Quantcast

prestonDH

Chimp
Aug 8, 2013
Denver, CO & Dallas, TX
So I have posted on here before, a few months back, about an issue which ended up being the tire rubbing the back of my seat. I run a dhx rc4 and a vivid air r2c and frankly I think I like the vivid better and here is why which is also a question. I was riding the trail I have ridden countless times, nothing new but maybe going a little harder/faster than usual but even then the bike should not have an issue with this trail. I had changed back to the rc4 and hit a step down, maybe 6 ft total drop to a smooth transition and I heard and felt something go wrong. After inspection my rear derailuer was snapped in half AND my shock had somehow scrapped a gouge into the rear wheel carbon fender (pics to come). Certainly did not get hung up on a rock to break the rear derailluer because this is an all dirt trail freeride and flowy. While that sucks I am much more concerned about the shock and somehow damaging the fender. The shock was firmly installed the bolts holding front and rear had not come loose. Any thoughts?

Also should the bottom out control be all the way on the minus or plus for the evils suspension setup? I am 150lbs and have a 400# to spring and don't think I am bottoming out but it feels like it may be a bit harsh in the end stroke. As for the top of the spring, the preload screw, how tight should that be? Any helps/thoughts/inputs appreciated. Thanks guys!

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
Got all my bits now... weeee

Evil Undead large frame
2014 Fox 40 Float fork
2014 Vivid R2C shock with 350lb ti spring
Enve DH rims on DT Swiss 240s hubs & DT Swiss spokes
Minion DHF tires
Hope integrated crown/stem
Enve downhill handlebar 780mm
ODI Machine lock on grips
Thomson seatpost
WTB Devo carbon seat
Race Face SIXC crankset /w Race Face wide-narrow chainring
E13 LG1+ chain guide
KMC X10SL chain
Shimano Dura-Ace 11-25 cassette
Shimano Saint brakes
Shimano Saint shifter
Shimano Saint derailleur
HT ME03 pedals

15.9kg

edit:... edit (video) will come soon!

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
I ride a Large, and I'm 5,9"

I can't fathom that anyone at 6,2" would feel comfy on it.

My deemaxes are being fixed at the moment, which will replace the Stans.

Last edited:

Glisseur

Chimp
Jan 16, 2009
Åre, Sweden
I'm 6'1" and couldn't be happier on my XL. I used to ride a Large Revolt a couple of years ago but it always felt cramped and like I was way too much over the rear wheel when things got steep and gnarly. The XL gives me more room to move around without ever feeling like an aircraft carrier, it's just perfect.

I've also been on the 2014 RS Vivid for the entire season. I started out with the Mid compression tune but it felt a bit dead and overdamped so I switched to a Low tune and everything just came together. This bike (or at least me on this bike) definitely prefers less compression (I guess most of Weagle's linkage constructions do). My only gripe was the bottom out control with Evil's recommended settings, I found I blew through the travel on square edged and similar hits way too easy. A few clicks on the ending stroke rebound solved that problem. I also slowed down the BSR to control the better control the ride at the top of the travel, which in the end gave me a perfect balance between pop and plow.

I started out with a 450 spring and about 30-33% percent sag, which just felt harsh and never right. After I moved up to a 500 spring and 20-25% sag the bike came alive in a whole new way. Don't hesitate to try a firmer spring rate, you'll be rewarded with a much livlier ride.

My settings:
Spring: 500 lbs (my weight is 195 lbs)
Comp: 1 click from closed (Evil recommends 1)
BSR: 3 clicks from closed (Evil recommends 6)
ESR: 4 clicks from closed (Evil recommends 2)

Bearling life could've have been a lot better though, I had to replace the spherical bearings at least twice during the season. However, Enduro has just released a new dual row roller bearing specifically for the Undead: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id169.html (top of the page)

Evil_Undead.jpg

Last edited:

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
I ride a Large, and I'm 5,9"

I can't fathom that anyone at 6,2" would feel comfy on it.

My deemaxes are being fixed at the moment, which will replace the Stans.
I think anyone over 6'0 would want a XL.

My large Undead is just slightly bigger than my medium Demo.

prestonDH

Chimp
Aug 8, 2013
Denver, CO & Dallas, TX
Is there 2 total bearings, 1 on each side of the shock or 2 on each side of the shock for a total of 4? I have not broken down the bike to service it yet to see. The bearings have never been changed and with it being the off season and only $11/ea I will probably just change them out.

