Quantcast

Evil Bikes 2008

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
The one in the Littermag picture is the same one that I've pedaled. The biggest impression that I got from it was how low the standover height is. There should be a few minor tweaks but when I looked it over up close it looked production ready.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
if you look close you can see the offset shock mount. it sits left-of-center to help balance out the weight added to the drive side of the bike. kinda' cool.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
if you look close you can see the offset shock mount. it sits left-of-center to help balance out the weight added to the drive side of the bike. kinda' cool.
I think they should offset the whole drivetrain to the left with it so that the right crank sits in the midline of the bike and I can pedal it with my third leg.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I think they should offset the whole drivetrain to the left with it so that the right crank sits in the midline of the bike and I can pedal it with my third leg.
LOL. I bet you could sell that video to Larry Flynt.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Hey Dave,
Any timeframe on more pics and some specs? Great to see the teaser pics, that'll hold me over for a little while!!!
Looks like a giant front triangle though:biggrin:
Sorry man, you are asking the wrong guy. I just did the suspension, geometry, and helped with the initial industrial design layout/concepts. Ska Todd should be able to answer a lot better than I can!

Albion

Chimp
Sep 25, 2008
Me brain was worky that day..
Think it is like that on the Sunn bikes too, but i think mainly on the 160 & 140 mm Kern LT. It's a great idea though.

The bike looks really nice, looks a bit like old-school 90's radical & mixed with the new radical someone posted some pics of a few days ago.
Either way, the linkage is def. different and it will be nice to get more pictures of it and see how it is working. really really like the look of it.

Hope they wont be too expensive!

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008

http://www.littermag.com/2009/wp-content/themes/mimbo/images/evil-bikes-revolt-prototype2.jpg
It's not that new, and kinda' nesecery with such low shock position. It was done on the Fusion bikes, and on... other bikes.

I like the lower CG and the fact that space free in the front from the suspension is used to lower the standover. If you ride it you'll probably not feel/need it, but for me a bike with such low standover just... is better :)

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I think it's great looking bike and the geometry is just perfect. However, in this day and age of hyroforming and forged yokes etc the plumbers pipe bender treatment on plain tubing looks a little oldschool.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Wow. I honestly thought we wouldn't get anything but hopes and dreams from Evil for a long time yet. Good on them, it looks killer.

Last edited:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Hey DW, any chance the leverage ratio will look something like this?

(Using the chart from the Lapierre DH920 which djamgils posted in another thread)...

To me, that's a darn near perfect leverage ratio curve...progressive - linear - progressive. Get the good small bump sensitivity up to the sag point and a good ramp up at the end of the stroke for bottom out with a nice active linear range in between.

That's an almost impossible leverage ratio to design into a single pivot suspension - UNLESS YOU ACTUATE THE SHOCK AT BOTH ENDS.

So was just wondering...

If so, the Evil would be the only single pivot bike out there with such a nice leverage curve...I could see it being a really effective design.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Hey DW, any chance the leverage ratio will look something like this?

(Using the chart from the Lapierre DH920 which djamgils posted in another thread)...

To me, that's a darn near perfect leverage ratio curve...progressive - linear - progressive. Get the good small bump sensitivity up to the sag point and a good ramp up at the end of the stroke for bottom out with a nice active linear range in between.

That's an almost impossible leverage ratio to design into a single pivot suspension - UNLESS YOU ACTUATE THE SHOCK AT BOTH ENDS.

So was just wondering...

If so, the Evil would be the only single pivot bike out there with such a nice leverage curve...I could see it being a really effective design.
Both the Evil and the new DHR use a dual progressive leverage rate. It can be done (I've done it) by actuating the shock from one or both ends.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Looks flexy.

Just kidding. I really like how the built bike looks vs. the frame shots. Nice and low, lots of standover. I want one...possibly in Seafoam Green. :biggrin:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Both the Evil and the new DHR use a dual progressive leverage rate. It can be done (I've done it) by actuating the shock from one or both ends.
(ah ha, I knew it!)

Well, that's pretty cool. I'm pretty impressed that you've managed to engineer that rate into a single pivot (if that is in fact what it is, I guess the cat is not out of the bag yet). Would be even more impressed to see how you would do it on a single pivot from only one end of the shock...eccentrics or complex linkage I would imagine.

I was skeptical about this new Evil bike at first, but the more I know the more I'm impressed. It is actually unique and a bit more than just some marketing hype. Will be watching Stevie on this baby this year that's for sure.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Looks flexy.

Just kidding. I really like how the built bike looks vs. the frame shots. Nice and low, lots of standover. I want one...possibly in Seafoam Green. :biggrin:
If Todd can't help, I still have about 30 pounds of Seafoam powder from Piper and Whitsell's bikes last season.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
(ah ha, I knew it!)

Well, that's pretty cool. I'm pretty impressed that you've managed to engineer that rate into a single pivot (if that is in fact what it is, I guess the cat is not out of the bag yet). Would be even more impressed to see how you would do it on a single pivot from only one end of the shock...eccentrics or complex linkage I would imagine.

I was skeptical about this new Evil bike at first, but the more I know the more I'm impressed. It is actually unique and a bit more than just some marketing hype. Will be watching Stevie on this baby this year that's for sure.

I don't know if it was intentional or not but DW did not say that he had successfully designed a single pivot to have a similar curve while being actuated from either one end or both, only that he had done it on both the Revolt and the DHR. I don't remember the DHR linkage off the top of my head but I think it only actuates on one end but is a multi-link design while the Revolt is definately a single pivot...

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
(ah ha, I knew it!)

the cannondale judge has a similar curve and its also a single pivot with link driven shock.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Is that bottom bracket area machined from a solid piece as to get more surface area to weld on? Looks like a nice detail.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think they may have hit a home run with this bike. From all the explanations it sounds very thought out. I def want to ride one, ASAP. I might even have to give up my boycott on aluminum bikes :D

Another thing to note... look at the upper shock mount... the linkage plates appear to extend nearly all the way to the eyelet.

edit: the ano finish is HOT.