Quantcast

Evil Megalodon?

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
So its looks like Evil has a 160mm travel version of the following in the works. Looks killer to me.

Discuss...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
my sweet ZeroFucks(tm) reverse layback system! or, how to bodge pedalability from a dh bike with a useless seat angle using spare bits. pretty elegant solution imo. totally not endorsed by thomson.

the bike does sound cool, though. shame about those angles. constrained by tire clearances i assume?

how you liking the following, btw?

Last edited:

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
The seat angle isn't that big of a deal and in fact I don't notice it.
its a huge deal for me.... my knees were in such pain that i couldn't ride 2 days in a row because of how whack ass slack it is. My knee was almost 2 inches behind the pedal spindle.

I had to slam my cleats all the way back in the shoe, flip my Thompson dropper backwards (it has a 5mm offset) and i had to get a "29er" specific seat (HAHAHA). Now my knees are inline with the pedal spindle and the pain is way less.

dw can make a great suspension, but i question his bike geo.

So its not a big deal to you, but its a big deal to some.
yes my cables are a fucking rats nest

Attachments

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Maybe Ian didn't notice when he coasted the bike over to his photo booth......:D
I think if I ran an XL it would have been a better fit for me. I went with the LG and at 6' 2" the XL may have been better. I ride flats so that may work in my favor as well. Actually that bike never made it into the studio....just the frame not the complete.

I wear 36" inseam pants BTW.....

The Insurgent should be here Friday I will post pics and it is an XL.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Genuinely curious here: is there a reason designers use a slack seat angle (following , sb66, etc) on otherwise well-loved bikes?
Im looking for a reason based on ride quality we may be overlooking (assuming there is a geometry based reason, not "so the shock/ bottle cage fit in such a way")

Anyone, anyone?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Genuinely curious here: is there a reason designers use a slack seat angle (following , sb66, etc) on otherwise well-loved bikes?
Im looking for a reason based on ride quality we may be overlooking (assuming there is a geometry based reason, not "so the shock/ bottle cage fit in such a way")

Anyone, anyone?
So, on a lot of these bikes, especially with bigger wheels, they need to do a kinked seat tube, with the seat tube connecting forward of the BB for tire clearance, or put monstrously long stays on. That's fine. The problem is that the designers then tend to give the bikes a normal "effective" seat tube angle, from the BB to the top of the seat tube, ignoring the fact that the seat still ends up super far back because the actual seat tube angle is slack as fuck. It doesn't have to be such a bad compromise, if they did the same kink, but gave it a super steep effective seat angle, so that they seat ended up in a normal place it would be a ton better. The seat would come kinda far forward when lowered, but if you have the whole seat tube shifted forward a bit, it also wouldn't need to be as slack for tire clearance, mitigating the problem somewhat.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
So, on a lot of these bikes, especially with bigger wheels, they need to do a kinked seat tube, with the seat tube connecting forward of the BB for tire clearance, or put monstrously long stays on. That's fine. The problem is that the designers then tend to give the bikes a normal "effective" seat tube angle, from the BB to the top of the seat tube, ignoring the fact that the seat still ends up super far back because the actual seat tube angle is slack as fuck. It doesn't have to be such a bad compromise, if they did the same kink, but gave it a super steep effective seat angle, so that they seat ended up in a normal place it would be a ton better. The seat would come kinda far forward when lowered, but if you have the whole seat tube shifted forward a bit, it also wouldn't need to be as slack for tire clearance, mitigating the problem somewhat.
That makes total sense, and maybe I'm giving the designers too much credit by assuming that they realize what you pointed out?
I am curious if designers actually mean to make these slack (at full-height) seat angles for a riding-based reason. For instance, steep head angle, I can wrap my head around a couple of handling-based reasons, but the slack seat angle, I've never seen a way that it helps while riding. especially for mountain biking where climbing is usually the reason to sit, which just makes the rear-weight bias of an overly slack seat angle even stupider.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Old school geometry, zero clue on ergonomics and back/knee strain causes, attempt at a more "flickable" bike that still has a long TT.

