Quantcast

Ever accomplish a dream.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
This was from a while back but it was my graduation from my JC fire academy. OUt of 36 graduates only 4 so far have gotten jobs. When I tested for Culver City there were close to 1000 applicants, 250 passed the written, 15 Passed the Captain's Interview and went on to the Chief's. 5 got jobs. 4 Passed the training tower. I was one of the 4.

Attachments

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Played any good jokes on anyone yet, or have you had any done to you. If you need some advice in jokes... PM me, my dad was a pro.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
rpk1988 said:
Played any good jokes on anyone yet, or have you had any done to you. If you need some advice in jokes... PM me, my dad was a pro.

Oh hell no....I'm on probation. For the next year they can fire me for any reason. Including a badly played joke, especially coming from a probie. But I got one prepared just in case.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea I was talking about the probation thing. My dad got away with a lot of stuff in his rookie year. But I guess you have to have fun with that job. One thing that seems to happen the most is getting a call during dinner. Every time I visit a fire station, they get a call during dinner. But there sure do make a mean dinner.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Congrats.
Yesterday, a fireman made me look like a total choad.
In my neighborhood, this little girl's cat climbed 40 feet up a tree and was stuck for 3 days. The neighbors came and got me, thinking I could climb the tree and get it down. This tree sucked. It went up and out to the left, and just hung there. There were no branches at all on the right side, and the ones on the left were crap. I decided that it was not possible to climb this tree.
So, they call a fireman, who shows up, leaves his ladder in the truck, climbs up the tree like Tarzan, and gives the little girl her cat back, and they both quit crying. It was great.
People give firemen $hit about getting cats out of trees, but this cat was gonna die up there before it came down. All while a 8 year old was crying and saying that was the last thing her dying uncle gave her.
Anyway, props to firemen.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Thanks all....its a really rewarding career that I still can't believe that I'm getting paid to do. I honestly don't view it as work. Everytime I get a paycheck, I get that suprised feeling when you find a wad of cash in a pocket of a jacket you haven't worn in a long time. Its completely unexpected but very cool. That and there's no better feeling than riding backwards, code 3, with the smell of smoke in the air and a header in the distance.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Sweet! Congrats. Can you ride again now??

Hopefully I'll have a similar thread in about 8 months...looks like I'll get hired by DSS...someday. Damned hiring freezes are screwing up my mojo.

MD

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Not really Mike...nothing serious for about a year. I'm on probation and like I said...they can fire me for any reason...including breaking myself on a bicycle. If you get hired by the DSS...you still gonna be based in Cali?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Sucks...

Dss has big offices in LA and San Fran, and I hope to get to one of these for my first 2-3 year assignment in the States before going abroad. Never know, though...I do figure they'll want to pay as little as possible to move me, however. Too bad the San Diego office has no spots for junior agents.

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
By the way, I have a new custom title for you.

Chinese Fire Drill.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
werd congrats. i would like to be a firefighter, too bad my arm wont let me be one.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
from what I understand...and no insult to firefighters in other states...but California, in general, has the highest paid firefighters in the nation. Probably reflects the higher living standards. So yeah generally the odds are about that high...figure anywhere from 1 out of every 200-400 will get jobs depending on the department. Example Los Angeles County Fire just tested...they had a turn out of about 28000 people take the test. The city I live in, Pasadena, 2000 took the test and from what I understand 15 will be going to their tower.