Quantcast

Ever had your debit card # lifted in B.C.?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest' started by Str8OutaBallard, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Str8OutaBallard

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I used my debit card 1 time in BC last time (last weekend of Whistler)... @the Taco Del Mar in Squamish...

I noticed 2 nights ago that I have charges to pay BC Hydro and Clarks cable of Alberta?...

good thing BofA is giving me my $$$ back... I'd be really pissed being that I broke my collar bone that weekend...

watch out with your CC/Debit #'s...

Please register to disable this ad.

2. SuperSlow

SuperSlow Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    ****ty i feel ya on the collarbone..... my buddy had 1000$ put on his debt card, and the only place he used it was a garb bike and bean

3. oly

oly skin cooker for the hive

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    never thought to look..... I use my card everywhere too.....

4. Snacks

Snacks Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    There's a Taco Del Mar in Squamish? I love them :love:

5. Tenchiro

Tenchiro Attention K Mart Shoppers

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    You should try to get the account info for the two services and pay the guy a little visit. :devil:

6. -dustin

-dustin boring

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 1
    how was your number jacked?

i'm with oly. use my credit/ debit all the time.

7. buildyourown

buildyourown Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Havent you noticed that you cc number is printed on the receipt. In the US they blank it out but it is printed in full on Canadian reciepts.
    I've been doing the cash only system and it's been working well.
    You'll get a better deal if you go to your bank before you leave. The ATM in canada will charge you.

8. -dustin

-dustin boring

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 1
    never noticed my whole number being on the receipt in Canada. good thing i wasn't there too long.

9. kinghami3

kinghami3 Future Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    ha, I was going to ask the same thing.

10. geargrrl

geargrrl Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    plus many banks charge a currency conversion fee

11. Certified Drunk

Certified Drunk SVT-Lightning

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    If you ever noticed the cc slips in Canada have your whole account number on them.
    1234 5678 9012 3456 ex 01/00
    In the USA its
    XXXX XXXX XXXX 1234 ex 01/00

12. AZRacerX

AZRacerX Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I use my debit card all the time at Jack in the Box under the following scary conditions:

1. My card is not signed on the back.
    2. Number 1 doesn't matter because they don't make me sign anything when I use it.
    3. I don't have to enter my pin number.

So how the hell do they know it is my card? Scary...

13. Str8OutaBallard

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    In the past I have noticed that many reciepts in BC have your whole accnt #... that's why I use my Credit Card (because you have 2 months to dispute a charge against your accnt)...

one time I lost my wallet w/a C-note or two when I was a teenager... and since then I quit carrying cash... and that was in the mid '80s...

I met up at T.D.M. w/some other friends driving in another truck and didn't think to use my CC...

I have the reciept in my hand rite now (I save all of my reciepts in my wallet and shred them every week or so...) the reciept dosn't have the accnt number on it... it does have my signature though (which I think is worse)...

if they got my info at that T.D.M. then they must have had a data logger on the Atm machine... or what-have-you... for all I know they might have got it here in the States...

who ever would pay thier utility bill and cable bill w/a stolen accnt number I just would pitty their stupidity anyways...

if BofA wouldn't give me my $ back I would drop them like a hot rock... but they used to be Seafirst... which is who I sign up with... anyways...

just wondering if this has happend to anybody else... I'm just thankfull that I have vacation time to burn (for my broken Clavicle) and BofA to put my $$ back in my accnt...

14. Str8OutaBallard

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    there are T.D.M's in BC as well as all of the western states... even in Cal... it's a franchise

15. boostindoubles

boostindoubles Nacho Libre

Rep/Likes:
    125 / 1,449
    i think people who are growing pot

16. MUTOLI

MUTOLI Air Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    My story is a little different but involves my debit card along with credit cards and drivers license being stolen while in Canada. Our truck got broken into while at a BMX race in Abbotsford and the person who stole it racked up almost $2000 in one night between gas stations and a liquor store (over $600 at the liquor store). I know we could have caught them from surveillance cameras easy from the liquor store but the police never did anything. I got my money back but it was a pain in the a**. I hate thieves!!! :eviltongu
    *Thankfully they didn't ask for my id crossing back over into the US! :rolleyes:

17. geargrrl

geargrrl Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    here's a little tidbit I learned the hard way when all my cards were stolen a couple of summers ago:
    If you have any major department store cards ( macy's etc) , you can ask the credit dept of that store to put a "check ID" prompt on the account. This means that anyone using the card (including you) will be asked to show photo ID at the register before the transaction is processed.
    They don't tell you they offer this service - I found out AFTER the meth freaks ran up $2500 worth of purchases at Northtown, and had to shut down all my accounts. Checking ID, that is the surest way to prevent card fraud, but hardly anyone does it.

geargrrl

18. Snacks

Snacks Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Ouch dude! When did that happen? :mumble:

19. MUTOLI

MUTOLI Air Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Last year.

20. BillT

BillT Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    For purchases under $50, stores are not required to (however some/many do) obtain a signature.

21. MUTOLI

MUTOLI Air Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    There were at least 25-35 transactions done on my cards and not one of them checked for Id or my signature otherwise they would have known it was stolen. Almost every transaction was over $50. Don't people get carded for alcohol in Canada???

22. rudyhucks-table

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    I agree most canadians are a bunch of morons. They usually compare thier IQ's using their hands at parties (NOTE: usually holding a beer in at least one hand)

23. benbmx

benbmx Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I wish everyone knew how I felt about Candians. Bunch of dirtbags!! Everyone who rides a bike has a story about some Canadians stealing from them!!!
    I guess we should all just pay them with weed and cut out the middleman.

24. vibiker

vibiker Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Not just B.C.

If T.D.M. or another other establishment uses a wireless point-of-sale terminal, anyone with a wireless "sniffer" can capture your CC #.
    Wireless POS machines send the information to a central point within the business in clear (unencrypted) text. A customer can just sit and enjoy his meal and collect some data. :nuts:

25. Str8OutaBallard

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I read about this in Wired Mag...

26. vibiker

vibiker Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Along these lines. It has never happened to me, but where the SOBs break into your vehicle with very little trace and then lift just ONE of your CCs. Thus going undetected for a day or two.

27. MUTOLI

MUTOLI Air Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Yes, that is the same thing they did with us. I didn't realize it until we were crossing back over when I went to pull out my id. They moved my cards around so it didn't look like anything was missing!!! :mumble: We used my husbands debit card that trip so I didn't have to carry my purse around! Bad mistake on my part!

28. oly

oly skin cooker for the hive

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Southpark said it best..... BLAME CANADA!!....

That is untill you all want to ride the good trails then canada is all your best friend and stuff.....