Quantcast

Ever seen a line of motorcycles 3/4 of a mile long?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA

The fence line is 1 mile long,and I lined the bikes up Hbar to Hbar and walked all the way back to camp (at the other side of the 1 mile fence line) What was even more intimidating was the walk back to my bike....it took a while.

It was amazing how long the line was.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA

Bikes off and heading XC to the "Smoke Bomb" a burn barrell with the local fire department to put it out. We also had two huge American flags showing the racers the way to the gate in the fence to go through.

Always exciting to watch.

Rhino

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Oh yeah . . .
Well this one wasn't as long (there were only 400 or so of us), but despite the bad scan, you can see riders to the horizon in the dust. This was the Moses Lake 100, 1970. Somehow I often managed to get in the Times shots of the desert races (circle).

From my very yellowed scrapbook that my mom made for me.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
MinorThreat said:
Oh yeah . . .
Well this one wasn't as long (there were only 400 or so of us), but despite the bad scan, you can see riders to the horizon in the dust. This was the Moses Lake 100, 1970. Somehow I often managed to get in the Times shots of the desert races (circle).

From my very yellowed scrapbook that my mom made for me.
Sweet!

BTW I see some familiar names in that article.

Ken Habeck (I posted about running down the sand hill named after him in Mattawa (actually just outside Beverly, WA)

Is that Supposed to be Bill Binkley (spelt Binckler in the article) His son Billy raced motorcross/Supercross for a little while on the curcuit as a privateer, but Bill Sr and Rich Binckly have been racing forever and rich is an old desert dog. He still in the top20 at the Desert 100 when he enters....His daughter was racing this year and he rode support (sat at the river crossing with us)

Rhino

PS- How in the hell do you know that is you in that picture? :D

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
RhinofromWA said:
Sweet!

BTW I see some familiar names in that article.

Ken Habeck (I posted about running down the sand hill named after him in Mattawa (actually just outside Beverly, WA)

Is that Supposed to be Bill Binkley (spelt Binckler in the article) His son Billy raced motorcross/Supercross for a little while on the curcuit as a privateer, but Bill Sr and Rich Binckly have been racing forever and rich is an old desert dog. He still in the top20 at the Desert 100 when he enters....His daughter was racing this year and he rode support (sat at the river crossing with us)

Rhino

PS- How in the hell do you know that is you in that picture? :D
Glad you liked that. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be Bill Binkley. He and Billy are great guys.
BTW, In my same scrapbook I have a list of results from a Stumpjumpers MX from Feb. 22, 1970 and there's Bill in second in the Open class on a Maico followed by another Maico pilot in third, named (drum roll...) Randy Skiver. :D

And how did I know it was me? Well, I recognized that twin cylinder Honda (175 Scrambler I think) with the flattraking seat tail and knew I was near it. Then I saw the distinctive (at the time) Van Tech tank and thought, "Hey that's me" with my full face shield, razzoo metalflake helmet and the T-shirt with the sweatshirt sleeves underneath :)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
MinorThreat said:
And how did I know it was me? Well, I recognized that twin cylinder Honda (175 Scrambler I think) with the flattraking seat tail and knew I was near it. Then I saw the distinctive (at the time) Van Tech tank and thought, "Hey that's me" with my full face shield, razzoo metalflake helmet and the T-shirt with the sweatshirt sleeves underneath :)
Haha i bet you were great at those Where's Waldo pictures.:rofl: ;)

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
RhinofromWA said:

The fence line is 1 mile long,and I lined the bikes up Hbar to Hbar and walked all the way back to camp (at the other side of the 1 mile fence line) What was even more intimidating was the walk back to my bike....it took a while.

It was amazing how long the line was.
Whoa knargly start eh? Anybody crash at the start cause of all the people?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
cove rider said:
Whoa knargly start eh? Anybody crash at the start cause of all the people?
Bikers usualy sort them selves out...

it is the "ghost rocks" that get you.

They will put you on your head faster than you can blink.