Quantcast

Evil Bikes 2008

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
It wouldn't kill the company to release one shot. Maybe one like the automakers do when they have a new car in the works. Set up the frame with black gaffers tape so that you can't see the logo or details or whatever the hell the car companies do.:crazy:

I agree on the anti-climatic. I was so pumped for it and now the only reason that I remember that they have a new frame is because of this thread.
I'm not saying bring it out in the open and hype it up, just a choice shot to keep the anticipation high or some progress reports.
They could always do it like the new mustang, release a pic of a weld every 2 weeks

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
You will get pictures when they are ready to show them. Pretty much.

Anyone consider that there may be specific details on the bike that Evil doesn't want to share with the world yet? hrmmmmmm..

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts

Anyone consider that there may be specific details on the bike that Evil doesn't want to share with the world yet? hrmmmmmm..
I know, I was just being an ass :biggrin:

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio

C'mon. Is this thing going to revolutionize the cycling industry or something? If it's that amazing how is Turner going to feel about having inferior technology? The only thing that I would not want to share would be something that would be embarrassing or would extinguish the hype. As far as hype goes, meh, it's been too long since we have seen any progress on the production of the frame. Most have written it off for this season.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO

Who the hell really cares at this point? Is there another company that will "steal" the technology that is going to revolutionize mountain biking and build a new frame out of it. Hell if that happened it might get released before the revolt.
A few updates to keep the hype up from the people who have supported Evil for years and have been patiently waiting for a DH frame wouldn't hurt anything.
Take a pic of the damn front triangle, or is the downtube curvature going to revolutionize the industry as well.
I understand your point DW and I am not saying give me detailed pics of the linkage.
You have a waiting customer right here so I am not just complaining for the sake of thread revival.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
i'd rather see a company like Evil say "we're making new bikes, they will look something like this and we will have pictures for you when they are ready," rather than have a company like Corsair give us all the pictures we want but no bikes.

curiosity is a wonderful thing, but that doesn't mean they have to show us pictures just because we want them (especially if they are going to be using patent-pending technology since we all know how much respect the bike industry has for that sort of thing). it's not like other companies give us sneak peaks of their first-gen. prototypes, usually the first one we see is several reincarnations removed from the original. there are lots of manufacturers working on new stuff right now, and they aren't taking pictures for us.

besides we already know what the reaction will be: someone will say it is flexy, another will say it is ugly or ask if it comes in rootbear, someone else will say it's a session 10, a single pivot, etc etc. :cheers:

Last edited:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
As someone who lives and dies by this let me chime in based on personal experience.

This is entirely a no-win situation right now with some people on this particular board. I have personally discussed this topic with the owners, product people, or marketing people at a whole slew of companies who service the downhill community. This attitude of "you owe me something" is keeping several companies from becoming involved here on ridemonkey. All they see is cynicism and complaining from a gaggle of people.

Let me illustrate:

1. If a company posts nothing about a new product release on their websites they are accused of "hype" or failing to deliver of some type of implied promise.

2. If a company posts a rendering or drawing of a product they are accused of "hype".

3. If a company posts a spy shot or a pic of a prototype they are again accused of "hype" or criticized on design aesthetics, weight, color, etc; even though it is clearly labeled as a prototype or "in development".

4. If a company posts a picture of a completed product ready for sale they are then bashed and accused of not testing it thoroughly, rushing it to market, not listening to the community's needs, etc.

If you want companies to leak information and participate on forums and message boards then you need to realize it is a two way street. The more positive you interact with them, the more positive they will interact with you. Not every company is thick skinned and wants to have to don the Nomex coveralls every time they try to become involved here.

There are also issues like the legalities of patent law, relationships with dealers & distributors, and flows of current product inventory that need to be taken into account by a company in the release of product information. Simply put, not everything is "open door".

As for Evil, as Ted noted, Thomas and others have been on the bike for a few weeks now putting it through it's paces. Pics will come in due time when we feel they are suitable for public consumption. We are truthfully up to our eyeballs running a start-up and trying to get all of these discussed products to market.

The people involved in Evil are not newbs, we've all been around this game for a bit. This isn't product being fabricated in a garage or conversely product picked fresh from the pages of the TBG. We're not some trust fund kids with a wad of cash to blow or some off shoot of some other big company. Take it all at face value and don't read too much into it.

Pics of new hardtails models have been floating around the internet for a couple weeks now. New Sovereign and Faction pics. I'm sure the super sleuths can find them and post.

Bottom line is that we love you guys. We're passionate about bikes and this sport. We're also trying to put product out that is correctly done and has the touches we want and expect. Cheers and merry holidays!

-ska todd

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Great response brother. I personally am passionate about bikes and I'm particularly excited to see this frame come to fruition. I just want to know that progress is being made. Pic tell 1000 right? Don't show detailed shots then, show Thomas shredding a berm or something. I got excited about this frame when I saw the rendering and heard about the suspension platform. I need a little something to keep the stoke going eh?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I can deal with that Todd, thanks for the response.
I'm antsy damnit!!!!!

And Lee, what the hell is rootbear:biggrin:

As someone who lives and dies by this let me chime in based on personal experience.

This is entirely a no-win situation right now with some people on this particular board. I have personally discussed this topic with the owners, product people, or marketing people at a whole slew of companies who service the downhill community. This attitude of "you owe me something" is keeping several companies from becoming involved here on ridemonkey. All they see is cynicism and complaining from a gaggle of people.