Glisseur

Chimp
Jan 16, 2009
Åre, Sweden
You need 4 bearings, 2 on each side. For the rest of the linkage and the main pivot you'll need 2x6901 and 2x6806. Might as well get a full set of fresh bearings while you're at it!

prestonDH

Chimp
Aug 8, 2013
Denver, CO & Dallas, TX
Thanks, I went ahead and ordered a whole new set. I honestly didn't notice any issues with the bearings just more of a pre-emptive measure. Hopefully I can feel a difference with the new ones? Well see I guess.

Dunndog

Chimp
Sep 19, 2012
So, after several years on 2 Session88's, which I love and am sad to see go, I am joining the Evil family and am in the process of ordering my Undead with Kevin at the moment. At 5'11 and a half and 200lbs (ish), I've gone for a large with RC4. Can't wait!
I run a 500lbs spring on my Sesh, and love it, slightly firmer setup.. what would you guys suggest for the undead? Similar rate?
Really pumped to get this thing shipped over and ready for a few race dates from november onwards, it's been very handy reading over this thread to help with my decision as I've not had a chance to ride one so i've put a lot of faith in what you guys amongst others have said about this bike.
My Xmas present to me haha! Happy days.

intenserider

Chimp
Mar 14, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Good stuff Dunndog :) If you're the same Dunndog as Rotorburn, it'll be great to have another one kicking around the Vic trails. I'm 5'10 and went with the medium - I could ride either medium or large, but prefer a smaller reach. I'm around 80kg's and using a 400lbs spring. So as a guess, i'd say a 500lbs would be good for you if you like a firmer setup.

I run it in the Step/Low postion and have not changed it since I built it up. The bike rides so well, I can't fault it. Once you're on one, you'll understand haha. If you want to ride one beforehand, i'm more than happy to organise for you to have a ride of mine, just message me.

Here's mine. Just waiting on the bearings to be delivered - they're in Melbourne, so hopefully today or tomorrow. New brake pads to go in & she's all set for a summer of shred!

Attachments

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I wish you guys luck with Kevin.
I did not have a positive experience with his service.
He replies to emails fast but I soon discovered this was nothing but a facade for stringing people along. After nearly a year of trying to get parts from him I got absolutely nothing, even after offering to pay whatever he asked and providing my address to get a shipping quote. I ended up getting what I needed thanks to a kind RM member sacrificing his personal spares (thanks Fred).

The bike is actually quite good (apart from a few small flaws), but I decided to move on after months and months of frustration trying to deal with the guy. There are plenty of good bikes out there these days and there's no reason to deal with someone like him.

I'm glad that most people got their warranty frames, and also know that some people have received tangible (i.e. parts) support. I also know plenty of people in the same boat as me that have waited months for parts and tolerated his poor-to-nonexistent service out of politeness.

Before giving up completely, I offered him one month to make things right before I cut my losses, moved on, and shared my story. Instead of taking the opportunity to fix things, he accused me of threatening him, and in regards to providing parts he went on to say "...but truthfully after your threatening email I am inclined not to". A convenient excuse to continue to do nothing.

Your mileage may vary, but this is a snippet of my tale. There's a lot more to it and if Kevin decides to chime in here, I will happily share the rest (pictures, videos, emails). Otherwise this will do.

Before the jokers chime in - of course I read all the criticism and horror stories - but everyone deserves a chance. Kevin in my book does not deserve another.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Totally.
Same guy, different frame. You can say "I told you so".

I think one thing I forgot to factor in when jumping in is the MTB bro factor.

Everyone in MTB is a bro of everyone else, so I think a lot of customers let a lot of things slide that wouldn't be acceptable in the real world. Because of this, guys like Kevin seem to think offering lame excuses in place of real support is not only the norm, but completely acceptable.

On the same note, companies like Evil are internally structured on the same methodology. Kevin didn't build this bike, he just managed to link together a few engineering bros, a suspension design bro, put in his design ideas - and fired things off to Hodaka for the construction and most probably some/all of the composite structural engineering.

Works initially if you can coordinate everyone, which he seems to have done decently. The problem is though, when every bro is partially doing you a favour and you aren't paying them industry rates for their skilled labour, you can no longer hold them accountable.

And that's where it falls apart. If you're going to maintain a level of customer service you need to be in a position of authority over every facet of your company. From what I can see Kevin is not in a position of authority over ANY facet of his company. Hodaka is bigger than him, DW is bigger than him, and any engineer worth their salt is going to have a real job that is bigger than him.

