Quantcast

Eurobike 2013 Thread

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Not that I know of. Given that it's a Strange model I'm not sure if it'll make production. And given that it is 160mm travel I'd imagine the chainstays are quite long.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
4g's US. Outpacing even $pecialized! Hell I was just looking at info on the carbon Rush from 2007, $6800 for a top level carbon bike. The new top level BMC is $5000 more expensive! http://reviews.mtbr.com/revealed-bmc-tf01-29-–-trailfox-all-mountain-29er-with-150mm-of-travel it's really looking like it's an arms race to see who can make the most expensive dentist-carrier.
Comparing that Rush to the BMC is like comparing a Mustang to a Bugatti Veyron. I had a Commencal Meta 55 carbon from that time and it was a total POS compared to my current bike - Yeti SB66c.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Comparing that Rush to the BMC is like comparing a Mustang to a Bugatti Veyron. I had a Commencal Meta 55 carbon from that time and it was a total POS compared to my current bike - Yeti SB66c.
I'll give you the suspension design has more "complications", and there's a dropper on the BMC as well, but the cannondale had a lefty carbon, a wildly expensive fork, while the bmc has a fox with colored stanchions. They both share full XTR, though the rush had custom cranks on it. Throw some carbon rims in there, and I still don't see 5gs.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Man, you lot are going to self implode when the new Boxxer comes out!

Shall we play guess what's changing?
Low drag seals like everybody else?

Just kidding.

Sounds like you're alluding to 650b option, which to be honest, meh. Now, 650b with 15mm axle, now were cooking.

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
Low drag seals like everybody else?

Just kidding.

Sounds like you're alluding to 650b option, which to be honest, meh. Now, 650b with 15mm axle, now were cooking.
It's going to have the Charger damper. The Boxxer may well be the best fork available next year at any price.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'm willing to bet that the boxxer + charger damper will feel really goddamn good.

I'm also willing to bet that it will continue to be a great choice among several others.

I'm also willing to bet sandwich will continue to hate Rockshox, and think the boxxer is the worst thing ever despite not riding one, because of his terrible experience with RS in which he lost a ton of money and time.

Lastly, I'm willing to bet that the boxxer will have proportionally fewer problems then the new DVO stuff, but will reported on ridemonkey with much more vitriol and hatred.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
single pivots are simple and can be designed to ride incredibly well.

Linkages control the shock to give it a specific leverage rate (usually rising, which is difficult/impossible to achieve without a linkage).
Not true, see Gorilla Gravity. It's actually pretty easy to get a nice shock rate with a single pivot. Also pretty easy to get plenty stiffness without extra attachment points. Big, wide pivot and well designed swingarm.

Edit: i just read a little farther down page 3 and saw that GG's Matt said the same thing.

Last edited:

BCTJ

Chimp
Sep 1, 2013
Anthem, Arizona
Does anyone know if those airbag helmets work for mountain biking? I saw the story today but it said they aren't available for sale in the US.

dhbrigade

Chimp
Feb 21, 2006
Think they are more directed to the city/commuter segment.

I would not be pleased to replace my helmet every time going OTB.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm also willing to bet sandwich will continue to hate Rockshox, and think the boxxer is the worst thing ever despite not riding one, because of his terrible experience with RS in which he lost a ton of money and time.
I didn't really lose much money, but I've just consistently been let down by my boxxers (I owned 3) and rockshox forks (I owned a total of six) in general. I just think the tolerances and QC are not good enough for a premium product. Everybody likes the pike so I'm sure it'll be a good upgrade, but saying it's going to be better than the halo-fork devo or the incredibly solid cr-style damper in the 888ish replacement, or the really good air spring added to the really good fit damper because there's now a rubber bladder in the same poorly toleranced and ill-sealed boxxer, would really surprise me. It is much blacker though.

Not true, see Gorilla Gravity. It's actually pretty easy to get a nice shock rate with a single pivot. Also pretty easy to get plenty stiffness without extra attachment points. Big, wide pivot and well designed swingarm.

Edit: i just read a little farther down page 3 and saw that GG's Matt said the same thing.
That's true, but I'd still wager you can make a bike stiffer and lighter with an additional scissor link (you're effectively triangulating the rear triangle, splitting the loads), and you can't get too fancy with the leverage curve. How fancy you need to get is debatable, but is a rising rate with much of a curve at either end really achievable without any sort of linkage?

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
Anyone else ride the new GT Fury?

I have... curious to hear someone else's impressions before sharing my own.
Pinkbike loved it. http://www.pinkbike.com/news/GT-Fury-Tested.html

As Dogboy said, I'd also like to hear what you think, particularly regarding sizing. Been hearing a lot lately about longer bikes being better, but I wonder how they would feel to a guy like me who lacks world cup-level skill and speed, and not riding tracks as rowdy as Val di Sole.

