Quantcast

Evil Revolt or Transition TR450! Help me out

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Hello! I saw Ross and Bobby riding DH the other day. Good to see Ross on a bike again...
It would have been good to get out there with them but I've been up at the ski area on Sundays. We'll have to swap bikes for a lap the next time I see you on the trails.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I find it funny that people bitch about bikes not being american made, yet i can guarantee that 75% of the items in their house arent american made and probably 50% of those items are american companies. irony.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
well this thread went to complete hell.

who cares if it is Asian or American, all of them are pretty damn good quality...the Asian goods go through heavy quality control when they get here anyway...they arent going to disolve when you hit dirt during the practice run at your sport class race.

Asia isnt some tribal society that is banging rocks together, the technology they are using is as good if not better than ours at a fraction of the cost. I dont blame companies for looking to them to source goods.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Let's kick this up a notch. I saw a 2011 demo 8 being test on our local trails this weekend. Got to give it the old "parking lot hump" test. Felt really rampy. That's all I'll say. Discuss.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Using giant to compare to...well, anything, isn't a fair comparison. They own their factories and have the largest volume of pretty much any manufacturer when it comes to bikes, specifically high end ones.
So if they can make a better product at a cheaper price than anyone else, why do people by anything else? (unless they're getting some kind of deal on the other bike obviously) No I mean this as a serious question, that bike is an insane deal. I really don't understand the allure of the $2500-3500 dollar frame that isn't any better than the cheaper alternatives.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Because the same bike doesn't work for everyone. I mean, that's a pretty ridiculous question.

Why doesn't everyone drive a Mazda 3? :rolleyes:
Oh give me a break, aside from us freakishly tall people, and freakishly short people like you, and the res of the e-badasses, most riders wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the glory and a yeti/951/revolt/whatever bike is the flavor of the month.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Thats horse****. If you can't tell the difference between a Giant Glory and a Yeti (or any other dual link compared to a single pivot) then not only should you not be allowed down the hill, but you should probably be forced to wear a helmet at all times too.

The truth is people just like having fancy bikes. Most people can't ride to the level of their bikes anyways, so thats the clear answer.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
If you can't tell the difference between a Giant Glory and a Yeti (or any other dual link compared to a single pivot).

Haha the BS never stops on this site!

Let me get this straight: ANY multi link bike of any shape or form is better than even the best single pivot?

Straight gold right there...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.

Let me get this straight: ANY multi link bike of any shape or form is better than even the best single pivot?

Learn to read. I said its easy to feel the difference between a link bike and a single pivot.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

Erm, that isn't what he said. I have many single pivots. I love them to death. But I can sure as hell tell a difference between one and a multi pivot bike. No more, no less. But there is a very obvious difference.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Learn to read. I said its easy to feel the difference between a link bike and a single pivot.
The difference is that you can get a multi link bike to feel just like a SP or vice versa.

Transcend: I've riden plenty of each as well and comparing them like that is a huge over simplification. To say every multi link bike regardless of design feels different than all SP bikes is just not true. I'm not arguing that one is better than the other, but lumping them together like that into two (and only two) distinct groups is a fallacy IMO.

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The difference is that you can get a multi link bike to feel just like a SP or vice versa.

Transcend: I've riden plenty of each as well and comparing them like that is a huge over simplification. To say every multi link bike regardless of design feels different than all SP bikes is just not true. I'm not arguing that one is better than the other, but lumping them together like that into two (and only two) distinct groups is a fallacy IMO.
I'd be really impressed if you can make my 225 feel like a v10 or a 951.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
That's the point though, just because this one bike doesn't feel like this other bike, doesn't mean an SP can't feel like a multi like bike.

It just means that that one bike doesn't feel like that other bike.

Kinematically speaking, many multi link bikes are very similar to some SP bikes.

