Quantcast

Eurobike 2018

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Haven't seen anyting terribly exciting or innovative so far.

I only realized this was an e-bike after i took the picture. I might have been distraceted by the alien.

Plastic Patrol and Smugggler:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I only realized this was an e-bike after i took the picture. I might have been distraceted by the alien.
Oh yeah, the new fuckery is going to be E-bikes that you can easily take the battery and motor off of that weigh the same as every other bike with those parts removed. This is definitely coming soon.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
The next step are e-bikes that are indistinguishable.
THAT is coming.
I think that has already happened in "the industry". It's depressing. It's all I hear about. EBIKES EBIKES WOOHOO EBIKES THE INDUSTRY IS SAVED FROM ITSELF IT'S A MIRACLE!!!!!!! Becsause nobody is buying our other crap

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
On the other hand, I saw a 13 speed drivetrain with....yes......ANOTHER FREE HUB STANDARD. So that makes, hmmmmm, 6 different ones currently in use? Why not just make an 11.9997 mm thru axle???

sorry, just ranting.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I quite like the look of the new analog Lapierres:

This is probably for people who make vroom vroom sounds when ebiking, which should be most Haibike customers:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Is this the thread where we can ask you to take pictures of stuff we're interested in? I'm particularly curious about helmets with slip-plane technology. In particular those with VPD-type technology. I think Leatt and Kali are the main ones. But are there others?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Is this the thread where we can ask you to take pictures of stuff we're interested in? I'm particularly curious about helmets with slip-plane technology. In particular those with VPD-type technology. I think Leatt and Kali are the main ones. But are there others?
OT: I can recommend the Leatt DBX 3.0. My most comfortable helmet so far and I hope those rubbery rings will do their job when needed.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I won’t have time today but I’ll try to get some pics tomorrow. Let me know if there are specific details that are important to you.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
@slyfink Here are some rather rough pics of the slip plane helmets I could find. With Bell and Giro, you can get almost every off-road helmet with Mips while Poc are doing their own thing after their break up with Mips.

The majority of brands don’t bother with this technology.

https://imgur.com/gallery/GmJEtkT

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i'm gonna say NO considering her past conviction
oh, I'm sure she's clean now. No way would she ever use again. :nose:

@slyfink Here are some rather rough pics of the slip plane helmets I could find. With Bell and Giro, you can get almost every off-road helmet with Mips while Poc are doing their own thing after their break up with Mips.

never really been a fan of MIPS, not sure why. Paying extra for something that achieves the same thing as a loose helmet? Somewhat unproven technology? Big plastic bowl between your head and helmet? I dunno.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
OT: I can recommend the Leatt DBX 3.0. My most comfortable helmet so far and I hope those rubbery rings will do their job when needed.
Not off topic at all. Thanks! It's one of the two I'm considering. I was very happy with my Kali interceptor, but I find only two available sizes kind of disappointing. I think I would fit the medium Leatt very well .

For comparison, what size Leatt are you in, and what size from other brands were you in before?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Personally, I haven’t found a mips helmet that was comfortable on my noggin.
missed this part, i have the Smith Forefront MIPS and i find it to be very comfy. Perhaps a touch warm on hotter days, but apparently the new version has better venting.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Not off top

Not off topic at all. Thanks! It's one of the two I'm considering. I was very happy with my Kali interceptor, but I find only two available sizes kind of disappointing. I think I would fit the medium Leatt very well .

For comparison, what size Leatt are you in, and what size from other brands were you in before?
My Leatt is size M. I am usually between M and L on the M side, my other helmets (Bell Super 2, Smith, Giro Feature) were also M. The only exception I made was an L Kali (that added to a shopping cart because it was only ~$15) and that helmet is too big for me.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My Leatt is size M. I am usually between M and L on the M side, my other helmets (Bell Super 2, Smith, Giro Feature) were also M. The only exception I made was an L Kali (that added to a shopping cart because it was only ~$15) and that helmet is too big for me.
Thanks! I'm right on the border of M or L with most helmets, which makes sense given that I just measured my head at 58.5 cm, and the M range for Giro, Bell, Specialized and Leatt is 55-59 cm. I've had three Giro Hexes in M. The L was always large and floppy, and depending on the manufacturer, a size M could be just right or too tight (e.g. the Specialized Ambush was too narrow in medium).

Thanks! I went in to a shop and was able to fondle a POC spin-equipped helmet. Their pads are all in the front half of the helmet. Given that I hit my head from the top/behind, I don't feel like it would have done much to help me. I also like Kali's approach to multiple densities of foam, and I think Leatt has this as well. I could see the little pyramids of different density and coloured foam in my cracked helmet. I can't help but think that contributed to saving my neck. Leatt also claim their discs absorb a portion of the impact. IMO, anything that helps with energy absorption is a bonus.

I was looking for pictures, because I'm not really keen on the colours of the Bell and Giro helmets. I want my helmets to do double-duty for commuting, and so I want a hi-viz version. I'm not keen on the Sixer or Montaro coulours. I can't see that Bell Spark on their website... new model not released in North America yet?!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
No TITS on new Carbon Trannys? Come on why not?

That feature is amazing. Push hose in one end, take a gulp of beer, push hose and watch it come out the other end of frame. Simple as hell...

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
No TITS on new Carbon Trannys? Come on why not?

That feature is amazing. Push hose in one end, take a gulp of beer, push hose and watch it come out the other end of frame. Simple as hell...
My Patrol frame had tits and the first one was warrantied as the bend was too tight and messed up to get seatpost housing to route. Second was barely better enough to get the housing to push through with much black magic and making hooks and tools with shop. I heard they had a ton of issues similar and probably decided the tits wasn't the tits after all from a support standpoint.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My Patrol frame had tits and the first one was warrantied as the bend was too tight and messed up to get seatpost housing to route. Second was barely better enough to get the housing to push through with much black magic and making hooks and tools with shop. I heard they had a ton of issues similar and probably decided the tits wasn't the tits after all from a support standpoint.
size xs, and a reverb perhaps? I agree, inserting the reverb hose was a royal pain in the ass, tits or not. :kiss:, but with a cable actuated post, it was awesome.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
size xs, and a reverb perhaps? I agree, inserting the reverb hose was a royal pain in the ass, tits or not. :kiss:, but with a cable actuated post, it was awesome.
XL with a 9point8 Fall Line. I would have murdered somebody if trying to fit a reverb hydro hose through that.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
this is interesting. Mips is interesting, but I love Brad (kali) and his commitment to protecting what's left of my brain. I have personally crash test dummied the conehead tech and it works. And I have the latest Leatt coming in a bit