike of the year.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Aw man, you could put the new fox shock double barrel on there and a mrp lg1 guide and that will be the
"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" bike of the year.
hey with the $1000 you save, you can buy both and still have enough left to fill a g-string or two.

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
The front triangle reminds me of the Jamis Dakar DH-bike. I hate the looks of that bike.

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
I still don't get the mix of simplicity of single pivot wheel path and complexity of linkage driven shocks..

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I still don't get the mix of simplicity of single pivot wheel path and complexity of linkage driven shocks..
single pivots are simple and can be designed to ride incredibly well.

Linkages stiffen up the rear triangle (additional attachment point) and control the shock to give it a specific leverage rate (usually rising, which is difficult/impossible to achieve without a linkage).

You might be surprised at how many of your favorite bikes ARE single pivots, and how many are really really close to riding like single pivots.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
been a massive supporter of transition for years, this will be the first year in probably 8 that i wont be riding one for xc. really not into those graphics and paint jobs as of late...

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
single pivots are simple and can be designed to ride incredibly well.

Linkages stiffen up the rear triangle (additional attachment point) and control the shock to give it a specific leverage rate (usually rising, which is difficult/impossible to achieve without a linkage).

You might be surprised at how many of your favorite bikes ARE single pivots, and how many are really really close to riding like single pivots.
I agree with pretty much all of that, except that it is very possible to make a progressive leverage curve sans linkage. And, as far as linkages go, they can stiffen the rear end, but it doesn't necessarily mean that every frame with a linkage is stiffer than every non-linkage frame.