Quantcast

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
it costs alot to make bikes, it costs alot to travel and test those bikes. Im a warranty claim myself and im ok with the wait. Kevins spending alot of money to make sure were all taken care of and satisfied.

I see no problem with having to possibly wait a bit longer if need be, dudes gotta pay the bills.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
That's not a very good idea IMHO, warranties should go first.
lets say there is only enough cash to pay for 200 bikes. you send all 200 to warranty. now you have no money, and nobody would ever consider actually investing, and the brand is toast. at that point, why build the warranty bikes at all... which means nobody gets any warranty bikes.

if you sell 1/2 the first batch, then use the proceeds to bankroll the second batch, you can fulfill all the warranty claims and have just enough cash to move forward with building bikes, which means it actually makes sense from a business standpoint, and he is able to fulfill all the warranty claims and not just throw a few hundred thousand dollars into an incinerator.

makes sense to me.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Like I said, I dont know exacts, he just said she's splitting them as they come in. Beyond any of that I'm super stoked for Kevin to be heading into a new phase, a positive one.

It takes alot to stand in the middle of the fire and try to fan it out and glad dudes got the gumption.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
it costs alot to make bikes, it costs alot to travel and test those bikes. Im a warranty claim myself and im ok with the wait. Kevins spending alot of money to make sure were all taken care of and satisfied.

I see no problem with having to possibly wait a bit longer if need be, dudes gotta pay the bills.
Holy crap. You're a more patient man than I. I guess once you've waited, what, 18 months, another "two weeks" isn't the end of the world?

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
At this time of the year, It's not about waiting a bit longer, it's about losing another riding season or not. If we were in January, waiting two or three months more wouldn't be very important.

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
At this time of the year, It's not about waiting a bit longer, it's about losing another riding season or not. If we were in January, waiting two or three months more wouldn't be very important.
Since it has been so long I think most have moved on to another bike (I hope). It will be interesting to see if these people build them up or turn around and sell them. I think most will keep them as it is the latest and "greatest" thing (carbon). Now we have to wait and see if the love for Evil comes back around from the people that have a true reason for hate and not the haters who never owned one. I am pulling for them even though I was one of those side line haters, they look amazing.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
This whole debacle is laughable, but this put me in stitches. This is what happens when you have artists running bike companies. The bike industry needs more companies lead by engineers and smart businessmen rather than artists and bikeshop burnouts.
smart businessmen? People are still talking about, and are even excited about buying, a bike from a company that has left people without bikes for two years. It doesn't even sound like the warranty waiters are going to get their bikes immediately, as some are saved for sales. How would you feel if you're the last person to get your replacement frame, having spent two years with 3grand sitting in a pile in the driveway, while other people are out riding the bike that you already paid for. He might be the best businessman in the world. He's effing people in the arse and not even giving them a reach around, and they love it.

Pretty boxes indeed.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
As much as I want to support Evil wasn't the initial version - January? it seems quite warm for January.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
How would you feel if you're the last person to get your replacement frame, having spent two years with 3grand sitting in a pile in the driveway, while other people are out riding the bike that you already paid for.
but but but those people probably spent another $3k on another frame. :rolleyes:
the more i hear about this, the happier i am i sold mine. if for some reason i was waiting for another warranty frame for this long, you damn well know i would have filed a lawsuit many moons ago

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
but but but those people probably spent another $3k on another frame. :rolleyes:
the more i hear about this, the happier i am i sold mine. if for some reason i was waiting for another warranty frame for this long, you damn well know i would have filed a lawsuit many moons ago
You're a typical entitled consumer.
You got THREE frames for the price of one and you still bitch, bitch, bitch.......

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
You're a typical entitled consumer.
You got THREE frames for the price of one and you still bitch, bitch, bitch.......
when someone pays serious money for a product and two out of the three fail, you expect a mfg to support their product which they know have serious issues.... thats not "entitlement."
what if you bought a car and 2/3 of them were pos's and you had to wait two years for a replacement. i guess thatd be okay with you?

keep drinking that kool-aid though.

Lawsuit filing....one of the typical American sports !
its mind bottling to think some people are fine with sitting on their hands for this long and not getting anything.

san_andreas

Chimp
Dec 16, 2010
That's right, but what should filing a lawsuit be good for ? Getting money from someone, who has not been selling frames for two years ?

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
I'm struck by Evil/Lahar comparison here (saw a Lahar on the trails in Rotorua the other day...)

Lahar did something REALLY innovative, built his own stuff, with zero budget, and failed with a handful of people out of pocket due to inventors complete lack of business skills and capital.

Evil built some hype, had a brand + massive industry hype, hired in a designer, farmed off the manufacture, built quite few (?) frames and left many holding the can.

From what I can tell, both seem(ed) genuine about making reparation... but one lost pretty much everything in trying to do so, and the other rolls on.

Good luck to all you poor saps. Hope the frames arrive.

samnation

Monkey
Jan 25, 2009
Somewhere in KANURDUR
If the Lahar had been built when the Evil was he would have crashed even harder the fact is that people want carbon downhill bikes now and Evil has arguably the best one.

Just a side note on all of this... Mason's bike is still running strong I spent last weekend riding with him. If he can't do damage in the bikepark all summer I doubt an internet sap can. Unless you are a hack then that's your fault.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
If the Lahar had been built when the Evil was he would have crashed even harder the fact is that people want carbon downhill bikes now and Evil has arguably the best one.

Just a side note on all of this... Mason's bike is still running strong I spent last weekend riding with him. If he can't do damage in the bikepark all summer I doubt an internet sap can. Unless you are a hack then that's your fault.
There are many cases of prototype bikes running no problem under pros and then failing in the production. All it takes is a small change or a production issue. Not to mention number of testers count. I really want Evil to create a great bike, hell I'd even consider buying one if after a season there is no issues but that's not a test for nothing.
Remember that Barel rode his proto summum for the whole season and I think that frame was considerably lighter than the production summum (don't want to put numbers from my ass but I think Cesar posted the weight somewhere on here)

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha

So what makes this bike the best one? Are cat 2 riders suddenly going to podium in the pro class once they receive their Evil frames? Are pro class riders suddenly going to end up smashing Gwin and the rest of the WC field once they're available? Are riders going to jump higher and ride faster? Are all the bike park groupies going to flock to the Evil riders and throw their flawless naked bodies at them due to he rareity and newness of these unobtanium frames?

Even Kevin himself stated in the interview that there are plenty of great frames out there, but when you buy an Evil you are supporting a lifestyle or attitude or some Marketing BS.

Reality is there are a number of carbon frames out there with a strong presence on the WC podium that are available to the general public and are backed by an actual warranty...you know, one that actually replaces product once it fails due to manufactures defects.

Any idiot that buys one of these things is going to end up with a frame with the resale value of an '87 Pontiac Fiero. Kevin may truely be the greatest guy in the industry, but this venture has failed miserably.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Reality is there are a number of carbon frames out there with a strong presence on the WC podium that are available to the general public and are backed by an actual warranty...you know, one that actually replaces product once it fails due to manufactures defects.
oh you and your sense of entitlement

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
haha i like it....but shouldnt you be busy chasing russians up your street right now
My country is stupid and so is football. I wouldnt feel sad if both sides just took themselves out. On the other hand riding in Maribor isnt stupid. I can work remotely so the choice is easy ;)