Quantcast

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I think it's great that they're willing to warranty old frames for new...but what happens if the new ones start breaking? You have to wait for the next model to come out before you can get a replacement of a new frame?
and what will happen in the interim for those people still waiting? if this is only a first-gen proto, the production model isnt happening anytime soon.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Or maybe Kevin already said on PB that "this will be the first of many full suspension carbon offerings over the coming months."
Jeez, I even threw a smiley face in there. I think you need to re-calibrate your sarcasm meter ;)

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Or clever marketing :D
Believe me we are not that clever, and I use "we" knowing full well that I had nothing to do with this release..

Hey count up the dw-link and Split Pivot full page ads in a moutain bike magazine, then count the ones for any other design. Marketing my a$$.. hah :)

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Ooops, my bad, nope just a screw up on my part, I will ammend!
You know what, Uprising WAS a name for a frame, I forgot!! It never got built because all of the $$ went to trying to fix the production issues with the Revolts. But it wasn't the bike I was referring to so I changed it anyways.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Believe me we are not that clever, and I use "we" knowing full well that I had nothing to do with this release..

Hey count up the dw-link and Split Pivot full page ads in a moutain bike magazine, then count the ones for any other design. Marketing my a$$.. hah :)
I rode a Session for a bit when my Revolt died with no replacement. It looked like a stupid billboard with all the marketing dept names for every little part plastered all over the frame.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
hey Mr. D.W.

quick question for you if you'd be so kind?

-the removable ISCG 05 mount on the new Evil

did this come about from your involvement with the Devinci SP projects?

as I heard from a source at Devinci that you thought their removeable (keyed spline) ISCG mount (which they've had for years) was a pretty smart idea and you were surprised other manufacturers had not used such a system?

personally I think its great so you can:

run with / without ISCG chain device

replace damaged mounts (example a big rock strike on a taco-style chain device)

or even swap the plate between ISCG OLD and 05 if you already own a ISCG chain device and are buying a new frame and don't wanna pony up for a new device or backplate?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
hey Mr. D.W.

quick question for you if you'd be so kind?

-the removable ISCG 05 mount on the new Evil

did this come about from your involvement with the Devinci SP projects?

as I heard from a source at Devinci that you thought their removeable (keyed spline) ISCG mount (which they've had for years) was a pretty smart idea and you were surprised other manufacturers had not used such a system?

personally I think its great so you can:

run with / without ISCG chain device

replace damaged mounts (example a big rock strike on a taco-style chain device)

or even swap the plate between ISCG OLD and 05 if you already own a ISCG chain device and are buying a new frame and don't wanna pony up for a new device or backplate?
You know its funny, I talk to Erick Auger all the time, almost every other day. (He's the engineer who designed the splined ISCG mount back in 2004 or so) I remember exactly where I was when he showed me his first sketches, I had almost the identical sketches in my notebook, which I shared right back, we shared a laugh about it just a couple days ago actually. So yeah, I think it's an awesome idea and I can't believe that more companies haven't followed Devinci's and Erick's lead on that. The design works great!

When I owned e.thirteen I also lobbied for a few companies to let me build a splined on guide to fit their bikes but nobody ever bit. I thought that Specialized was going to go for it circa 2005 but it just never panned out with them. Later on they introduced a splined mount on the Enduro so at least they were listening to some of my ramblings.

Dave

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
when would you use a DH bike without a chain device?
I know one guy who claims you dont need a chain guide for any type of riding but calling him a moron would be an understatement. Still the mount being replacable is nice.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Beat me to it! Congrats on your new job at Yeti, just heard about that!
Thanks dude. I feel really lucky to have landed there after the Race Face debacle.

. . . next mission: get Hoog and Stretch to design our next DH rig with a splined/removable ISCG-05 mount . . .

-JP

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I still can't work out how the company is still going, to have that much trouble with your first venture into DH would surely bankrupt any re-emerging company.