Tough gig, but that's why you have to keep bros as bros, and run your business as a business.

Dunndog

Chimp
Sep 19, 2012
Good stuff Dunndog :) If you're the same Dunndog as Rotorburn, it'll be great to have another one kicking around the Vic trails. I'm 5'10 and went with the medium - I could ride either medium or large, but prefer a smaller reach. I'm around 80kg's and using a 400lbs spring. So as a guess, i'd say a 500lbs would be good for you if you like a firmer setup.

I run it in the Step/Low postion and have not changed it since I built it up. The bike rides so well, I can't fault it. Once you're on one, you'll understand haha. If you want to ride one beforehand, i'm more than happy to organise for you to have a ride of mine, just message me.

Here's mine. Just waiting on the bearings to be delivered - they're in Melbourne, so hopefully today or tomorrow. New brake pads to go in & she's all set for a summer of shred!
yep mate that's me, I'll be riding it in Vic through summer and a few VHS races and baw baws opening weekend race. Pumped to get it! Yours looks bloody lovely!
It's a shame to hear the negative stuff. I have gone down this road largely based on the experiences of a mate who's been on Evil since way back, and he has had nothing bad to say. Time will tell I guess, I'm just looking forward to getting this thing built and shredding on it!

Last edited:

prestonDH

Chimp
Aug 8, 2013
Denver, CO & Dallas, TX
As for my experience with Kevin, it was honestly nothing short of great customer service. I live in dallas, and I broke a der hanger and emailed him asking if there was anywhere else cheaper I could get it (silverfish had it for $50 usd after FX conversion and shipping) and he gave me a price less than half that AND offered to send me bearing replacements FREE OF CHARGE. Within 2 days of speaking with him a Fedex package was at my door with the kit. Honestly can not say the only other great customer service exp I have had close to that was with treefort. That kind of speed and service is rare these days, bike company or not. But that is my experience, cant speak for anyone else. Although, it does seem he only responds to his email and not online forums or pink bike etc.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Linky no worky

edit - works now.

Very nice, though all Undeads are looking exactly the same now (everyone's going for the Batmobile look...think I may have to Jazz mine up now)

Last edited:

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
We were told at the bike shop from Kevin that that is not a crack in the frame. Apparently it's just the paint that cracks but the frame is in tact. We were told to tell our customers who bought them to watch out for the paint crack.
As above, it's just the paint that cracks there - because underneath that point is where the alloy and carbon meet externally (internally the alloy skeleton continues further).
it's merely the joint between the carbon layup/al insert and the topcoat paint there. Nothing structural that cracks merely the paint
so I heard new rear-triangles are being delivered in two weeks?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
so I heard new rear-triangles are being delivered in two weeks?
They didn't break. What are you on about?

FYI those were actually paint cracks, none broke to my knowledge - mine didn't anyway.

I'd still buy one over a Tues. Just because you like them. :)

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
The batmobile look is sooooo 2013 and I decided to go fluorescent zombie sled in stead :D

Unfortunately, my photography skills aren't up to scratch, and you can't really see how neon this really is!

Last edited:

intenserider

Chimp
Mar 14, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Your bike looks awesome Supercow 

The new bearings turned up today. I'll change them over in the next few days, then only time will tell if they last any longer. Here's hoping tho!

Attachments

Last edited:

prestonDH

Chimp
Aug 8, 2013
Denver, CO & Dallas, TX
I got some new bearings in as well, for the DELTA link and Flip Chips. BUT when I tried to remove the old spherical bearings it was impossible to get out, I still have yet to find a way to get them out, I thought they were permanent until I spoke with Kevin about it. Any ideas?

Dude!

Chimp
Dec 18, 2010
I got some new bearings in as well, for the DELTA link and Flip Chips. BUT when I tried to remove the old spherical bearings it was impossible to get out, I still have yet to find a way to get them out, I thought they were permanent until I spoke with Kevin about it. Any ideas?
I have learned over the years particularly with bearings, there is the right too for the job. Owing to the links being so small, you will most likely need a vice or a large clamp. You need to find the correct diameter socket and another one that is large, and close the vice around these two different size sockets to push the bearings through. Enduro Bearings makes a more expensive but easier to use bearing press that could work more effectively. A typical bearing puller I don't believe will work as well for this application.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Definitely need a Vice though.
Even the male / Female bolts were impossible to take out without one for me.