Quantcast

Ever get one of those parts that are so sick they make you wanna puke?

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by DirtEveryDay, Nov 18, 2005.

1. DirtEveryDay

DirtEveryDay Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 4
    Check this out. This is one of those parts. Another beautiful creation by my boy, Eric, over at Deity Components... This thing should be in an adult "toy" store! All leather and vinyl...so sexy.

www.deitycomponents.com

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Sir_Crackien

Sir_Crackien Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    ok i'm going to be the first jerk (man i hate being that).

so?!? i really don't get the bmx seat on a fr bike

sorry

3. DirtEveryDay

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 4
    ??? Do you RIDE your bike? Geez man, it seems like everything I do that damn seats in the way. I do lots of trail stuff, so they're out of the way on steep ridedowns, etc, jumping is easier without the big seat horn in the way, I don't land hucks on my ass, and urban is the sh_t in between all that. So, other than being pimp as hell, it's all about function. Not much pisses me off more than having a damn seat horn stuck in the back of your pants or in a pocket if you get a little out of shape!
    In a sentence: I like small seats, they allow more manueverability.

4. DirtEveryDay

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 4
    Oh, and actually, it's NOT a BMX seat. It is a mountain bike company.

5. lanman

lanman Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0

AHAHAHAh are you frigging kidding me? Just because it's made by X company doesn't mean it can't have the same proportions and style as any other BMX seat (the design was clearly influenced by a BMX seat), granted it looks like a nice seat. Seems more suited to park/trails type riding then freeride I would have to agree. But it looks really nicely constructed and I like the white contrast

In addition, go to Danscomp and look at nearly EVERY SINGLE saddle on that site, they will have similar shape and use 8mm chro-mo rails which is standard for BMX....again I'm not knocking the saddle, looks sick, just don't make stupid comments about the product of a company whom you are supporting....

6. DirtEveryDay

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 4
    FUKIN DUH! I'm SURE it resembles a BMX seat, there's only so many ways you can make a seat!
    All I was saying is that since it originates from a mtn bike oriented company, it means I'm not the first person on the planet to run a BMX style seat which Sir Crackien seamed a little baffled at. Christ...is it just me or is this place getting full of stupid? Now get off my thread, you're the only one who's made a stupid comment here.

7. wydopen

wydopen Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 60
    looks like a heavy turd 2 me

8. kinghami3

kinghami3 Future Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Pay no attention to these morons. Do what works best for you. Sick looking seat. Did he (Eric) make it specifically for you?

9. DirtEveryDay

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 4

As cool as that would be, no he made a bunch I'm sure!

No. it's not that heavy, especially considering there's things like the Azonic Lounge seat out there! Actually, it's pretty light. I didn't look at the pics before I started this post, but I THINK I posted a shot of the belly of it? Maybe not, but the whole seat's only like an inch thick, with a burly nose(nothing to stab you in the back if you blow pedals) and tail section.
    Besides, we're not whiny racers crying over 2 grams. Freeride bikes are meant to be burly machines of mayhem, right? I'm pretty stoked over it, I just stuck a new DJ seat on my rig and the thing is just too damn big. Feels like I'm sitting on a turtle.

More than likely, this is built by a company already building something for the BMXers, but you HAVE to see this thing in person. I'm 32 and never seen a finish like this. The lettering is not painted/dyed on, its pressed into the seat. So, when I get done riding, I'll be able to walk around naked with "Deity" stamped upside down on my ass! How's that for an image...

10. motomike

motomike Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    I really like the seat. Thanks for posting it.

11. GumbaFish

GumbaFish Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Why the heck do people care what seat somebody else runs. Its a cool looking seat, he likes the way it feels thats it. No need to be a jerk about it.

12. punkassean

punkassean Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Just got those in stock at the shop as well as most of the rest of the Deity line. Sweet parts for great prices! Their clothing is sick too.

13. DirtEveryDay

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 4

Well, actually, I have no idea how it feels yet. Sitting on it on the couch while watching bike vids just doesn't seem to cut it!

As far as their clothing line, I WANT that new camo trucker!!! Do you have them in the shop? If so, are they tall on top, or kinda laid down?? I've got a little head and look like a friggin tard in truckers...

14. Sir_Crackien

Sir_Crackien Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    just to let you know i don't a seat with a long horn at all. i ride a selle italia flite. small, light, doesn't break, and damn comfy to! i don't want to hear you seat that is not a bmx seat just because the company is a mountian company! look at just about ever product they make. they all could be on a bmx bike. they all use bmx philosiphy! i'm not saying it a bad seat! just doesn't belong on a fr/dh bike. also thier stuff is really gear toward the street seen where the bike are just over grown bmx bikes!

15. DirtEveryDay

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 4
    Just shut up.

16. motomike

motomike Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    dude I'm with you on that one.

17. punkassean

punkassean Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    I actually picked up a camo hat at the show from their booth and it's super low pro, not tall at all. I like it so much I brought a few in at the shop as well.

18. DirtEveryDay

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 4
    Can't post a real pic, could you? Not worth it if it's a big PITA, just wondering if you might have already had one...

19. formermtboarder

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    thjat deity stuff is so sick, id really like a bar/stem set of theirs, anyone know anything about it?

20. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    180 / 1,326
    does deity actually make their parts, or are they another catalog business?