Also with the 300+ frames that are made way outside acceptable tolerances is Evil expected to pay for them even tough they are useless?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
After all of the trouble with farming the job out to the asian pacific, would it not have been cheaper now to have an american frame builder manufacture them?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Also with the 300+ frames that are made way outside acceptable tolerances is Evil expected to pay for them even tough they are useless?
Usually that isn't how it goes, the company I worked for who was sourcing in Southern China was running into quality issues constantly, we withheld payment for the bad goods when that happened. Depends if they paid up front and what the delivery terms were on the sale...

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
when would you use a DH bike without a chain device?
not to use without chain device, but to be able to remove the ISCG mount for when you own an older bottom-bracket mounted chain device? (many ISCG mounts will prevent this style being used)

and don't want to buy another chain device, or an additional back plate for it (if its even available..) just to get your bike running

my 2011 Devinci Dixon SP does not have ISCG mounts and I could not get the Blackspire ISCG stinger or E13 DRS ISCG setup right with the E13 ISCG adapter plate as it pushes the backplate too far out

the Blackspire bottom bracket mounted Stinger was perfect for this application, otherwise I'd have to face 2mm off the driveside shell to use the ISCG adapter, which I was not keen to do on a brand new GBP£1700 frame :)

Last edited:

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
You know its funny, I talk to Erick Auger all the time, almost every other day. (He's the engineer who designed the splined ISCG mount back in 2004 or so) I remember exactly where I was when he showed me his first sketches, I had almost the identical sketches in my notebook, which I shared right back, we shared a laugh about it just a couple days ago actually. So yeah, I think it's an awesome idea and I can't believe that more companies haven't followed Devinci's and Erick's lead on that. The design works great!

When I owned e.thirteen I also lobbied for a few companies to let me build a splined on guide to fit their bikes but nobody ever bit. I thought that Specialized was going to go for it circa 2005 but it just never panned out with them. Later on they introduced a splined mount on the Enduro so at least they were listening to some of my ramblings.

Dave
thanks for the reply

the bottom bracket shell seems pretty substantial on the Devinci, with the splined mounting requiring a decent wall thickness to the shell

is the system engineered so that the removeable mount itself would bend (i.e. a bending 'fuse') on a huge Taco-style impact (I ask because I have never seen one bent on a Devinci) rather than any damage occuring to the splines or bottom bracket shell?

the welded ISCG mounts always seem kinda fragile, is this why a number of companies strictly won't offer warranty if using Taco style chain devices?

*Pepe*

Chimp
Mar 9, 2007
Vancouver, BC
is the system engineered so that the removeable mount itself would bend (i.e. a bending 'fuse') on a huge Taco-style impact (I ask because I have never seen one bent on a Devinci) rather than any damage occuring to the splines or bottom bracket shell?

the welded ISCG mounts always seem kinda fragile, is this why a number of companies strictly won't offer warranty if using Taco style chain devices?
been riding the Devinci removable ISCG mounts since the beginning. i've had both the the tabs and guide fail on huge impacts. either way, at least my frame wasn't damaged. on another occasion the threads stripped on the guide. was i ever happy i could simply replace the mount. what a wicked system for that reason alone.

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
Yeah I got so fed up with the hardware on my personal Revolt that I took it upon myself to redesign the I links, pivot hardware, downtube pivot, and flip chip design. Truthfully the new design is 99% the same as what I originally sketched for the Revolt. Unfortunately the engineer who designed the Revolt did not agree with my ideas and went a different direction. Now the I links have been replaced with double shear H links, I sourced custom spherical bearings from my fiends at Enduro, and the downtube pivot now passes directly through the frame with the bearings in the Delta links themselves. The Undead pivots are simpler, lighter, and significantly more robust than the Revolt's pivots

Thanks,

Dave
Woah, hold on there. Did I misunderstand what you meant or are you saying that the pivots use bearings of a custom size and not standard ones?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Droooool

Rice is that yours? And hence confirming warranty frames are being shipped and hence confirming I may actually get to see one in person soon????
definitely not mine. its Cam Zink's.
i sold my mess a while ago thankfully :thumb:

they are still testing them as far as i know which means more waiting
I think I've ever ridden a dh bike that light. I'd kind of like to.
nuts isnt it. my trail bike is going to be a bit less then this bike.