Quantcast

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
ack, you edit your double post and my response loses all context. I feel like you win somehow.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Wow... someone REALLY likes carbon fiber... LoL.

OK - just to clear up any confusion:

Pricing: $3,350.00 USD / 2,999.99 Euro

*Note: For warranty frame recipients who were previously riding a Revolt, and are transferring their shock to their Undead, increase the spring rate for the Undead by 50#.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
I'm jealous of Tetreault's super carbon rig. That is awesome.
Ha i wish it was mine, just seen the pic pop up on-line, thought the forum would appreciate it. Mine showed up last week and is sitting in the box down in my basement. I will be selling mine as I have since moved from the mountains and have no reason for a carbon DH bike. Not to mention i have none of the parts needed for such a build anymore either, it was 2 years ago :D

holy tits on a stick gone sideways
I beat you

ack, you edit your double post and my response loses all context. I feel like you win somehow.
I did that on purpose ;)

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
is that calendar in the background to mark how long youve been waiting?
Why do you still troll in this thread?

Glad people are stoked on getting their warranty bikes. Hopefully the Internet can move forward as Evil is trying to do.

Cheers

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
It's to mark how long your vagina has been full of sand because your M9 dented on the first ride.

The carbon kool-aid is so good.
He is not called angry Steve for nothing :)

Just looking at the one with the Enve wheels above my wallet started to run away. Worst thing about it is that bike would not make me one bit faster if I had a chance to ride it. :(

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Anyone got or getting a large? Interested in the actual WB number of one built up.

Rode the medium undead and it felt a bit small under me, but I'm hoping the large isn't as big as the dw-dhr in large (a little too long given they have four sizes IMO, hoping evil used a tighter spread).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Is it just me or does the carbon work around the shock-pocket look really sloppy? I'm excited that people are getting their rigs, but it just seems out of place for a 3.4k DH bike to have carbon "flash" and such. The pic on the other page really shows it.

I guess if it's just visual, then fine, but it just seems so out of place on a mega-hype-get everything right this time-megabike.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
let us know how many rides it takes for yours to break.again
ran into someone at Whistler thats been riding his everyday (proto) for the last few months and its still going strong with no issues.

Isnt it time you simply moved along. Im sure no one here really gives a **** about your opinions as they are as played as a sear point hookers pussy.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
the funniest (saddest) part is that the one person all pissy about it isn't even an evil owner. everyone else seems pretty stoked to be getting new frames, and even if it did take way longer than one would hope, they are being taken care of.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ran into someone at Whistler thats been riding his everyday (proto) for the last few months and its still going strong with no issues.
im sure a company test rider would have told you if one had broken :thumb:

the funniest (saddest) part is that the one person all pissy about it isn't even an evil owner. everyone else seems pretty stoked to be getting new frames, and even if it did take way longer than one would hope, they are being taken care of.
im glad i dont have my Evil anymore. all three of the ones i had were utter garbage (but rode great. go figure.) and they should be happy. its been 2 years. but hey, they are "doing the right thing..." i mean the legal thing

the only redeeming quality that company had went to GT

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
im glad i dont have my Evil anymore. all three of the ones i had were utter garbage (but rode great. go figure.) and they should be happy. its been 2 years. but hey, they are "doing the right thing..." i mean the legal thing

the only redeeming quality that company had went to GT
I remember you being far more positive when you had one on sale.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
and they should be happy. its been 2 years. but hey, they are "doing the right thing..." i mean the legal thing
well hey, they also could've thrown in the towel, declared bankruptcy, and left the frame owners with nothing...but they didn't, so yeah I think they deserve a bit of credit for seeing it through and making good on something that would've definitely forced a lot of other companies to shut down.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Anyone got or getting a large? Interested in the actual WB number of one built up.

Rode the medium undead and it felt a bit small under me, but I'm hoping the large isn't as big as the dw-dhr in large (a little too long given they have four sizes IMO, hoping evil used a tighter spread).
Udi! I had the same issue with my Medium Revolt as I used to ride a Med. IH Sunday.

The cockpit on my medium Revolt felt too small for me personally. I'm between 5'10 and 5'11 depending on what liquor store I'm fleeing, and have an arm span of approx 76.5" from middle finger tip to finger tip (I come from a long line of North Eastern European Orangutans).

I took some rough measurements and a medium Revolt / Undead (identical Geo) falls between a Small and Med. Sunday. The front end felt too short and gave me the uneasy feeling like I was going to go over the bars while railing a berm. I ride with a slight weight-forward bias as one would when piloting a Sunday.

I measured my new large Undead and it is about an inch longer than a medium Sunday.

*Note: (all measurements are approximations)

I plan on setting up my Undead with a 48mm stem and a saddle that is slightly forward of center on the post as a starting point, and then I'll adjust from there.

Sammich - which pic are you referring to? When you say "flashing" are you referring to left-over bits of material at the mold seam or the appearance of the CF? The CF on the Undead can have a super cool "curl" or "flame" to it much like the book-matched maple top of a Gibson Les Paul or PRS guitar... sometimes a mother-of-pearl effect. Although this is what it may looks like, as what I can tell from mine she's as smooth as Kate Beckinsale's thighs...

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Well that was a bit of a spoiler of a movie about a guy who is handy with a hammer but the message still stands.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
im sure a company test rider would have told you if one had broken :thumb:
Actually dude was pretty quick to tell me he had no affiliation with Evil any longer. YEs, he could be lying as im sure you'll see it that way, and yes, it could have broken 50 times and it was a new one.