But...have blind trust in the bicycle engineers. They know what's best for you. They took CAD at a CC, and they smoke just enough weed to get through the day and they have some killer Strava times on the roads between their house and their office. Must be legit.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack

The new MEGA 29" has a fairly straight seat-tube. Not sure about the CS length but it looks long.
From the chart, 450mm CS = 17.7 inches. So yeah, long. Still looks like a fun bike for the right type of trails (ie the kind where you want a 150mm 66* HA 29er to begin with).

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I can't agree more, the slack seat tube angel is stupid I had my giant v2 dropper post turned to correct this. The only problem is how offensive it looked to my eye. The funny thing to me is in all the pictures of the evils the saddle is about as far forward as it could be. I wonder why

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I really don't ever want that.
I had the same thinking until talking to one of the local pros at the top of Daniel Ridge which is a fast, very rocky, very exposed downhill in Pisgah. They guy is about 6'4" and was on an XL E29. That thing is one of the largest bikes I've ever seen bar none--it looked ridiculous but in talking with him it's a great tool if you're bashing over really rough chunder at speed and there isn't a sharp turn in sight. Watching him ride and having dabbled in shorter travel fun 29ers myself (Banshee Phantom) I can see his point. YMMV.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Old school geometry, zero clue on ergonomics and back/knee strain causes, attempt at a more "flickable" bike that still has a long TT.

But...have blind trust in the bicycle engineers. They know what's best for you. They took CAD at a CC, and they smoke just enough weed to get through the day and they have some killer Strava times on the roads between their house and their office. Must be legit.
still waiting for you to join the bike industry to save it from itself. :busted:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I had the same thinking until talking to one of the local pros at the top of Daniel Ridge which is a fast, very rocky, very exposed downhill in Pisgah. They guy is about 6'4" and was on an XL E29. That thing is one of the largest bikes I've ever seen bar none--it looked ridiculous but in talking with him it's a great tool if you're bashing over really rough chunder at speed and there isn't a sharp turn in sight. Watching him ride and having dabbled in shorter travel fun 29ers myself (Banshee Phantom) I can see his point. YMMV.
will murray?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
still waiting for you to join the bike industry to save it from itself. :busted:
I have successfully avoided that for quite some time. There are probably <5 positions in the industry I'd consider. I am fortunate to have legitimate engineering work made available to me.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
my sweet ZeroFucks(tm) reverse layback system! or, how to bodge pedalability from a dh bike with a useless seat angle using spare bits. pretty elegant solution imo. totally not endorsed by thomson.

the bike does sound cool, though. shame about those angles. constrained by tire clearances i assume?

how you liking the following, btw?
was that your PDC? I think we've had this conversation before.

I really do like the following, but getting the saddle in the right spot can definitely be an issue. A lot of people have been looking at the megalodon and saying the seatpost looks even more slack...so yeah, this is going to be a DH bike only unless you hate your knees.

as for why designers can't figure it out...no idea. It makes sense when you have a bent aluminum tube, but we're talking about custom molded carbon fiber here...you should be able to make it 90 degrees if you want to, and put it in exactly the right spot. I think this was a design oversight for this bike. The only excuse I've ever seen for the awful slack seat tubes has been that the saddle is in the right spot when it's elevated, and further forward and out of the way when it's dropped (GT's ARC). In reality, that only works if you're in exactly the right height range when it's up, and then the saddle is too far forward so the wings are in between your knees, rather than the nose.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
A close friend has spent some time on this thing said it is an absolute monster, completely bike park ready if you wish...I don't believe this is the official name though...I'm sure evil will fill in the gaps soon enough.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I know I'm a filthy disgusting 29er heathen, but something like this would be very fun to try out. I'd love to grab another enduro 29er, with a dorado at 180mm, then turn it into a DH bike. I think it'd be an interesting experiment.