Quantcast

Evil Bikes 2008

Trocadero

Chimp
Mar 18, 2009
Hey, this is a model of the bike I've put together based off of the pictures and information I've seen (nsmb's article was a huge help)

This isn't exact, from what I've read there's been some changes to the bike since the pictures I based it off of were taken, but it's pretty darn close.

^ the red line is the important one, basically it shows how hard it is to compress the shock. so when they say there's three stages to the travel they aren't lying, but do note the scale. It does ramp, but not a whole lot. However, going off what DW said in the nsmb interview this is just intended to supplement the damping trickery in current shocks (ie DHX coils)

I'd be interested to hear what you have to say about this, especially since reading through this topic has tipped me off to the fact that dw himself is posting in here.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Have been waiting for someone to chuck it into the Linkage program! Can you post the leverage ratio curve rather than the gradient curve?

I realize they are proportional, it's just easier to understand the leverage ratio...

Might be helpful to include a few other curves for comparisons sake as well, such as Commencal Supremem DH...I find it a useful reference.

Trocadero

Chimp
Mar 18, 2009
Sure, can do.

Evil Revolt: (w/ DW link)

Turner DHR 2009: (w/ DW link)

Commencal Supreme DH 2009:

Cove Shocker 2009:

Giant Glory DH 2009:

Yeti 303R DH 2009:

The original 303 DH has a nearly identical leverage ratio with the 303 R DH.

In fact, pretty much every upper-tier DH bike will give you something similar.

Last edited:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Thanks for that Trocedero. Pretty interesting. But I wouldn't say all those are similar. For example, if you overlay the Yeti curve on the Glory right above it (using the same scale), they will look totally different. The Yeti is linear and hardly progressive, ramping up from only 3 to 2.7. Whereas the new Evil ramps from 4 to 2.5. The Evil is going to feel plusher in the very earliest stages of travel due to that leverage curve.

Different ways to skin a cat I guess...all of those designs work well. But what is the optimum? Hmmm...

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Nice Luc! That thing must be so fun with the Hammerschidt. I want to build my current Sovereign up into something like that if I can get a Faction built up as a slalom bike.

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Sorry if this has been asked before...but I have been around the race scene for 20 years and I can't remember a bike brand ever getting the race team rollout like EVIL bikes is getting. With this MS team hookup (matti, steve, polc) and vanderham seems they have hit a homerun with pro rider exposure, more than any brand before eh?

Can't count honda, since they were not a brand with a mission to actually make bicycles.

Cheers
Stikman

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Sorry if this has been asked before...but I have been around the race scene for 20 years and I can't remember a bike brand ever getting the race team rollout like EVIL bikes is getting. With this MS team hookup (matti, steve, polc) and vanderham seems they have hit a homerun with pro rider exposure, more than any brand before eh?

Can't count honda, since they were not a brand with a mission to actually make bicycles.

Cheers
Stikman
Especially with a bike that wasn't even out yet. Talk about putting all of your eggs in one basket.

I can't wait to see the full team rip it up on that rig. Such a sweet ride.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802

Cheers
Stikman

First year of the Volvo/Cannondale team comes to mind, but i guess that's different because Cannondale had already been making and selling bikes for years.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006

Cheers
Stikman
yeah i was beginning to wonder where they are getting the money for all these riders from... does someone at EVIL have a rich uncle?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
seems they have hit a homerun with pro rider exposure, more than any brand before eh?
Dunno, seems like it's just getting a lot of web exposure where Evil already had a strong brand. I'm guessing the real world isn't getting near as much.

As for laying out cash, I think they've just been smart. I doubt the team riders are making mad bank and would guess Evil did what they could to take a grassroots, underdog kind of approach where the team is really part of the company. More intangible (free) rewards, than tangible (cash) rewards. Think Armada and 4FRNT skis...

HypNoTic

Man Whore
Aug 3, 2004
Montreal, Qc
@Luc

What would you think of putting an Hammerschmidt on a single-speed Sovereign? That would give an effective 2 speed bike that might be pretty fun.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Nice setup luc! That's a great setup for the trails around here.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Thanks for that, although this one can't be right. Pretty sensitive to precise positioning so I'm guessing you transcribed it from the photos a bit wrong.
It makes me cry to see people comparing bikes with that Linkage program. As you've pointed out, unless someone measured the bike with a CMM, there is NO WAY THAT THE INFORMATION IN THE PROGRAM IS ACCURATE.

As a matter of fact, with short links like used on the Revolt, or a dw-link, a difference of 1mm makes a completely different bike. The pictures of leverage rate curves in this message are not accurate, and nobody should be basing anything off of them.

Dave

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
It makes me cry to see people comparing bikes with that Linkage program. As you've pointed out, unless someone measured the bike with a CMM, there is NO WAY THAT THE INFORMATION IN THE PROGRAM IS ACCURATE.

As a matter of fact, with short links like used on the Revolt, or a dw-link, a difference of 1mm makes a completely different bike. The pictures of leverage rate curves in this message are not accurate, and nobody should be basing anything off of them.

Dave
are you kidding me?

Ridemonkey armchair engineers were able to critique your suspension design when it was still a computer generated image!

this place cracks me up sometimes.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz

Dave
Hey dw did you see me message on your ridemonkey profile????
Or the message of mine that Travis(dante) forwarded to your email?????
Some feedback would be good so i can move forward with my plans

Its making me cry trying to get in contact with you

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
DAMMIT!

...beat me to it...

That frame looks awesome.

are you kidding me?

Ridemonkey armchair engineers were able to critique your suspension design when it was still a computer generated image!

this place cracks me up sometimes.
EDIT: In all seriousness - it's awesome and an honor that you guys are curious and interested about the bike and the DELTA suspension. But until there are exact dimensions and measurements available, all anyone can do is go by rough estimates. This results in info that is "off" which can be misconstrued as fact. I'm just as eager to see one of these things as the rest of you guys - please be patient and all will be revealed.

Last edited:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI

Dave

You right about that program and how people misinterpret the results. The option in that program of using a picture to determine the geometry is absolutly ridiculous especially considering the accuracy required when people are debating a 3.1:1 verses a 3:1 ratio, ect.

However, you can measure a frame accurately without a CMM if you have basic layout knowledge, passed 10th grade geometry and still remember it and have some decent measuring equipment. That said, a CMM is way faster.

Last edited:

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Gawd Nagaredama posts like your's iratate me...an yes the Revolt resembles the Session(Giant dhcomp,Sunn Radical) etc etc its all been said before:plthumbsdown:

These days EVERYTHING can be compared to something else...nothing (very very little)is truely new an original:disgust: