Quantcast

Ever been hit by lightning while riding?

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/4977570/detail.html

this is about dirt bikes, but, um, ow:

A gold chain and crucifix melted around his neck when a lightning bolt struck Jason Crawford in the head while he and his brother were riding dirt bikes in Gunnison County.
The bolt melted part of his helmet, fractured his skull and left burn scars on his chest and left arm.
Still, Crawford knows it could have been worse. Doctors told him if he hadn't had his helmet on, he would have died. Even with the helmet, it took 30 stitches to close a wound in his head caused by the freak lighting strike.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
it'll only be a matter of time before a mt. biker gets it. Lightning is pretty amazing stuff, you can get hit miles from where the storm is, all that stuff. Whenever i hear thunder rolling in i start heading back.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
:eek: A bolt hit inbetween Splat & berkshire_rider once, they both thought the other got fried. Berk told me he jumped into a ditch to hide

splat

Nam I am
splat on 6/16/2005 said:
well That is what Happeneded to night ! toward the end of our ride , a storm was moving in, the sky was flashing and rumbling and getting closer. we were high tailing it out and I was at the top of the last hill with Csharpdev ( just before the decent home ) and Berkshire_rder and Old&slow were coming up the hill and were about 150 feet from us when a Flash and crack that struck Between us ! Csharpdev and My self grabbed our Bike and rode like hell down that Hill! on to the road , then the heavens opened up with rain and Lightining stikes all around us for the 1/3 mile ride of road home . we made it , and a couple minutes later Old&slow and Berkshire_rider came and Joined us! quite an Ending to a Fun ride! Also proving to us that they were not turned into a Pile of ash. But I'll tell you , if I was n't soaking wet as I was , all my hair would have been standing on end after that Lighting stike ! it was that Close !
I had to go find that

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
splat said:
we all kooda bin sereeusly killed!
I had to go find that
You guys are lucky. Lightning strike survivors sometimes have weird ticks and pain that last a lifetime. So even if you survive a strike it's not fun.
Look at ole Ben Franklin that dude was weird.... :monkey:

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Crazy Sweeper said:
there was this guy on pinkbike who got struck 4 times and survived.....
it's said that statistically you're more likely to be struck again if you've been struck once. i don't really understand how though. maybe it makes your body more conductive or something

Dirt Merchant

Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
Hilton, NY
Posted a couple months ago by me:
Last night my friend and I were trying to beat an approaching storm,
by sneaking a ride in at the local park. As soon as we were deep in the woods, the wind and rain really picked up. Once the lightning started we decided to turn around. We were haulin' down the trail that leads out of the woods and into the clearing, (golf course) and it's access road,
when at the the last second we both slammed on our brakes, afraid to go out into the openness. Two seconds later, in that same opening where we would've been, lightning struck! It blinded us and rung our ears, and my friend felt the hair on his body stand-up! It was as if it was following us down that trail, just waiting for the opening to destroy us. We threw down our bikes, (read: freaked out) rushed back in the woods, and layed on the muddy ground in the pouring rain for at least 15 mins.. When it let up, (not really) we made a dash for the relative safety of the truck; I looked back once, and swear I saw another rider behind us! They never appeared at the trailhead:
was it a ghost? Or were they maybe struck down? Was it anyone here?

Dirt Merchant

Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
Hilton, NY
"...was it the white lady ?"

No, she only messes with guys that have wronged women. Wait a minute, maybe it WAS she!? (This was over by the back entrance to the water purification plant...yes, by Durand) It actually looked like a dude, dressed mostly in yellow. I couldn't believe somebody else was as stupid as we
were that evening.