Quantcast

Evil Bikes 2008

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Is the batch of XL's a one time limited thing or will I be able to get an XL in a year or so?
Hmm, if I say "limited edition" will you buy it now LOL

The XL is planned as a standard production size. They might be harder to find b/c the units made will surely be less. Might be best to ore-order.

-ska todd

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I couldn't help myself & this is for you Dave. Lucky me with some of my toys & in the end I always remember that they sent men into space with slide rules.

Nice Jeff! That's a cool looking toy for sure. :)

One jealous East Coaster right now.. Kintner should have had the win today man..

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Is it one of Don's specials?
Yeah, I had him build it for me in 2003 or 2004, it was a while ago. The thing is pretty sweet, although not as cool as Jeff's rig! (but it does disassemble and store vertically so when space gets tight it's a plus..) :)

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Your 100% correct. I hope your not upset with what I wrote. I was just trying to point out that there are more ways to do. You are correct that the CMM is way faster though since it is easy to create axis and planes. As long as the part doesn't move you don't even need a slab of granite.

CMM's are prone to user error too. If you only knew the amount of hours I have wasted trying to analyse part dimentionals only to pick up a caliper and measure something that didn't look right on the CMM report and find that the whole layout was jacked up since someone wasn't paying attention while running the CMM. Part of the problem with a CMM measuring small bores is that surface roughness can effect the axis generated. The skilled operator will take more points than the minimum and do a gage R&R to verify the gaging method. The hack will do the minimum and have no idea if the measurement method is repeatable.

The tools for the SR71 turbine blades for instance were made without CNC or CMM equipment. That was when engineers and tool makers needed to think about measuring while designing. As you know, you can't really be effective at designing something without first considering how your going to manufacture it and how your going to measure it.

I have done both methods of measuring a frame and would bribe the CMM guys with lunch if I were to do it again. It's not fun trying to hand measure the headtube relative the suspension to get it oreinted correctly. I take it that's what your jig helps with. Not needed witht he CMM. :)

Is it spring yet? I need to ride. :D
I guess it's been a few days since I've been on this board and seen this thread! I had no idea there was so much talk going on. Actually, truth be told, I've put 35 miles on the XC bike over the 5 days since I last remember talking here. The weather's been awesome. Rain now though. Oh well.

100% agree with everything you wrote. You should have seen some of the crazy machined parts that they made at Draper (my pre bike industry job) back in the 50s and 60s. Inertial guidance system housings with geometric tolerancing and inspection that would make your head spin. These things resembled a hollow aluminum globe about 18 inches in diameter, with so many features it's unbelievable. I think I have a picture of a print from a geometric tolerancing paper actually. I'll try to dig it up, I think you'd get a kick out of it. US Open's coming soon man, are you ready?!

Last edited:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Oh an Dave(DW) can you PLEASE contact me?re the message i left on your visitors page an that Travis(Dante) forwarded to you via email
Hey, I think I e-mailed you back, didn't I?! Let me know if you got my message!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The race bikes are looking absolutely stunning. looking forward to the production stuff.

images via dirtmag.co.uk & transcendmagazine.com

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Not to get off subject, but does Bimmer paint the protos that pattern so its hard to see contours?
yeah, most companies use camo to throw you off on small or large changes to the body...its kinda like the "dazzle" battleships from WWII using odd painted lines to break up figure of the ship.

sometimes they'll add extra body parts to cars being used as "mules," which are in-production cars they are testing new technology on
sometimes they use paint to throw off the car's lines, or they use hard camo to act like extra body panels:

derail over

Last edited: