Quantcast

Europe Folks...Need advice

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
My girl and I are planning on spending about 10 days in Europe this summer. Part of the trip we would like to focus on riding in the Alps. Lift assist would be cool, and especially cool would be connecting to other towns etc. via trail. I figured before I started digging into things too deep I'd ask if anyone has recommendations on favorite spots?

Preference would be natural terrain (less flow crap), great views, and anything w/ a cool lunch/beer stop in the middle of the day would be excellent.

One additional detail, we will need proximity to some high quality enduro bike rentals. We sure as hell aren't lugging our evoc bags around Europe. Thanks!

Last edited:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
doesn't really cover off the lift access aspect or big alpine terrain, but a buddy and I spent a week in Finale after Trans-Provence, and that was a fun place too, good atmosphere, food, beach, and a lot of riding in the area. The Italians are way nicer than the French too.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
An itinerary with Portes du Soleil AND Finale is totally doable and would be a great way to go, especially if you're not lugging bikes around, but it depends how much you want to cram in. Very different terrain, lifestyles, etc. PDS has the resorts, lifts, connectivity by trails and lifts, etc. The Finale riding is more natural and you typically want private shuttles, with mid-day meals pre-arranged, etc. Plus Finale can be a pretty romantic place to spend some time with your squeeze when not riding.

It's been a few years but for Finale, these guys have treated us right in the past: https://www.rideonnoli.com/ They can help with lodging, rentals, etc. as well.

But yeah, BuckoW's probably the guy to talk to.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Check out the Lago di Garda region. Right on the edge of the Alps, and I hear the riding is quite good...
If you are into technical, rocky and mostly flowless trails, then yes. It is usually a spring/autumn spot as the weather is nicer and it has the advantage of good italian food.

Other than that, Switzerland is the way to go. @buckoW to the rescue!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Good suggestions everybody.
If you want to ride around here then I would check out,

Bikeparks- in PDS
Morgins - Get in the train and do laps with us
Chatel - same
Morzine - https://www.mtbbeds.com/ Tell Ben and Rich I sent you

Aosta/Pila - https://www.aostavalleyfreeride.com/ Tell Massimo i sent you
Verbier - straight forward and easy to find. Definitely ride all the single tracks outside of the park down to La Chable

Train shuttles
Bex - need someone to show you or follow the locals
Aigle - same
Montreaux - need someone to show you or

Italy- guides aren’t that expensive and it makes everything so much more chill with lots more riding. Driving around in Italy is gnarly enough. Don’t need to do that between laps!
Finale Ligure - kinda blown out imo but still fun
Diano Marina - not blown out
Callizzano - best trails in the region of Finale. Le Giare is a Agrotouristica where you eat 6 course home made meals and get shuttled on gated trails. I liked 5e riding much more than anything in Finale and it is just over the hill.
San Remo - Rocky af and full on if you go quick.

There are a lot of other sweet spots between Finale down to Nice.

@manhattanprjkt83 Hit me up when you come over. When are you thinking?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hey man, thanks again for the suggestions. I think after the alps we are headed down south and didn't even think of finale (woops). I think we will hit up Callizzano on our way towards Sardinia.

Working on dates but it seems like june'ish. Would love some local input when we are there!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Hey man, thanks again for the suggestions. I think after the alps we are headed down south and didn't even think of finale (woops). I think we will hit up Callizzano on our way towards Sardinia.

Working on dates but it seems like june'ish. Would love some local input when we are there!
What do you mean "headed down south"? Tuscany? Rome? Naples? Sicily? :brows:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

You’re welcome!

I haven’t been back there in years so I don’t know if they still guide MTB out of there.

