Quantcast

Europe Vacation Help

jmartin

Chimp
Oct 19, 2005
If this is in the wrong spot please move it, but the Europe thread is dead. I need to get some ideas of where to spend some bike time next June/July in Europe. I will have 2 separate weeks for riding and will be spending one week in two different areas. I am looking for some downhill areas, the bigger the better. I am already looking into Portes du Soleil and Morzine but want to see if there are any other other well developed parks. Anything in the Italy, France, Germany, Western Europe will work. So where would you go if you could spend a week riding DH in Europe. Thanks!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Morzine and the surrounding areas are unreal. we had an amazing time riding there.
just make sure to check that all the lifts in the area are spinning when you go. we went in June and only a handful of the 20some-odd lifts were operational.

jmartin

Chimp
Oct 19, 2005
Thanks H8. Morzine is in the middle of the Portes du Soleil area isn't it? I am really looking forward to riding there. Anyone else have any must hit ideas that would be worth spending a week at?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Morzine early July is your best bet.

As for the rest of yurp what type of riding do you want to do. If dhish bikeparking contact Ben (buckow) since he also builds outside of the PDS are and he builds the raddest tracks ever.
Also bug the Andorran guys on the forum. They have some serious riding there.
There is also a little cluster of bikeparks around Graz. You have Maribor, Schladming, Wagrain, Semmering. All up to 150km from Graz ( I think less). Maribor is awesome and bug the locals for secret trails. I only know one but it's good for max 3 days if you want to see a lot. Don't go there on mondays though.

PS. A week in PDS morzine is very little for the first time. We were there for 13 days and I think I tried maybe 50-60% of the tracks and we were doing 30-60km/day

Btw. Got another idea - if you have a bike that can be pedaled register for the megaavalanche. It is the raddest thing ever and it's more than one race. There are some side events if I remember right.

The Andorra area offers Vallnord, Gradnvalira & La Molina resorts.
They're quite nice, but are not by any means as large as Les Angles, for example.

If you prefer natural routes, the area around is 100% mountains and it's full of them. As a plus, this is the best time of the year to cycle: perfect temp, improved grip, doesn't rain, and days still last.

Last edited:

jmartin

Chimp
Oct 19, 2005
Norb, I'm looking for bikepark style DH trails. Mega would be awesome but my bike is not fun to pedal... up hills ;) I would like to spend more time in Morzine area but I'm getting free accommodation for a week in two separate places of my choice :) I'm not going to try to push that to 2 weeks in one spot. I have one week figured, Morzine, I just need to figure out where to spend the second.

Oh yeah, and anyone going to be in Europe next summer and want to ride?

Thanks for the info so far. Any other tips are appreciated.