Quantcast

Evil Bikes picture thread

wysiwyg

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Sherwood Forest, UK
Im an evilaholic.

1st ever UK Imperial I imported in what 03/04. Its a Mk1, previous to that I still have the first evil SRS 42t, east coast or whichever it was in the UK. Now im on my second sovereign. Wish I were a little bit shorter.

wysiwyg

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Sherwood Forest, UK

Numer uno circa err 03? Five arm so no use to man nor beast.

The guide on the other hand....

Is still on my bike.. must be ten years old surely. The jockey wheel cracked 8 years ago but is still there, somewhat blunted. Its still NEVER dropped a chain.

Last edited:

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
Very nice find! and yes these are as rare as it gets.
Do keep in mind that they come with sliding drop outs for a 14mm axle (I believe). Spacing is standard.
Back when Evil was DW's, I called them up about mine and they sent me sliders for 10mm axles, but I don't know if that can happen today. I'd ask the original seller if he has the conversion kit.
Nice frame :)

For what it's worth:

SL is Half a degree steeper head angle than reg imperial (great for tall forks). Normal angle seat tube makes climbing a breeze. Rear end becomes a bit stiffer than regular imperial, I think this is due to the seat post connecting at the BB. I don't know why anyone would run a SL with a 14mm axle, it's already stiff as heck, I liked mine more with a softer wheelset (28 spoke Deemax) as it made it a little more compliant.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Very nice find! and yes these are as rare as it gets.
Do keep in mind that they come with sliding drop outs for a 14mm axle (I believe). Spacing is standard.
Back when Evil was DW's, I called them up about mine and they sent me sliders for 10mm axles, but I don't know if that can happen today. I'd ask the original seller if he has the conversion kit.
Nice frame :)

For what it's worth:

SL is Half a degree steeper head angle than reg imperial (great for tall forks). Normal angle seat tube makes climbing a breeze. Rear end becomes a bit stiffer than regular imperial, I think this is due to the seat post connecting at the BB. I don't know why anyone would run a SL with a 14mm axle, it's already stiff as heck, I liked mine more with a softer wheelset (28 spoke Deemax) as it made it a little more compliant.
Good info for any interested folks... I'm not part of that group - just thought I'd post it here :)

Last edited:

leDude

Chimp
Sep 2, 2004
Good info for any interested folks... I'm not part of that group - just thought I'd post it here :)
:)
..PayPal sent to the buyer this morning...this is now mine! Anyone know if I can simply make my own adapter to run a 10 mm qr or ta? I was thinking to get a 14mm OD/10mm ID metal tube and use it as a slider adapter...thoughts?

And I have, not a problem but a sickness, own: evil sov v1, evil doc, now evil imp sl, BMW mini link, Nicolai helius....I've obviously been in the game for a looooong time.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Congrats. No idea about the axle, but I imagine you can make adapters to suit.

You've got some pretty obscure stuff anymore... your username is also pretty telling ;) Not many will know about that bike.

leDude

Chimp
Sep 2, 2004

You've got some pretty obscure stuff anymore... your username is also pretty telling ;) Not many will know about that bike.

You're the first person to have gotten the reference. The ledude was ridiculously overbuilt and excessively machined at the swingarm link bearing....it was fricken awesome.

And heavy as hell. Was basically a badass bullit on steroids.

Last edited:

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Just picked up one of the 4130 Sovereigns for cheap. What's the deal with the seatpost insert? My frame didn't come with one. Where does one get this? Or, what's the seattube diameter without the insert? Is it 32.4?

Any leads?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Just picked up one of the 4130 Sovereigns for cheap. What's the deal with the seatpost insert? My frame didn't come with one. Where does one get this? Or, what's the seattube diameter without the insert? Is it 32.4?

Any leads?
You should have received a sleeve with your bike - they were custom for the frame and came with them. If it did not get one, ask the seller.

If that doesn't work I'd recommend you get a machine shop to fashion one for you.

If that doesn't work out, keep in mind that the seat tube wasn't intended to have seat post against it raw and was therefore not prepared for one. I think 32.4 might work, but you should measure and investigate what the inside of your seat tube looks like and ream/surface accordingly.

leDude

Chimp
Sep 2, 2004

Anyone have a picture of the 14mm -> 10mm rear axle slider adapter that e13 provided with the imperial SL....I'm having no luck finding any online (no surprise, right?)
Want some pictures to see if I can make some adapters of my own.

Also, is there even a 14mm rear mtn hub that is produced? Only thing I've found are bmx hubs that won't fit a cassette.

leDude

Chimp
Sep 2, 2004
scratch that ^ post up there…I got myself an axle adapter…easy…14mm OD 10mm ID…just as I thought.

Progress today…front end will hold a Pike 454 - waiting on a reducer headset.

[/URL][/IMG]

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
Nice catch leDude! You're going to love the SL. Glad you were able to get an adapter too.

I had Mini Link #12, which one do you own?

Let us know your ride impressions once you get that thing built! :)

leDude

Chimp
Sep 2, 2004
I own #15.....current setup has a OL $£©©L Italian made super t ...I'm on the hunt for a Dorado single crown.

Ride impressions on the SL: soooo much easier on my back than the original imperial (yes, I owned a 1st gen imp back in the day). SL is super easy to manual and super stiff - as expected. I definitely don't push it to its limits - still need to take it for a legit single track session...pics of complete build forth coming

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
If anyone is interested I think I'm going to part with my Imperial Frame. It's been hanging on my wall for 9 months and I keep saying that I'm going to build it back up but I haven't and I don't see myself doing it any time soon... PM me if anyone is interested.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Price Police ... what are Sovereigns selling for these days?
(thinking about something different, not sure about selling)
Not much. Frames ~ $200-300... completes around $600-1000 depending on build.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Yes sir! Gonna build it up pretty light for my gf to ride xc on (she isn't tall), and for me to play around on. Really psyched to find one...

Looking for a rs revelation WC w keronite lowers now to make it just right. Little winter project.