Quantcast

event calendar for all southeast events next year?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
You can do a whole season worth of racing in the Southeast now without having to buy a USAC license, so Sugar would be silly to go back to a Norba format.
I don't see that changing around here either unless USAC brings more to the table to make it worth it. They charge $150 for a pro license to people with no salary.:think:
No thanks.
Quoted again for relevance.

SCHANEWOLF

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
Slalom? Sweet havent ridden since Lindsey Wilson days. time to build a ds rig an get my accident prone son to go ride with me

TheRiddler

Chimp
Aug 23, 2009
FYI,

souther slopes need grass on them to insulate the snow from melting/washing underneath. If you build slalom courses on them, then in the fall you have the shape of a slalom course on the grass. So good luck with that one.
this is a little late but they could do it like wisp and leave the slalom course as is and use it as a layout for a permanent boardercross course in the winter. It would be kinda hard to get the resorts on board with the idea, but sugar and beech are dying out and need something fresh in the winter to keep up with app ski mtn's terrain park onslaught. Hawksnest, on the other hand, is prime territory for a slalom course....mueller....mueller

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Slalom courses just need to be a few roller doubles and a couple berms
and alot of edge to edge turns with speed in between. Sorta "Old New school"
At the end of the season grade it off even and throw some grass seed out,
It can't be much harder than that?
If these local resorts want to have DH racing it only makes sense to put in
a little more effort and bring slalom to the people! There was roughly 100
racers average at the Boone area races this past season. That will grow
next year regardless of slalom but, I know 20 people who'd come to just
race slalom. If the courses are DH bike friendly and fun- at least half the
DH field would race slalom. Nothing too death defying just racing head to head.
Turning and turning on flat and off cambered ruts is mountain biking at it's best.
Plus theres nothing like racing your best buddy mono e mono in front of
everyone, then getting to ride back home in the car together.
I raced these mountains back when both events went down and slalom was
just as rad as Downhill. I want to see these events be successful and slalom
will bring in some more money to help keep the Downhill races going,
promote these places as bike parks and justify lift operation etc. etc.

Last edited:

roperacer

Monkey
Aug 17, 2009
chattanooga tn
the ttc is planning at least 3 dh races and a all weekend party, no dates on the races,but should be starting 2010 with a late winter race,a spring race,and a before fall race, our party will be around july 15th,,that is when we first started building trail this year.and the races will not be on the same date or weekend of any other southern dh race,hopefully the 2010 season will be full of dh racing for the south.

RTaylor

Chimp
Mar 30, 2009
april and may races please.
I think the only race I could offer during april and may at Beech would be an invitational DH snow race:shocked:

It would be awesome to see a snow race, eh? Maybe a few years down the road...

If the early spring weather is abnormally warm, the snow could melt off faster than normal and open up the slopes and I would then entertain the idea of a may race. But, all the runoff goes somewhere...the woods, so it would certainly be a muddy race.

I think the Dirty Bird Boys are experts at mud race promotion. Maybe they could help...

Dudebrah

Chimp
May 18, 2009
I think the Dirty Bird Boys are experts at mud race promotion. Maybe they could help...
We are planning a spring race.

We never plan for the mud, it just likes us so much it followed us home one day. We were all "mom can we keep him!?!?" After that it was easy, schedule race, wait for torrential rain and the trail to turn into peanut butter. Yeah, if you need some mud I know a guy...

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
I hope its that special aerated lightweight mud or all that money I spent trying to keep my bike light is going to go to waste. Ah hell with it Im going to become a roadie

ag7gu

Chimp
Jul 31, 2008
MD
Read this on the Chainsmoke site, so I can’t personally vouch for the information: http://chainsmokeracing.net/index.php?topic=621.0

June 18-20: Snowshoe #1
July 30-Aug 1: Snowshoe #2
August 27-29: Snowshoe #3
October 1-3: Snowshoe #4

There are rumors of the Snowshoe DH races being held on Saturday (with Friday practice), and DS on Sunday. Not set in stone, but it is being seriously considered:

Friday:
Official practice day 10-4
Registration 9am-4pm
(Possible evening movie, happy hour, event or games)

Saturday: (possibly a seeding run for amateur/elite or just elite)
Registration 8am-12
DH Practice 10-2 or 3pm
DH Race Start 3pm
Awards 1hr after event in village
Party!

Sunday:
Dual Slalom Practice 10-11:30
Qualifying 11:30
Race 12
Awards 1hr after event in village

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
the guys here at ETSU are planning a weekend world championships race March 30-31. Saturday will feature downhill, four cross, and slalom. With the top rider of all three combined taking home something special. Sunday will feature a short xc time trial and a short track race most likely. more info to come later along with a flyer.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
the guys here at ETSU are planning a weekend world championships race March 30-31. Saturday will feature downhill, four cross, and slalom. With the top rider of all three combined taking home something special. Sunday will feature a short xc time trial and a short track race most likely. more info to come later along with a flyer.
I look forward to mud, mud and moar mudz!:thumb: Sure you guys can't swing that Buffalo Mtn trail Terry used for the one race??? Oh, the epicness.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
With College Nationals the same weekend as what we were going to pick for Paris Race in 2010, we may be picking an earlier Race Date in the summer. Still up in the air right now. We should be meeting with some big names in the cycling world within the next month to determine the future of that race. It will be a good change that many people in the South would like to see happen. DH, XC, and Super D in 1 weekend event. A big bike festival in Greenville is what we have wanted to make happen. We will try our best to pull it off.

Cecil

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
I look forward to mud, mud and moar mudz!:thumb: Sure you guys can't swing that Buffalo Mtn trail Terry used for the one race??? Oh, the epicness.
We might be able to do something like that on Buffalo Mountain. The only problem with that is getting to the top of the trail. But I will talk to Terry and see what he thinks about doing it again.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Nice work guys! Looks like the scene will be on the up and up this coming season! Does West Virginia count as the southeast?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
oh and Jeremy it was good to finally cross paths with you after all these years! Sorry i was a little spaced out after a night of drinkin and a day of huddling under my rain jacket on the course that day.

ag7gu

Chimp
Jul 31, 2008
MD
Does West Virginia count as the southeast?
I figured it does just because so many of us race at the 'Shoe. Although with them losing so much of their support for the series, I don't know how much longer it will be relevant.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
They're doing their best to become a Whislter of the East, but I think Snowshoe is not going to grow until they eliminate working on both sides of the mountain and only focus on one side and develop a few truly epic trails of A Line proportion.

And they have GOT to do something to bring back the festival atmosphere that it used to have. When you go to a Snowshoe race, it's just such a ghost town in terms of bike related activity. I'd love for them to hold one really grand race weekend with a party theme and ALL of the entertainment actually focused on gravity riders. It's a fantastic place to ride and the crew there do an amazing job.

If I lived closer, I'd ride there all the time. My rims and brakes would hate me...but hey. :D

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
march 30/31 is a tuesday/wednesday? :confused:

roperacer

Monkey
Aug 17, 2009
chattanooga tn
4th of july weekend, the u.s. nationals trials moto championship is at the ttc for 3 days fri, sat, and sunday,morning. sunday afternoon is the mtn bike trials championship.
so that saturday afternoon ttc will have another mtn bike dh race. they plan on not opening up any of the trials section on our side of the cove, so that will leave us with the shuttle road and our trails open, and when it comes race time on sat. we could have over several hundred or even a thousand spectators for the race,, not to mention we would have all kind of stuff to keep us entertained when we are not riding or racing,,this is not 100% for sure yet,, but damn what a fun weekend!

brandonbmx1

Chimp
Nov 11, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Here is a summary so far of races in the southeast this year. Please correct me if I messed anything up.

Feb 27 Clemson DH race

March 19-21 - Santos Fat tire festival

April 10-11 - ETSU World Champs: DH, DS, 4X, TT, ST

June 5-6 - Hawksnest #1 (DH, DS?)

June 12-13 - Beech #1 (DH, DS)

June 18-20: Snowshoe #1 (DH sat, DS sun?)

July 17-18 - Beech #2 (DH, DS)

July 30-Aug 1: Snowshoe #2 (DH sat, DS sun?)

August 14-15 - Beech #3 (DH, DS)

August 21-22 - Hawksnest #2 (DH, DS?)

August 27-29: Snowshoe #3 (DH sat, DS sun?)

September 4-5 - Beech Slopestyle Comp/DS

October 1-3: Snowshoe #4 (DH sat, DS sun?)

October 9 - Beech Oz Fest DH Event

October 30-31 - Hawksnest #3 (DH, DS?)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Here is a summary so far of races in the southeast this year. Please correct me if I messed anything up.

Feb 27 Clemson DH race

Thanks for putting that together.
Are those race dates for Beech and Snowshoe correct?
If so.......damn, this season is gonna rule.
You can add Massanutten to the list as well.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
My only complaint is that used to the month of May was always our best turnout for races and I don't see a one. How come everybody is skipping it? Daylight is great then. Weather is unpredictable. Crowds are big. No competition with summer vacation plans.

OldSkool

Chimp
Nov 4, 2009
Fletcher NC
Oh, last thing. I'm meeting with Orville in about a month. Start blowing them up with offers of support for an event please.
Hey Butch, for those of us not in the know (I might be the only one, don't know), but who is Orville, and where is the venue you are trying to get an event started?

brandonbmx1

Chimp
Nov 11, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Update:

Feb 14 Heartbreaker Super D

Feb 27 Clemson DH race

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Why waste your efforts on norba? What have they done to support the local race scene? At least Ryan has put on 5 races in the last three years. Take that norba.

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
Thanks for putting that together.
Are those race dates for Beech and Snowshoe correct?
If so.......damn, this season is gonna rule.
You can add Massanutten to the list as well.
Paris Mt. DH will be the same weekend it was last, yeah, yeah same weekend as the Collegiate Nationals...again we couldn't get another date from that park.

so Oct 15th pre party/pre ride Oct 16th race..

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Why waste your efforts on norba? What have they done to support the local race scene? At least Ryan has put on 5 races in the last three years. Take that norba.
Yeah, I hear yah. You know I have had the same opinion the last few years.
Just know that the US champs were prob. the best thing Norba - well
the best thing associated with Norba in many years. Only good cause
the Colorado folks are doing the work. Also managing the team this
year and trying to get a couple of the younguns some cred.
I am still on the fence! Never done a WC and that twist the old mans arm too.
Would just be racing 4X not chasing all the BS points etc. for the DH.
Don't know if I am good enough to get any points anyway. But,
would like to do a couple spots on the calendar. Will def. support the NC
scene for the other races if we go to the Champs.
Mainly about the team, we'll see what they want to do.