Quantcast

Evil Twins (Heavy Sovereign & DOC content)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Well its done, my newly built Evil Sovereign along with its little brother the DOC. I built this as an XC rig that would take everything from aggressive trail riding here in western PA to an occasional race. Actually raced it in Dirt Rag Mags "punk bike enduro" last weekend and the thing is :drool: . Build comes in at exactly 30 lbs. Enjoy the pics.

The Build:
Regular Evil Sovereign silver
Fox 36 R Talas fork
Mavic Crossmax XL wheelset
Chris King Headset
Thompson oversized stem
Thompson Seatpost
Bontrager oversized carbon bars
Avid Juicy Carbon Brakes 170mm front brakes
Sram X.0 rear derailure
Shimano XTR front derailure
Crank Bros Candy Pedals
Sram x.9 shifters
Ritchey Z max rear tire
Schwable Albert Front tire
Ruffian Grips

The little brother:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
the Inbred said:
those bikeys are in need of some AE stickers...

i kinda miss my DOC.

AE stickers hahahh i guess i gotta represent haha...

Yeah i love th DOC, i have a couple of upgrades coming (26t evil guide, camo sunringle rims:drool:)

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Wow those are some nice builds. I love the look of those Juicy Carbons. Sweet choices man. You must work at a bike shop or own one or just have a lot of money. Haha.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
rpk1988 said:
Wow those are some nice builds. I love the look of those Juicy Carbons. Sweet choices man. You must work at a bike shop or own one or just have a lot of money. Haha.

thanks man :thumb: they have both been a work in progress, and are pretty much exactly what i wanted all along...The Juicys are amazing i was a die hard hope guy then i rode a pair of these...Few hours later, i sold both my minis and m4's for avid products...

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
Both builds are sweet!!! How stiff is that Sovereign? I used to ride a Gary Fisher Pro Caliber (hardtail) on the trails here in Virginia. After every ride I just felt beat up from the Fisher being so stiff. That feeling never changed, no matter how good of shape I was in or how much I rode.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
MikeD had a Green Soverign that I was going to buy off of him, but I decided to keep my P.1. It was forrest green. Not sure if he still has it.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
CHOP said:
Both builds are sweet!!! How stiff is that Sovereign? I used to ride a Gary Fisher Pro Caliber (hardtail) on the trails here in Virginia. After every ride I just felt beat up from the Fisher being so stiff. That feeling never changed, no matter how good of shape I was in or how much I rode.
Chop, The best way i can describe the sovereign is solid. I used to ride a procaliber back in the day (the first genisis one) then i went to a chameleon for XC. I struggled with the decision to replace the chameleon with the sovereign for a while but now i am really glad i did. I would say if those aluminum hardtails were beating you up the sovereign would be the way to go, i wanted a bit more of a supple ride and it is just that...its a blast to ride.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
rpk1988 said:
MikeD had a Green Soverign that I was going to buy off of him, but I decided to keep my P.1. It was forrest green. Not sure if he still has it.
yeah i actually saw a pic of that one, i was just wondering if there was many more out there...I almost got the green, but was worried i would get sick of it, at this point i sorta wish i did get it...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Castle said:
I think you've encouraged me to build my sovereign back up in a similar way
i cant believe you wanted to sell it:angry: . It is one of the most neutral solid bikes i have ever ridden...build that bad boy up...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
BigMike said:
cool man :thumb: so is the 36 a good XC Race fork :blah:
Honestly, i was coming off a vanilla...And this thing doesnt feel any heavier although it is about a pound heavier...I wanted something that was solid as hell that would do everything well...This is what i came up with. It's not like im hitting the NORBA circuit with the thing, i do a bunch of xc'ish races here in PA though...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Honestly, i was coming off a vanilla...And this thing doesnt feel any heavier although it is about a pound heavier...I wanted something that was solid as hell that would do everything well...This is what i came up with. It's not like im hitting the NORBA circuit with the thing, i do a bunch of xc'ish races here in PA though...

Hey man, thats what its all about, riding what you like! The 36 is a sweet ass fork, I've just never heard of someone putting it on an XC "race" bike. I say kudos to you for rocking it :thumb:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
BigMike said:
Hey man, thats what its all about, riding what you like! The 36 is a sweet ass fork, I've just never heard of someone putting it on an XC "race" bike. I say kudos to you for rocking it :thumb:
ha-ha yeah some of the purists around here are giving me some sh1t, i guess "race" is open to interpretation...:)

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
manhattanprjkt83 said:
i cant believe you wanted to sell it:angry: . It is one of the most neutral solid bikes i have ever ridden...build that bad boy up...
well I had mine set up differently. (dj/park)

As a trail/xc bike (gears, light wheels, longer stem) I think I would really enjoy it. It might take me some time to do it but I'm about 99% on it.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Castle said:
well I had mine set up differently. (dj/park)

As a trail/xc bike (gears, light wheels, longer stem) I think I would really enjoy it. It might take me some time to do it but I'm about 99% on it.

Yeah i would say go for it!

PowersUSA

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
Mass
Nice Sovereign. I was wondering how the Fox 36 TALAS would look on a silver Sovereign, I like it. Though, I think it would look even nicer on the blue Sovereign with cream decals. Here is my Sovereign setup up for trail use. I typically run the saddle higher then shown in the pictures, closer to how yours is setup. By the way, how easy/smooth is the seat post adjustment on your Sovereign. On mine the fit is very rough/tight making saddle height adjustments a pain. The aluminum insert spins and pulls out with post. I called Evil in September and at that time they did not have any spare seat post inserts they could sell me, time to give them another call. I'm thinking of getting the new Maverick Speedball seat post so that I can adjust the saddle height on the fly.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
jncarpenter said:
...hey man, I like your style! :love: :cool:
Nice build brother...How much does that weigh?

I can't wait til summer when i can throw the larson on the back and the yellow kirin on the front...dreamy.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
That is a real respectable weight, im honestly a bit disappointed with my 30 lb number...I really payed attention to buying light weight components to offset the 11.3 weight of the frame/fork combo, I was hoping to get it in at around 27/28....

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
nice rides... can't wait to finish building mine up.

it's starting as a singlespeed... really enjoying the simplicty & low cost of singlespeed right now.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dump said:
nice rides... can't wait to finish building mine up.

it's starting as a singlespeed... really enjoying the simplicty & low cost of singlespeed right now.
Yeah the singlespeed set up on the sovereign is soooo clean, I was actually thinking about doing that for about 3 seconds then realized I was insane. Western PA hills can be hell on a singlespeed.

What is your build looking like dump?

Any pics?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Yeah the singlespeed set up on the sovereign is soooo clean, I was actually thinking about doing that for about 3 seconds then realized I was insane. Western PA hills can be hell on a singlespeed.

What is your build looking like dump?

Any pics?
No pics just yet, still waiting for a bunch of parts. I'm on a kona (singlespeed) atm and when those parts come in, I'll move the rest of the parts over from the kona.

Regarding PA hills... while it does have some, especially in the highlands, I thought the rest of western PA had hills until I rode out here... comparatively, it's flat! :D really.

ahaha :)

honestly though, singlespeed gives the rest of the body a much better workout... I like that.