Let me illustrate:

1. If a company posts nothing about a new product release on their websites they are accused of "hype" or failing to deliver of some type of implied promise.

2. If a company posts a rendering or drawing of a product they are accused of "hype".

3. If a company posts a spy shot or a pic of a prototype they are again accused of "hype" or criticized on design aesthetics, weight, color, etc; even though it is clearly labeled as a prototype or "in development".

4. If a company posts a picture of a completed product ready for sale they are then bashed and accused of not testing it thoroughly, rushing it to market, not listening to the community's needs, etc.

If you want companies to leak information and participate on forums and message boards then you need to realize it is a two way street. The more positive you interact with them, the more positive they will interact with you. Not every company is thick skinned and wants to have to don the Nomex coveralls every time they try to become involved here.

There are also issues like the legalities of patent law, relationships with dealers & distributors, and flows of current product inventory that need to be taken into account by a company in the release of product information. Simply put, not everything is "open door".

As for Evil, as Ted noted, Thomas and others have been on the bike for a few weeks now putting it through it's paces. Pics will come in due time when we feel they are suitable for public consumption. We are truthfully up to our eyeballs running a start-up and trying to get all of these discussed products to market.

The people involved in Evil are not newbs, we've all been around this game for a bit. This isn't product being fabricated in a garage or conversely product picked fresh from the pages of the TBG. We're not some trust fund kids with a wad of cash to blow or some off shoot of some other big company. Take it all at face value and don't read too much into it.

Pics of new hardtails models have been floating around the internet for a couple weeks now. New Sovereign and Faction pics. I'm sure the super sleuths can find them and post.

Bottom line is that we love you guys. We're passionate about bikes and this sport. We're also trying to put product out that is correctly done and has the touches we want and expect. Cheers and merry holidays!

-ska todd

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004

I'm sure I'll get the flamethrower pointed at me but....

with all due respect - boohoo

the industry has no problems when the message boards are advertising their products for free, take the bad with the good.

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003
...besides we already know what the reaction will be: someone will say it is flexy, another will say it is ugly or ask if it comes in rootbear, someone else will say it's a session 10, a single pivot, etc etc. :cheers:
I think it will ride better with an Avy. :cheers:

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts

the industry has no problems when the message boards are advertising their products for free, take the bad with the good.

Agreed. Maybe they could follow the lead of a company like, say....Gamut. They quietly go about their business, pumping out great products, letting their great performance do the advertising.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802

even if i somehow confused consumer reviews and experiences of products posted on forums by riders as actual 'advertising' it would stand to reason that said company would actually have to have a product to sell first. at the moment Evil doesn't have anything for sale, and nothing to advertise. not sure why you expect that they have to show you the development of their prototypes. Sure, companies sometime leak photos of their projects, but it is almost never first generation. why should any company put an unfinished product out there for other people to critique and criticize when they are still very much doing the same thing to it themselves. I'm sure when Evil has something they are satisfied with they'll let us see it.

as for it taking so long, i'm sure the current economic climate is real friendly to starting a bike company and designing and building frames from the ground up.

sorry, but the whole sense of entitlement doesn't make sense to me.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA

Let me illustrate:

-ska todd
mayhaps the evil geniuses at Evil bikes can devote some R&D time (I'm sure they have plenty of that to spare, right? Seeing as how they are obviously not developing anything at the moment other than hype *cough* sarcasm *cough*) to developing a time machine so we can go back to the early days of the new millennium when Ridemonkey was so awesome that I spent a lot more time logged in than I have these last few years....A time when threads about Evil Imperials ran hundreds of pages deep.... I mean, I'm just sayin'....The increased 9-5 productivity is great but I do sorely miss the 'Monkey of yesteryear.

Okay. Back on topic.... I for one am really looking forward to seeing what these guys have in store for us and I'm perfectly happy to wait for it if that what it's going to take to mean the bike lives up to it's (scanning my gray matter for a word much more appropriate and less blatantly overused than "hype") ancestry, lineage, reputation for quality and innovation (okay so that was a few words blah blah blah). For those of you wanting a cutting edge hype machine to satisfy your sweet tooth for some pretty new candy, maybe you can check out one of myriad other truly over-hyped and under-innovated brands that are out there. I'm not going to name names but I can think of a heaping handful right off the top of my head.

An old adage just keeps popping into my mind at the moment, probably because it seems so appropriate?....here goes.......waaaait for it.........

"Anything worth having, is worth waiting for."

There it is. Yeah, I said it. Aaaand.....I'm out.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
can it take a Monster T;)

Nice work guys, i hope the DH bike looks that clean. and thumbs up for your choice of cable guides, i really liked those on my Sunday.

Last edited:

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Personally, I can wait. Post pics, don't post pics, I couldn't care less.

I've just got my 06 Sunday Factory re-sprayed and re-built and it will run another year no problem. I'm super stoked to be back on it after a winter of no DH riding.

When the Evil DH ??? comes out it will be high on my list of replacements, along with the Turner DHR.

Mar 4, 2003
Somewhere in Alabama
Anyone else excited about the newer Imperial and Sovereign? I've owned both and loved both; however, I did think that the Sov needed a bit slacker headangle. Sounds like the new one is an answer to my wishes.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
sexy i like it...

the bike i am really foaming at the mouth for is the 140mm bike...i would love to replace my heckler with an evil if it looks good. 160 is a bit much to ride around here all day.

cant wait