Quantcast

everything breaks

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
In the last 3 weeks I have seen so many bikes crack and/or break.

04 Demo 9-seatstay
04 Banshee Scream-top tube
02.5 Foes Fly-rear swing weld
03 Bullit-tiny cracks on multiple welds
05 Banshee Scream-seatstay

These are the main guys I ride with, and now my Foes has a crack. Montana, Whistler, North Sore, and Fernie must be hard on bikes.

Im starting to think all bikes will crack eventually. :nopity:

Unimog

Chimp
May 6, 2005
You figured it out, all alumninum bikes fatigue with use and will eventually break. This is why steel is great. It has a tolerance so normal riding doesn't slowly wear out a frame.

Unimog

Chimp
May 6, 2005
It breaks, just from abuse or larger hits. An aluminum bike can break from relatively easy use if it is ridden for long enough. A steel bike doesn't accumulate damage like aluminium.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Unimog said:
It breaks, just from abuse or larger hits. An aluminum bike can break from relatively easy use if it is ridden for long enough. A steel bike doesn't accumulate damage like aluminium.
if you built it as light as an aluminum frame it would. Steel (and Ti) have fatigue limits, not fatigue exemption.

Unimog

Chimp
May 6, 2005
That is what I was trying to say, that steel's fatigue limit is high enough that it can be ridden normally without accumulating the damage that an aluminum frame would.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Unimog said:
That is what I was trying to say, that steel's fatigue limit is high enough that it can be ridden normally without accumulating the damage that an aluminum frame would.
no, i'm saying it isnt high enough if you were making a frame of comparable weight, or so i was told

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
steel is real. (someone had to say it)

but its life its not always smooth and things break. its really too bad that your buddies bikes all broke. hopefully they can get some nice new bikes.

Aug 15, 2005
Berlin, CT
If you had a steel bike and were to built the exact same bike in aluminum, you'd have to use about 3 times as much alum. as steel. That is to have them weigh the same. You could also build a steel to be as light as a alum. bike, but you could only use about 1/3 as much steel as aluminum.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
livetheride514 said:
You could also build a steel to be as light as a alum. bike, but you could only use about 1/3 as much steel as aluminum.
And it would break.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
My buddy just bought himself an ironhorse yakuza, and he took it out on its first ride and ripped the der hanger in half. He was pissed. I made him a new one out of 4130 CroMoly on my mill, and now that sucker isn't going anywhere. At least it won't break. I know the der hanger is supposed to be a fuse, but it still is. Now, it will just bend a little instead of breaking completely.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Grizzle said:
My buddy just bought himself an ironhorse yakuza, and he took it out on its first ride and ripped the der hanger in half. He was pissed. I made him a new one out of 4130 CroMoly on my mill, and now that sucker isn't going anywhere. At least it won't break. I know the der hanger is supposed to be a fuse, but it still is. Now, it will just bend a little instead of breaking completely.
So can you "copy" der hangers? Like say for a Be One Dh frame rearend?

We could work out some reasonable payment.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Grizzle said:
i'd probably pick a mild steel, it'll still give but not as much, and will be easily bendible back. I'd hate to ruin the dropout