Quantcast

Ever have trouble finding that perfect bike?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I've been wanting to get a new bike this year but I just can't seem to find something I'm interested in buying. Our local shops don't seem to be stocking as much high end stuff this year (recession?), which makes shopping difficult as we are 3 hours from a major city. Factors in my indecision:

• Lack of high end stuff to check out in the local market
  • If there is high end avaialble, it's usually in the form of frames and I'd like to test ride one. Sizing can be tricky for me.
  • Bikes from major manufacturers are ugly and boring (I just don't like the lates paint/graphics from the big boys).
  • Can't decide whether it would be fun to get a hardtail again.
  • Can't decide whether I really want another wheel size in the 29er. Something to be said for being able to swap wheels among bikes.
  • Can't decide if a longer travel bike would be fun.
  • Still love my Maverick, just have that itch for something new.
  • Don't have the patience to wait three months for something custom.

I'd love one of these:

http://jonesbikes.com/production_framesets.html

But they are REALLY expensive! That is the highest form of bike art right there. Anyone who was at the NAHBS knows they stole the show :drool:

Anyone else have links, photos of some really spectacular bikes I can't live without :D

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
What kind of riding do you mainly do, yes all mountain, but are you doing the gnar downhill when your going down or is it the flowy single track where a lower bottom bracket would help out allot. I know this is one of the ugly big guys but my blur 4x is really a nice all around bike. Low bottom bracket, slack head tube, I really like the VPP but everyone has their own linkage preference.

Last edited:

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
What kind of riding do you mainly do, yes all mountain, but are you doing the gnar downhill when your going down or is it the flowy single track where a lower bottom bracket would help out allot. I know this is one of the ugly big guys but my blur 4x is really a nice all around bike. Low bottom bracket, slack head tube, I really like the VPP but everyone has their own linkage preference. If your looking for hard tail and want a bike that is just god damn sexy check out nemesis project, forget all about what the kids say about him in the dj forums, brad makes the best quality bikes (IMO) If you haven't seen any of his work you are really in for a treat. If I'm not mistaken Brad has made a 29 frame, but what I'm talking about is that his frames are steel so theres a little bit of flex which is really nice to have. Also his paint jobs are out of this world, my blood red paint job is translucent so you can see all of the welds while having this amazing red pop out at you. Sorry for kind of advertising but thats what I've found through my experiences. Hope this helps you out, pm me for Brads info.
I like the Santa Cuz bikes, don't think they are ugly. Not really one of the big guys either.

I'm not going to have a debate about it in this thread, but I think it's pretty clear that Nemesis had grossly mismanaged their business and Brad's evasive and self righteous posts on the matter have not helped. If he owned up to ****ing up, I might have some sympathy. I also never bought his elaborately crafted post where he "finally went down to the storage unit" to take photos of "the bike that has been done for months" but that he just "didn't have access to". A lot of people bought that nonsense but I thought it was pretty transparent. And definitely shady.

That said, if you would like to have yet more debate on Nemesis bikes, please start a new thread somewhere else. All further discussion of Nemesis in this thread will be deleted. And I'm not going to debate it via PM either so please practice restraint.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
O0f, those Wolfhound bikes are sexy! I'd like to go down there and check those out. I'm not aware of any builders in Bend. There have been some in the past but I don't know if they are active.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
why get a new bike if you're not psyched about any particular one?

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
why get a new bike if you're not psyched about any particular one?
Well, I like bikes and I haven't had a new one for a couple of years. I'd like to get a new one, just looking for the right one.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Or...............how about a MonkeyButt from Ted!?
After much consideration, I have decided that I'm not going to do the 29er thing. Also, if I get something custom I think I would like to work with someone a little closer to home.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Anything cool to test ride/demo down at Webcyclery?
Well yes and no. They have cool stuff but most of it is not built. Moots have some great bikes but I am unsure on what size to get and don't have an opportunity to ride them first. They do have some Ellsworth demo bikes I was thinking about trying, even the 29er version. Maybe I'll change my mind on that if I try it.

