Quantcast

Eurobike 2018

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I think that has already happened in "the industry". It's depressing. It's all I hear about. EBIKES EBIKES WOOHOO EBIKES THE INDUSTRY IS SAVED FROM ITSELF IT'S A MIRACLE!!!!!!! Becsause nobody is buying our other crap
Sales are really down for the industry on the more expensive bike front? I'm a bit out of the loop since I stopped writing to a dodgy site I worked with 2 years ago. Would the low sales have something in common with a confused and angry customer due to standards madness?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Wouldn't the BB move forward as the suspension compresses?
Ah, you are right! I missed the small pivot right in front of the main one, where this geometry altering part is attached to the main swing arm.

That's a different story then. Small dual link with attached linkage driven shock. Interesting, will start up linkage at home.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yes.
$6k - $9k bicycles can't be helping either.
That's just inflation on products aimed at upper middle class and richer people that's happening everywhere but yeah it's idiotic. Even direct order brands got expensive.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Sales are really down for the industry on the more expensive bike front? I'm a bit out of the loop since I stopped writing to a dodgy site I worked with 2 years ago. Would the low sales have something in common with a confused and angry customer due to standards madness?
I don't have any specific's, but I read Bicycle retailer and Industry news and they give general quarterly reports and they have been going down for a few years. And if you have investors, all they know is "growth".

Even without that factor, it just seems like the industry is desperate for THE NEXT BIG THING. Disc brakes and full suspension are pretty old things. Carbon is waaaay old and overrated and they don't know what else to do.

So let's create a new category with all new parts and standards and stuff and get everybody all excited again. OK maybe fine. Yes, I do have a bit of a problem with making Lithium Ion fires a daily occurance, but what really bugs me is the media's blinders on to everything else. The media days before Eurobike were mostly a smattering of E-bike, to ride at a bike park on a lift.

And I was told last year that if I didn't have an e-bike in the line up, nobody in Europe would carry my bikes. My "bio" bikes, which I now just heard are "analog" bikes.

cuz, you know, they can't just be bikes without a motor.

i think low sales are mainly because bikes have gotten pretty good over the last few years and not much better has happened. I've heard from some of my customers that have money that said they've wanted a new bike, but they demo everything and they're not any better than their old bike. and they were pissed because they had money to spend.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I don't have any specific's, but I read Bicycle retailer and Industry news and they give general quarterly reports and they have been going down for a few years. And if you have investors, all they know is "growth".

Even without that factor, it just seems like the industry is desperate for THE NEXT BIG THING. Disc brakes and full suspension are pretty old things. Carbon is waaaay old and overrated and they don't know what else to do.

So let's create a new category with all new parts and standards and stuff and get everybody all excited again. OK maybe fine. Yes, I do have a bit of a problem with making Lithium Ion fires a daily occurance, but what really bugs me is the media's blinders on to everything else. The media days before Eurobike were mostly a smattering of E-bike, to ride at a bike park on a lift.

And I was told last year that if I didn't have an e-bike in the line up, nobody in Europe would carry my bikes. My "bio" bikes, which I now just heard are "analog" bikes.

i think low sales are mainly because bikes have gotten pretty good over the last few years and not much better has happened. I've heard from some of my customers that have money that said they've wanted a new bike, but they demo everything and they're not any better than their old bike. and they were pissed because they had money to spend.
I guess they haven't heard of n+1? (or is that n-1?). People, you're not limited to one bike you know!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I guess they haven't heard of n+1? (or is that n-1?). People, you're not limited to one bike you know!
Whilst my n=6 I've no great need to change any of them and I certainly don't need to add a moped to my collection.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
So low sales are because of the dentists?!

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Send them to me. I am getting pretty good at rationalizing new bike purchases even when I have a perfectly fine bike from only a few years ago. I am about to pull the trigger on a new Full-Enduro-Bro Wunderbike and even my wife thinks it's a good idea!
:banana::weee:

Pretty much the only argument against the new bike purchase is that it implies I will be kicked out of the "I ride 26 because Fuck You" club. That makes me sad.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
So low sales are because of the dentists?!
Dentists have realized rapidly that an eBike costs about 2 grands more than a similarly spec'ed normal bike. They have already switched to more efficient money-burning projects than simple muscle-powered bikes.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Yeah but all sales means the huge majority of those are cheap bikes in the sub 1200$ category not the producs we talk about here. For big companies bikes that are your competition don't really influence their bottom line. It's like icing on the cake more than anything.

As for the next big thing - they were desperate for that since 10-12 years. Every year they are pushing something new VERY hard and are super confident it will catch on. Plus wheels were pushed as the next big thing, same 35mm only slowly became reasonably popular but they have not completely pushed out 31.8 despite the industry pushing for that for 8 years. Also there have been some great changes that have helped sales on the enduro market - dropper posts and 1-11 drivetrains. That doesn't work for bike mfgs but for enduro you have so much room for improvement this is stupid. DH bikes are pretty dialed but Enduro and trailbike geometry is still evolving, many companies have absolutely atrocious suspension design (though they are often saved by progress in damping and people not knowing how to set up their own suspension).

Just go to the Taiwan event that happens every winter if I remember correct and you will hear about 3-5 next big things that will never happen that year.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Or just some sort of clamp on device like those primitive chain tensioner pulleys that were meant to be mounted mid chainstay 15 years ago.

Looks like dimension and Planet X still have some versions of those.