Quantcast

Evil DOC for Mt.Cross/ Dual Slalom use?

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
I'm curious if anyone has used their DOC for racing. I was playing on a Slalom track at Sand Hill Ranch in Livermore, CA and I was having a hard time in the bermed corners.

I know the DOC has a higher than usual BB height since it was designed to work with 24" wheels, but when I came home and measured it, it measured out to be 14" inches. (damn that's high!)

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the DJ 1 fork I'm running, as Marzocchis are notorious for having a tall axel to crown measurement. But damn! For comparison's sake, my Giant AC1 has a 13.25 bb height, and that was measured unsprung, + it has 6 inches of travel!

The bike rides killer other than that. I guess I can get a different fork with a shorter axle to crown and run it in the shortest travel mode.. that should help. Any suggestions?

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
BMXman said:
I think the headangle is to steep for what you want to do...but other than that I would go for it...D

yeah, I don't know but the last time I checked, 68 degrees on a dj/urban/MtnX bike is SLACK

PBR how much travel does your dj have? you know you can slam em down to 80mm. I just got the kit from Marzocchi myself. That would probably help you out a ton

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
I have the short travel kit in my DJ now.

Im looking at getting a pike, which should help a little, and will drop weight as well. According to the Geometry specs on Evil's site, the BB height with a Sherman Jumper set at 100mm sets the BB height at 13.25"; at 80mm the BB is at 13".

Mine seems off from that quite at bit at 14". I'm kind of bummed; I've been really stoked on the frame until this point.

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
I'm running a 2.35 larson tt with mavic 321s.

I had a frame builder friend drop by and we remeasured the bb height. My first measurement was a bit high. It's actually more like 13.75". It still is pretty up there though.

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
13.75 is pretty high. On my DOC with 26"s and an 80mm fork my bb was a little over 12.75". Now with 24"s and different rims, the bb is at 11.9".

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
It looks like the DOC was designed more for 24" than 26" wheels. I think thats what the Evil pro riders mostly run.

At this point, I don't think it's possible to make a bike work( without some compromise) for both.

What 80mm fork are you running?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That still sounds high..... I'll measure mine when I get home.

I'm not a fan of high BBs and I don't have any problem riding 26s on mine, there's no way it's that high. I've got a sherman firefly that I dropped the travel on to somewhere around 90mm. It does have a 69 deg head angle so it's in the range that evil used to get their numbers.

Other than that, If I were serious about racing, I'd get a lighter frame. I had a chase frame that I thought would have been great for racing. Actually, I just watched the guy I sold it to get 5th (won the consolation round) in pro mtx at mammoth this weekend.

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
pbr said:
It looks like the DOC was designed more for 24" than 26" wheels. I think thats what the Evil pro riders mostly run.

At this point, I don't think it's possible to make a bike work( without some compromise) for both.

What 80mm fork are you running?

stance static with a blown air chamber and x firm springs

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
my buddy Chipper said he saw Hacksaw at Mammoth and he had a new prototype Sovreign frame.. any one know anything about it? apparently the bb is a bit lower.. and it's lighter. maybe its my next bike...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
pbr said:
my buddy Chipper said he saw Hacksaw at Mammoth and he had a new prototype Sovreign frame.. any one know anything about it? apparently the bb is a bit lower.. and it's lighter. maybe its my next bike...
He's been on that for a while. The BB may be lower but not by much. It is lighter though. The way he's got it set up with an 80mm sherman jumper, the HA is definitely steeper. I didn't really like it but I'm a mountain bike guy who hasn't touched a BMX bike since 1984.

I measured my DOC BB at 13.125 (13 and 1/8) with arrow launch tires and a 90mm sherman. Personally, if I were racing, I'd want something lower.

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
Yeah, I may just build up a separate bike for that kind of riding. My girlfriend is unhappy with the amount of bikes in my quiver as it is though.

I received an email back from Evil, and they did not confirm or deny anthing about Hacksaw's ride. John at Evil did state that Sovreign specs will not be changing anytime soon. Sounds like my buddy saw a version of a proto.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
pbr said:
I received an email back from Evil, and they did not confirm or deny anthing about Hacksaw's ride. John at Evil did state that Sovreign specs will not be changing anytime soon. Sounds like my buddy saw a version of a proto.
I ride with the guy every time I go dirtjumping.

I know his bike............what do you want to know?
He's on here as "hacksaw", send him a PM.

Atomlab wheels and stem, sic bars, small sovereign frame with "custom?" gold instead of white lettering, sherman 80mm jumper, profile cranks (pimp krylon finish), slippery a$$ atomlab pedals that your feel fall off of, a hayes brake and arrow launch tires.