21. -dustin

-dustin boring

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    i second this. i'd like to see a picture of the cap.

22. -dustin

-dustin boring

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    oh man, there was a ****fest a while ago on HCOR about this....

23. H8R

H8R Cranky Pants

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 4
    Bike parts are like batteries, there are maybe 3 or 4 factories in the world that make all the parts.

:D

24. punkassean

punkassean Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    They don't "make" their parts but they do specify the design etc. For instance their bars are made from a different alloy than most bars. The material was chosen because it will bend rather than break like 7075 bars. Also their sprocket is available with a splined interface that better aligns the chain (no "high" and "low" spot) compared to standard bolt-on sprockets for BMX type cranks. The list goes on and on....

Basically they are a modern company in that they outsource their production but are also VERY stringent regarding the design and quality of the final product. They don't just make products for the sake of making products, they make products that are better than the competition at a similar price and also have a distinct appearance. Most importantly they are great people who love the bike industry and realize the rewards of running a solid business.

From a shop perspective, Deity stands out because they have a simple, quality product line that catches peoples eyes and their pricing is very reasonable with great margins. Plus they have nice tees and hats which is always a bonus when your shop is located on the main drag in super touristy Santa Barbara.

25. punkassean

punkassean Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
  26. DirtEveryDay

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 4
    Yep, I have the new white 31.8 bars now(I like them so much I blasted my Yeti and I'm powder coating it to match!). I also had the Bar/stem combo on my Evil and that stuff is S I C K. The only thing as pimp as their products is the packaging the sick products come in! Insane. Hell, even their catalogs are drool-worthy! They come in this wicked tinted film....
    One thing to note, and they probably changed this by now, is that if you buy a crankset(had the white set on my Evil as well) try to get all of the powdercoating out of the splines BEFORE you press them onto the spindle!!! Clearances are tight enough, that pretty much assures they won't fall off any time soon! Not a big issue, just note-worthy. And their bars DO, in fact, run tighter clearances for better grip attachment than all the others! Ever gotten a set of cheap bars that the lock-on clamps are actually too big to use on??? That'll piss ya' off!

And for what it's worth, I have a new-in-package black 38t sprocket I need to sell asap!

27. ito

ito Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Your saddle sucks.

:p

I'm not a big fan of the style, but the Deity folks are rad and they seem to be making a fairly nice product for the dirt jump/urban crowd. The whole marshmallow white powdercoat is pretty cool even if I wouldn't run it on my bike.

The Ito

28. DirtEveryDay

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 4
    It's actually more of a whipped cream white....get it straight:eviltongu !

29. DirtEveryDay

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 4
    Oh! And dude, if you think that white may be too much...you are going to LOVE my yeti when it's done!!! Stay tuned, you can bitch about it all you want, can't hurt my feeling!

30. shootr

shootr Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Pot calls kettle black.....

Dood, why are you running a roadie seat on your mountain bike.
    Clearly your selle italia is from a roadie "philosiphy" (sic).... and therefore it doesn't belong on a DH/FR Mountain bike.
    Selle italia's stuff is really geared towards the "spankex" scene where people only ride on smooth pavement

31. DirtEveryDay

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 4
    Word. :thumb:

32. fattyfat1

fattyfat1 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    selle italia seats belong on a freeride bike about as much as a set of roadie bars and panniers do. land an air big enough and that selle italia will be stuffed up your ass!

33. Muuqi

Muuqi Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Dude why do you care soo much about what genre of biking influences what product. All it comes down to is a person's personal preferences. For one person it's perfect, for another it's overkill. I swear, everyone on here is a f***ing biased hater. Freeriders make fun of roadies make fun of mountainbikers make fun of jibbers make fun of shuttle sluts. . .why doesn't anyone realize we all are in it for the same love of pedaling a bike.

34. jasonw111

jasonw111 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    i dont like it

35. fattyfat1

fattyfat1 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    lighten up man! this thread is no fun if you can't flip a little crap. it's all in jest anyways, if you can't handle it, take your hippie ass "can't everybody just get along , unicorns and rainbows" crap to the lounge or pacific northwest forums

36. Muuqi

Muuqi Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Ha ha ha ha. "Unicorns and rainbows." I dunno what sorta hippies you got up in Kelso. . .

37. ioscope

ioscope Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Uggo McFugly

38. fattyfat1

fattyfat1 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    see. now isn't that more fun? i got the unicorns and rainbows from the oregon country fair....... you ever been to that thing? holy crap! talk about hippie fest. good times though.

39. Muuqi

Muuqi Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Nope can't say that I've gone, but I've heard it's awesome. The Ashland County Fair was cool. . .sorta.

40. dexter

dexter Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 29
    deity is probably the coolest and easiest company to deal with in my entire biking career. eric kicks total ass and stands behind his products 100%. last season on my street bike i was going through protapers, holzfellers and ea 50's and 70's on a 2 week basis. i have bent one pair of the old deity bars this year and that was due to the bike falling off my 4runner going 75 and it barely bent them. the cranks on all 3 bikes have never come loose and weight nothing witha ti bb. the seat is super super light for its size, the foam they use is like specialized's in that its super light and very poreous (sp?) the trucker hat is uber bad ass and all my non biking friends want one