There can be differences in braking and anti-squat that cannot be replicated without a floating brake or idler. However for just tracking the terrain and the feel of the bike, they can both be made to be very similar. This of course can be read to mean that all multi link bikes pedal and brake better than a similar SP, which is not true either. Demos for example pedal horribly on paper, and in real life. I sure hate pedaling mine.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
The truth is people just like having fancy bikes. Most people can't ride to the level of their bikes anyways, so thats the clear answer.
that is a sig worthy quote, it is a no BS correct statement about us mountain bikers...we love gear, we love talking about it, and some of us actually like using it rather than arguing about it on the internet.

well put DM

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Take a look at how many parts on the Revolt are purpose built. From talking to Kevin my understanding is that the only piece of hardware on the entire bike that can be bought out of a catalog is the hardware on the headtube. The machined delta link is custom, the aluminum I-links are custom, the shoulder bolts are custom, the shock tunnel is cast or forged and required a die/form, every tube is hydroformed instead of straight. Evil went all out on making their flagship bike special.
No one's mentioned this before, but I think there's more bad than good in that. The revolt reeks of the final-gen sunday; most of the hardware on the bike is custom made, shock hardware is nonstandard (10mm), and very little hardware on the bike can be obtained off-the-shelf.

That means that even while evil is happily in business, people will have to depend on the manufacturer/distributor for virtually every part on the bike - which mightn't be an easy task, especially for people living outside of the US. When the bike gets superseded, more problems.

Often there are first-gen issues with completely custom hardware as well (some of which we've already seen reports of) because let's face it - mainstream stuff is mainstream because it works.

For the suspension geeks out there, it also means you can't run needle bearing shock hardware (like BOS and Enduro) - which I think is a shame, since it has become mainstream and reliable in recent times. The CCDB's spherical bearings won't work either.

Just my take on it. There are benefits to boring.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
That means that even while evil is happily in business, people will have to depend on the manufacturer/distributor for virtually every part on the bike - which mightn't be an easy task, especially for people living outside of the US. When the bike gets superseded, more problems.
wUrd. There is no reason EVERY (well, maybe almost every) piece of hardware on a bike shouldn't be available at a good hardware store or Mcmaster Carr. Custom bolts/nuts/bearings etc. are total BS.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
wUrd. There is no reason EVERY (well, maybe almost every) piece of hardware on a bike shouldn't be available at a good hardware store or Mcmaster Carr. Custom bolts/nuts/bearings etc. are total BS.
Yeah custom hardware is a PITA. The Sunday was enough of a headache (M17 x 1.0 thread? - WTF?). The older Demo 8s used a custom bolt for no appreciable reason on the front shock shuttle mount. A mate of mine stripped one disassembling his bike, so we had to drill it out. The local Specialized rep wouldn't sell the single replacement bolt and quoted $180 for the Demo 8 bolt kit. Suffice to say, we drilled and tapped the mount to suit a normal off-the-shelf bolt instead.

The TR450 also uses bog stock 6902 and 6904 bearings with no crazy inner race sizing or little annoying spacers.

The evil comes with 5 or 6 sticker sheets. nana.
Damn. Buy that then. Actually my TR450 must have come with something like 40 individual stickers in a myriad of colours.

Last edited:

mountains4me

Chimp
Sep 18, 2009
Has anybody ridden a 2009 Commencal supreme dh and tr450? The pivot placement is looks the same height and the linkage looks almost the same but upside down? Do or would these ride and feel pretty much the same?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'd be really impressed if you can make my 225 feel like a v10 or a 951.
I think he was talking about having similar leverage curves not making completely different bikes made the same by some magical trick and in that case it is acievable to get most of the curves of the vpp bikes with a linkage actuated single pivot (with no linkage, I don't think so). Of course there will be other differances but it will make them feel quite similar.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Damn. Buy that then. Actually my TR450 must have come with something like 40 individual stickers in a myriad of colours.

well well. I guess I can go count the 7 stickers on each sheet, and multiple that by the 6 different sheets of color. Which gives me what, like 42 stickers.

Im just bummed my bike wont look so awesome sitting next to my aging Yamaha Banshee. ;)

BTW, I think the TR450 is a fantastic bike in appearance and on paper, everyone who bought them seems fantastically happy. Which is all that honestly matters.