Or, you can stop being a consumate douche about the bike and move along, is it not enough that Evil honored warranties and began shipping bikes free of cost to people? Your **** is literally so tiring to read, its mostly just stupid banter about how much you hate Evil, we get it.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I measured my new large Undead and it is about an inch longer than a medium Sunday.
Cheers for the reply, but an inch longer where, in WB? Assuming it has the same fork set at same length if that's the case. Any pics of the new rig built up? Side on. :)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Or, you can stop being a consumate douche about the bike and move along, is it not enough that Evil honored warranties and began shipping bikes free of cost to people? Your **** is literally so tiring to read, its mostly just stupid banter about how much you hate Evil, we get it.
again +1 - Obviously the bikes are looking great and people are psyched. Get over it.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Cheers for the reply, but an inch longer where, in WB? Assuming it has the same fork set at same length if that's the case. Any pics of the new rig built up? Side on. :)
Thanks Udi! I'll have her posted up when she's finally done. =) Whoops - it's about an inch longer in the TT area.

Anyone have the reach and stack measurements for a medium?
RainG - Here is a brief bit of info from the pending new website:

Reach:
Small: 363mm
Medium: 383mm
Large: 403mm
XL: 418mm

Stack:
600mm ALL frame sizes (Undead)

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sammich - which pic are you referring to? When you say "flashing" are you referring to left-over bits of material at the mold seam or the appearance of the CF? The CF on the Undead can have a super cool "curl" or "flame" to it much like the book-matched maple top of a Gibson Les Paul or PRS guitar... sometimes a mother-of-pearl effect. Although this is what it may looks like, as what I can tell from mine she's as smooth as Kate Beckinsale's thighs...

This one. it looks like it's already chipped up. It's not "flash" as referred to by the small seam, it just looks weird. The previous photo was this one: http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/194989_1691133283447_777538762_o.jpg where you can see the overlay is not quite smooth on the back of the seattube.

Like I said, still glad to see these going out to warranty people. Like, super glad.

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
that is black bondo used to fill in voids where the mold wasn't filled and sanded smooth.

there's 3 states:
1. voids between the mold cavity and fiber that are filled by resin during the curing process.
2. voids between the mold cavity and fiber that are not filled by resin, and are filled with bondo during finishing.
3. perfectly filled frame with no voids

Obviously, the latter is what is the holy grail. It is hard to get there, especially if you have a lot of sharp corners and areas where you don't have compaction from internal pressure, and whole host of different reasons. The reality is that it doesn't end up making a lot of difference until you are wringing out the last 10% of weight savings possible.
I don't like the look of yellow resin pools, but the bondoing of the corner edges doesn't bother me, not that anyone asked. Leaving it naked is cool, it does invite criticism though

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
how else should it be?

we get it, youre boys with Kevin. no one cares.
Yes, were applauding a company for doing what should be done in a climate where most dont. Extra points? no. But thankfully Kevin is a stand-up dude and doing whats right. He could have very easily and saved himself alot of walking money doing something else.

Also, being friendly with KEvin is irrelevant. I bought a bike and had a warranty and like everyone else waited. So, my friendship doesnt mean **** because he did the same thing for me as he did for other warranties.

What no one really cares about is anything you post here, seriously. not a soul gives a ****.

Mine is sitting at 39lbs in the pic.
Fox RC4, Canfield Tough Run Rims, Conti Rain Kings, 11-28 Ultegra Cassette, Thomson Elite Seatpost, Funn saddle, Candy DM Stem and Bar, ODI Grips and Hayes Prime Experts and Marz 888 Evo V2, E-13 LG-1, E-13 36t Chainring and E-13 DH cranks.

Im going to swap between Vivid Air and the RC4. Ive never made any effort to save weight but I'd like to see it at 38/39lbs total. I ordered a Zee Shadow Derailleur and Shifter.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
you seem to care which makes me laugh. im glad you are still supporting a company wholeheartedly whos finally doing "the right thing." and i still find it funny that a few of you that have been waiting this long have had the patience to wait two years while a company completely redesigns a failed bike

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that is black bondo used to fill in voids where the mold wasn't filled and sanded smooth.

there's 3 states:
1. voids between the mold cavity and fiber that are filled by resin during the curing process.
2. voids between the mold cavity and fiber that are not filled by resin, and are filled with bondo during finishing.
3. perfectly filled frame with no voids

Obviously, the latter is what is the holy grail. It is hard to get there, especially if you have a lot of sharp corners and areas where you don't have compaction from internal pressure, and whole host of different reasons. The reality is that it doesn't end up making a lot of difference until you are wringing out the last 10% of weight savings possible.
I don't like the look of yellow resin pools, but the bondoing of the corner edges doesn't bother me, not that anyone asked. Leaving it naked is cool, it does invite criticism though
Thanks. I seem to recall Trek playing with the term "OCLV", optimum compaction low void. Never new what it meant, but your post helps.

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
Thanks. I seem to recall Trek playing with the term "OCLV", optimum compaction low void. Never new what it meant, but your post helps.
i forgot #4: taking it out of the curing mold, and over-wrapping all of the crap with a weave for the finish step. The ultimate in carbon douchebaggery. The technology that brings you carbon hoods for your neighborhood honda civic.
so sick. i'm not douche-free, my countertop is made from it i got from the local surf shop. 2k twill is like crack for motorheads.

acronyms don't actually mean anything but they are important branding vehicles, even when the marketing department talked to some engineers about what might be considered important. No knocking Trek, but what OCLV was 20 years ago "might" be different than today. Acronym remains unchanged, Trek and OCLV brand is strengthened by not making too many things out of "OCLV" that aren't POS. (thats pieces of sh*t for you grammarians). I don't think that Spec's FACT ever got real traction because it sounded like it was trying too hard to be a word and totally fictionalized the process.
OCLV doesn't roll off the tongue, and it has some real connotations with the words which is, imo, why it had staying power.

Anyway, back to page 83...