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
Pinkbike loved it. http://www.pinkbike.com/news/GT-Fury-Tested.html

As Dogboy said, I'd also like to hear what you think, particularly regarding sizing. Been hearing a lot lately about longer bikes being better, but I wonder how they would feel to a guy like me who lacks world cup-level skill and speed, and not riding tracks as rowdy as Val di Sole.
Well it sounds like no one else has been on it yet, so I'll throw my opinion out there.

Full disclosure, I'm a complete hack and am 5'11 160lb. One jump flow trail and one tech trail, so I didn't get much time on the bike. My normal ride is a V10.5 in large. I rode the GT Fury in medium.

To me, it felt a bit unresponsive and hard to control, like it just wanted to head straight down. I don't want to say a lot as it's not really a fair test, but I just wasn't thrilled and didn't feel immediately comfortable on it.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Well it sounds like no one else has been on it yet, so I'll throw my opinion out there.

Full disclosure, I'm a complete hack and am 5'11 160lb. One jump flow trail and one tech trail, so I didn't get much time on the bike. My normal ride is a V10.5 in large. I rode the GT Fury in medium.

To me, it felt a bit unresponsive and hard to control, like it just wanted to head straight down. I don't want to say a lot as it's not really a fair test, but I just wasn't thrilled and didn't feel immediately comfortable on it.
That's what ever gigantic bike I've ever ridden has felt like to me. But they are stable at speeds and they don't get wonked off line easily. That's about what I would expect.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW

Thanks for that. I'm your height and weight, and probably a more complete hack, but on a med v10.4 and after a season of riding I'm really wishing I had gone with the large. I think the v10 is great in many ways, but mine's just feeling too small. I can't swing a new v10.5, so I'm looking into more affordable options and thought the GT might be a contender. Picking my way around tight corners on a bike that turns like an oil tanker at slow speed doesn't sound like a good time to me.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Yeah, but like what bikes? Even the mighty Foes changed their ways and now uses linkages to control the rate (as opposed to the old scissor links that only gave them stiffness). I'm thinking that a single pivot just limits you way too much in terms of rate, shock travel and geometry, that you can't really combine all three and have to make some serious compromises somewhere...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
How is the Gorilla Gravity bike compromised? That's just one example but I'm sure there's several other single pivots with good weight, geo, stiffness, wheel path, and shock rate. It's really not that hard, especially compared to the crazy stuff to consider when designing a dual link bike.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Umm, that GT bike Gee has been kicking everyone's ass on, is essentially a straight single pivot. The upper linkage is just for stiffness, not rate. It seems like most companies are moving away from aggressively rising rate, toward a more gentle, slightly rising rate, almost straight rate, and tuning with the shock.

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
Thanks for that. I'm your height and weight, and probably a more complete hack, but on a med v10.4 and after a season of riding I'm really wishing I had gone with the large. I think the v10 is great in many ways, but mine's just feeling too small. I can't swing a new v10.5, so I'm looking into more affordable options and thought the GT might be a contender. Picking my way around tight corners on a bike that turns like an oil tanker at slow speed doesn't sound like a good time to me.
Glad to be of some help :)

I think that the large is better for me, with the V10, but I can't be positive. It definitely doesn't feel too big, and I have no trouble throwing it around when I have to.

I'd check out the aluminum Session if I were you. Have only ridden the carbon version, but I just love it.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Everything is a compromise. If it's a straight single pivot then it's going to be falling rate, linear, or rising rate. No way to incorporate anything other than a straight rate.
Yes, every design is a balancing act of compromises, but I don't think that's what Leland was getting at. I think it was more along the lines that you can get good geo, favorable leverage rate curve, frame stiffness and light weight sans linkage on a DH frame. I would agree.

You can produce a progressive rear wheel spring rate with a single pivot, sans linkage. It's also not necessarily a straight line, either. You're not going to get any rapid changes in the curve, but I would argue that's a good thing.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Umm, that GT bike Gee has been kicking everyone's ass on, is essentially a straight single pivot. The upper linkage is just for stiffness, not rate. It seems like most companies are moving away from aggressively rising rate, toward a more gentle, slightly rising rate, almost straight rate, and tuning with the shock.
Not really true. Even though people don't want much progression in their dh bikes anymore initial progression for sensitivity is still wellcome and you need linkage for that.

And with a virtual pivot you have the ability to play with axle path. In no way I'm saying SP's are in any way worse but they leave the designer with less choices.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Yes, every design is a balancing act of compromises, but I don't think that's what Leland was getting at. I think it was more along the lines that you can get good geo, favorable leverage rate curve, frame stiffness and light weight sans linkage on a DH frame. I would agree.

You can produce a progressive rear wheel spring rate with a single pivot, sans linkage. It's also not necessarily a straight line, either. You're not going to get any rapid changes in the curve, but I would argue that's a good thing.
I totally agree about the rapid changes. How much progression do you guys have on your bike?