Quantcast

Everyone seems to be getting injured...

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
And now it's my turn to put away the bike for a while. After crashing at the DJ Park last week, being told that it was just a bad bruise, then getting called back to the doctor a week later to learn that there is a tiny bone chip in my left wrist - just when I was getting back to using it (it felt fine) they say to immobilize it and not use it too much. :( Four to six weeks??

Of couse I'm still gonna ride to work just to keep my legs in good strength. :cool:

GlennG

Chimp
Mar 23, 2005
Forks, WA
Sorry to hear. I am dieing for next Thursday to roll around. I have my final doc appt. and I should be able to shune the body brace I have been wearing for twelve weeks. My legs are shot and it is going to hurt to get them back but it will be fun.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
That's why you don't go to the doctor, if you don't know it can't hurt you, right? I crashed up on Galby about a week and half ago and went head first into a tree. I destroyed my helmet and really wracked my neck, I could barely move my head for two days. I probably should of gone to the ER and gotten x-rays but the pain is almost gone now and I can start riding again. Now if I'd gone to the doctor I probably would of been told to stay off the bike for way longer than I wanted to.

Oh and before everyone berates me, I'm just being sarcastic. You should always go to the doctor unless you're stupid like me and just believe, if it doesn't kill you, it just makes you stronger.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
I've had a few nasty bails on two tabletops on Freight Train...have the scrapes as memories but nothing more thanks to my armor. I tell you, a full face helmet might be the best piece of equipment I've purchased for any sport ever.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
There's no doubt that progression comes at a certain cost. This is why I believe the true sign of a good rider is the ability to bail themselves out of most situations. Crashing is a skill as much as doing drops or gaps are.
That doesn't mean the folks that have been busting themselves up are hacks by any means...when your number is called, it's called.

With all this being said, I'm heading out the door and off to SST.:D

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
thesacrifice said:
I've had a few nasty bails on two tabletops on Freight Train...have the scrapes as memories but nothing more thanks to my armor. I tell you, a full face helmet might be the best piece of equipment I've purchased for any sport ever.
Hallelujah, the best $200 bucks I've ever spent on any biking equipment was on my cheap-ass full face and last year's yellow Tron suit. They've both paid me back in missed doctor bills many a time.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
carbuncle said:
Hallelujah, the best $200 bucks I've ever spent on any biking equipment was on my cheap-ass full face and last year's yellow Tron suit. They've both paid me back in missed doctor bills many a time.
I will second that on the full face helmet-so will my dentist ;) Still to many riders/racers take a short cut on the full cost of riding. The full cost of riding isnt just the $6000 for the rig and say $600 in parts for one year. Its also insurance. I brought this up before but for another $700-$1400 a year almost everyone could have insurance that would pay everything above $5000. The insurance from GHC is crazy cheap because your in a pool of people who arent out riding bikes like bats out of hell and they are subsidising your riding.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Once again, I love armor. After a very fun early morning session at SST yesterday I hit the far left drop straight on for the first time: that pup is a healthy little drop if you have some speed on! So I do it the once, land it, and that was supposed to be the final run (as I was getting the end-of-run sloppies coming on). But you can't hit a new line successfully just once, can you? Apparently so, because on the second run I washed out the back tire on the landing and ate dirt hard. The Pressure Suit held up well and now has matching gouges on the right arm, and my newly upgraded Roach Rallys saved the old knee caps from yet another slid-pad sand scouring (thumbs down on the 661 leg armor). Sprained thumb and torn shirt as the worst of it, armor rocks. And I almost didn't wear it because of the heat...