Quantcast

Ever Play the Brake Check game?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Are you ever riding along with your buddies, and then ride up close to one and push in their brake lever?

Well, we do that all the time, and last night, I got someone the best I have ever gotten them. He actually fell OFF the bike! It was frikkin HILARIOUS!

Just thought I'd share what an asshole I am :D

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I saw that game being played and it got nasty. It was during the RM-Fest in Pisgah and someone ended up going off the side of the road and down the side of the mountain at least 20 feet head over tea-kettle. After everyone realized he was ok, the laughing ensued.

Personally if I am on the riders left, I'll reach for the front derailur shifter and throw that sucker in the granny gear

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
If you tried that $hit with the group I ride with you'd likely pull back a bloody stump after reaching for the lever. :mad:
so the group you ride w/ is as humorless as you?

story checks out.

J

JRB

Once a guy jerked the rein on a colt I was riding and she flipped over backwards with me. He laughed. Sure it was funny for him until he left the roping box and I caught him. It was less funny to him that he got ripped off of his horse at a dead run. I prefer to be left alone, and to leave others alone, but that's just me.

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
If the group he rides with allows him out in those hot pants riding shorts he wears, then they have to be a pretty humorous group....
ahhahahaha :stupid:

*your best post in a long while

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
loco said:
Once a guy jerked the rein on a colt I was riding and she flipped over backwards with me. He laughed. Sure it was funny for him until he left the roping box and I caught him. It was less funny to him that he got ripped off of his horse at a dead run. I prefer to be left alone, and to leave others alone, but that's just me.
So did you lassoo him or somethin? That's not funny that he made your horse flip over...what a dick...

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
So did you lassoo him or somethin? That's not funny that he made your horse flip over...what a dick...
yes - and no it wasn't.

J

JRB

binary visions said:
I know I haven't been posting as much, but since when is your custom title "Pvssy"?
I "might" have called a "few" people pvssy one day. :think:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I thought you were talking about brake checking in a car. Like when some moron is tailgating me and I slam on the brakes, downshift and take off, forcing the idiot behind me to hit his brakes and freak out. It's been very effective on the mean streets/freeways of L.A.

I've never been much of a bike brake checker. I would rather come up behind them and buzz the rear tire.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
AnotherMike said:
I thought you were talking about brake checking in a car. Like when some moron is tailgating me and I slam on the brakes
This is extremely hazardous to your own well being. Much safer is to hit the gas and gently push the brake pedal so the brake lights come on but you don't slow down. Just as effective, and the moron is much less likely to ass-pack you. :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
So what's the point of this game again? :confused:
just F'ing around. the bit about downshifting the front ring to granny is a good one too, as is grabbing the jersey from behind.

some of my friends are also "chinese downhill" fans, where you bang elbows, shove, etc when riding side-by-side, but one douchenozzle likes to do it w/o warning and ended up breaking a guy's finger once. i'm not a fan of that nonsense.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:
just F'ing around. the bit about downshifting the front ring to granny is a good one too, as is grabbing the jersey from behind.

some of my friends are also "chinese downhill" fans, where you bang elbows, shove, etc when riding side-by-side, but one douchenozzle likes to do it w/o warning and ended up breaking a guy's finger once. i'm not a fan of that nonsense.
Such nonsense and tomfoolery will not be had by narlus!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
BigMike said:
Are you ever riding along with your buddies, and then ride up close to one and push in their brake lever?

Well, we do that all the time, and last night, I got someone the best I have ever gotten them. He actually fell OFF the bike! It was frikkin HILARIOUS!

Just thought I'd share what an asshole I am :D
My husband and I used to do this all the time (he's nicer now that I am pregnant ;) ) We have also been known to push each other off the trail, throw elbows, etc. We have lots of fun!!!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
The best time to do it is after a nice long street ride. Richmond is build on a few realllly big hills, and our street rides always take us all the way down, and then at the end, we climb back up on our big bikes :dead:

So at the end of a ride, on a nice long climb when everyone is tired, ride up next to a buddy, squeeze their brakes, and keep going. Then they can't catch up to you :blah:

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Another good one that 'usually' won't cause injury is to ride up beside someone wearing a camelback and unbuckle one side of it. It will fly around to the other side if not completely off the other side. Always forces the person to stop and put it back on.

And on that note the other good camelback trick was to ride up along side and pull off the person's mouthpiece from the dangling tube. Sounds kinky, but dont worry. Water ensues. Might not work as well with newer systems.

Ok, you can always go up behind someone, and when they stand to sprint, give the underside of the back of their saddle a little 'tap' up. This, in conjunction with their momentum standing, should throw them over the handlebars. Prepare to get hurt from this one assuming they don't end up in the hospital. :devil:

loco said:
:stupid:

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
I appreciate the juvenile humor of this, but if I get hurt, I'm suing...

For the same reason, I wouldn't do it to anyone else I know...

I gotta admit that i'm guilty of tapping a riding partner brake when we're climbing so that they stall out or whatever and that way no one is going to flip OTB .
Usually it provokes a good chase for sh1ts and giggles....
Juevenile yes but i would only do it to someone i know pretty good.