I really enjoyed staying here in Callizzano. If Marco is still there guiding then he is so fun to ride behind. Every meal I had there was memorable. The owner is some sort of Italian Gnome hippy agrotouristica whole food farming aficionado. He is super cool and dresses like a gnome but his thing is above criticism and makes me smile. It´s also out in the woods so if you want to walk around town at night and check things out then this isn’t the spot. We fell asleep early every night because of too much eating and too much riding.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

Are you planning to ride on Sardinia? Super curious about riding there. I have a weird bug where I really want to ride my bike on Islands. No idea where it comes from but it's here to stay.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Are you planning to ride on Sardinia? Super curious about riding there. I have a weird bug where I really want to ride my bike on Islands. No idea where it comes from but it's here to stay.
Wasn't planning on it...Mainly thinking about beach chilling and eating some fine Italian seafood dishes.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Wasn't planning on it...Mainly thinking about beach chilling and eating some fine Italian seafood dishes.
I have some really cheap flights there. To the point driving to the hills Alone would probably cost me around the same $$ as flying there and finding guides so im curious (also yes 2022 prices make no sense)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Alright folks just kind of narrowing down our spots, it looks like we will be in Chamonix June 7-9th ish and was wondering which lift access trails you guys feel are the best? Would like to do some pedaling but just do to time want to maximize our vert. Preferred bike shops for rentals, thinking heavy hitter enduro bikes.

Working on the Italian leg of this right now but def planning on being in Finale later that week, going through your recommendations Buckow!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Jesus I can't believe I didn't think of that, I know better in whistler and it's much higher there. Should I be re-evaluating?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Jesus I can't believe I didn't think of that, I know better in whistler and it's much higher there. Should I be re-evaluating?
I'd think the lower down stuff should be good, esp the south-facing stuff. But you should probably find a local source in Cham to get your finger on the pulse of the snow situation. But srs - maybe hire a guide and rent some skis for a day and head up the Aguille du Midi for a run down the Mer de Glas?

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Alright folks just kind of narrowing down our spots, it looks like we will be in Chamonix June 7-9th ish and was wondering which lift access trails you guys feel are the best? Would like to do some pedaling but just do to time want to maximize our vert. Preferred bike shops for rentals, thinking heavy hitter enduro bikes.

Working on the Italian leg of this right now but def planning on being in Finale later that week, going through your recommendations Buckow!
early june most high alpine stuff is still under snow usually, all other switzerland.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Good suggestions everybody.
If you want to ride around here then I would check out,

Bikeparks- in PDS
Morgins - Get in the train and do laps with us
Chatel - same
Morzine - https://www.mtbbeds.com/ Tell Ben and Rich I sent you

Aosta/Pila - https://www.aostavalleyfreeride.com/ Tell Massimo i sent you
Verbier - straight forward and easy to find. Definitely ride all the single tracks outside of the park down to La Chable

Train shuttles
Bex - need someone to show you or follow the locals
Aigle - same
Montreaux - need someone to show you or

Italy- guides aren’t that expensive and it makes everything so much more chill with lots more riding. Driving around in Italy is gnarly enough. Don’t need to do that between laps!
Finale Ligure - kinda blown out imo but still fun
Diano Marina - not blown out
Callizzano - best trails in the region of Finale. Le Giare is a Agrotouristica where you eat 6 course home made meals and get shuttled on gated trails. I liked 5e riding much more than anything in Finale and it is just over the hill.
San Remo - Rocky af and full on if you go quick.

There are a lot of other sweet spots between Finale down to Nice.

I am going to the Alps in July too. I just tried to send you a PM but for some reason it will not allow me to. Can you try sending me something? (@binary visions do you know why I can not send him a PM?)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I am going to the Alps in July too. I just tried to send you a PM but for some reason it will not allow me to. Can you try sending me something? (@binary visions do you know why I can not send him a PM?)
He's got PMs turned off. He can send them but his preferences are set to not allow anyone to initiate them.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Hi there, a little late to the party :cheers:
If you wanna do the North-South route on the Italian boot, try to squeeze in a bit of Dolomites. The gardena-val di fassa region where the EWS tour stopps, is a lot of fun on the enduro. There's a lot of natural riding to be found.
Also we've got the views. :D

1652902897784.png