Regarding Ellsworth - anyone out there have any actual reasons not to buy them other than the silly e-rumor-speculation that has floated around the Internet for years?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Regarding Ellsworth - anyone out there have any actual reasons not to buy them other than the silly e-rumor-speculation that has floated around the Internet for years?
One of my teammates rode on a team sponsored by Ellsworth and he broke 2 or 3 of their hardtail frames during the course of a season; the reason was that they used the same rear triangle on all of their frames and on the large the seatpost/seatube had enough leverage to crack the frame just above the weld. May or may not have been corrected, this was a couple of years ago

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
What about one of those new Pivot Mach 4s or Mach 5s?

Or what about an Ibis Mojo!???
What's the story on those Pivots? I saw one in a shop and it looked nice but I have never even heard of it. Are those US made frames?

Not a fan of the Ibis - kinda fugly IMO. I'm also not a fan of bike companies that were really great small builders on the cutting edge - then later get bought up and just become design houses for overseas built stuff. Just no soul in that IMO.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I don't think Ibis is done overseas.

Pivots are the combination of Chris Cocalis of Titus and Dave Weagle of dw_link fame. Also a regular on the Monkey in the DH Forum. They feature some cool shiz like the press in bb bearings (not sure of formal name - bb30 or something like that). I'm not sure if the Pivots are made in the US or not, they might be.

http://www.pivotcycles.com/tech.php

http://www.pivotcycles.com/mach5.php

Are Ellsworth frames built in the US? Do some digging on Ellsworth and his ICT patent and what he did to Dave Turner and then see if you want to ride an Ellsworth.....

Last edited:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
speaking of that........how about a Turner or maybe a Ventana - both would fit your bill of small companies with US production and they both offer several models. Heck be crazy and order up a Ventana El Bastardo and run some new 650b wheels/tires on it! :)

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
With fuel prices out of control, the economy in the ****ter, and the US bike industry not what it used to be, I am trying to be more proactive in making educated purchase decisions so that I am supporting local/regional/us-based builders as much as possible. I'd like to see the return of a strong US-based bike manufacturing scene.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
With fuel prices out of control, the economy in the ****ter, and the US bike industry not what it used to be, I am trying to be more proactive in making educated purchase decisions so that I am supporting local/regional/us-based builders as much as possible. I'd like to see the return of a strong US-based bike manufacturing scene.
That's very cool IMO.

Give Ventana a call. When you call there you either talk to Theresa who's super friendly and helpful, or she'll put you right through to Sherwood Gibson, the designer, builder.

Probably something very similar with Turner too I suspect.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
What about a Sycip Double Dribble?

Or maybe this?

Sans the Marzocchi fork in your case! Maybe with a Rockshox Lyric in front or something along those lines???

Can you guess who built it?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The new yet to be named Intense frame looks pretty cool.
It has a name now. Tracer VP.....which is what I submitted into the contest:biggrin:

I haven't been contacted, and I imagine a lot of others suggested the same name too. I can hope though :)

I'm on my third Intense now (6.6)
I had an M1 and a Tracer before this. All of them rode awesome, had amazing build quality.

I did crack the HT on the M1, and it took 5 months to warranty, but the M1 was already out of production I was stoked they even took care of me!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
It has a name now. Tracer VP.....which is what I submitted into the contest:biggrin:

I haven't been contacted, and I imagine a lot of others suggested the same name too. I can hope though :)

I'm on my third Intense now (6.6)
I had an M1 and a Tracer before this. All of them rode awesome, had amazing build quality.

I did crack the HT on the M1, and it took 5 months to warranty, but the M1 was already out of production I was stoked they even took care of me!
I submitted the name Tracer Trail!

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
What kind of wheels are on that new Intense? That thing is pretty sweet.....